Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Unable to achieve 4K @ 60Hz using the latest Iris Xe (i7-1165G7)

Jump to solution

My situation is exactly the same as the one mentioned in this post: https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/No-4k-60Hz-output-with-new-Xe-Graphics-i7-1165G7. Unfortunately that post is now closed so I can't comment on it.

I just bought a Dell XPS 13 9310 2-in-1, which includes Intel Iris Xe Graphics. I hooked up the laptop to my LG 27UK850-W 27" 4K monitor, but I'm unable to get the laptop to drive the monitor at 4K @ 60Hz, I can only get it to achieve 4K @ 30Hz, which makes everything sluggish and unbearable.

I have a MacBook Pro that can drive the monitor at 4K @ 60Hz without any issues. I use a USB-C cable that came with the monitor, and I also tried a high-speed HDMI cable with an 4K certified USB-C to HDMI adapter, but I still can get only 30Hz refresh rate.

I installed all the Dell driver and firmware updates as of today. I also installed the latest Intel Graphics driver version 27.20.100.8853 (dated 2020-10-14). And just to be absolutely sure I also installed the latest LG 4K monitor update for Windows 10. All without success.

The Intel Graphics Command Center clearly shows that the monitor is capable of 3840x2160 @ 60Hz, but the only available option for Refresh Rate is 30Hz. Only if I drop the resolution to 2560x1440 then I'm able to select a higher refresh rate 59p, but then everything looks blurry and ugly.

I called Dell support and eventually they said it must be something with the monitor settings, but I have the monitor working with my MacBook Pro at 4K @ 60Hz (screenshot attached), so that doesn't sound correct.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Update:

I just bought a Dell UltraSharp U2710Q 4K monitor, and hooked it to my XPS using the USB-C to USB-C cable that came with the monitor, and it worked at 4K@60Hz. It also worked at 60Hz using the older cable from the LG monitor. I tried the new Dell monitor cable with the LG monitor, and I still get 30Hz, so something is not quite right between the laptop and the LG monitor.

Anyway, I just wanted to report back on my findings in case someone else has the same issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted

Somehow the link to the other post was messed up. This link should work: https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/No-4k-60Hz-output-with-new-Xe-Graphics-i7-1165G7/m-p/1218630...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

First of all, I will repeat my standard guidance: If a cable came with the monitor, it is, without a doubt, absolute garbage and belongs exactly there. Purchase a good cable yourself.

If you are using a dedicated USB-C-to-HDMI or USB-C-to-DP cable/dongle that actually guarantees that it supports 4K@60Hz, then you have a chance of getting 4K@60Hz working. The issue is how many lanes of the USB-C connection are dedicated to graphics. If USB is in use through this connection, half the lanes will be lost to USB support and the best you will ever do is 4K@30Hz. For this reason, I also recommend that you NOT use USB-C-to-USB-C cables to connect a monitor. In this case, USB will be enabled and half of the lanes will be unavailable to graphics.

Hope this helps,

...S

P.S. I do not have anything with Xe graphics, so cannot test this myself. I am providing my standard guidance for HD/UHD graphics. AFAIK, it is still applicable.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Update:

I just bought a Dell UltraSharp U2710Q 4K monitor, and hooked it to my XPS using the USB-C to USB-C cable that came with the monitor, and it worked at 4K@60Hz. It also worked at 60Hz using the older cable from the LG monitor. I tried the new Dell monitor cable with the LG monitor, and I still get 30Hz, so something is not quite right between the laptop and the LG monitor.

Anyway, I just wanted to report back on my findings in case someone else has the same issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Correction: Dell UltraSharp U2720Q (it really sucks that I can't edit my own post).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

I also have an XPS 9310 that is connected by TB to a Dell WD19TB Dock. I have a Samsung LU28R550UQU. 

I have tried 2 scenarios: 

TB > DP 

Connecting TB to the monitor's display port while the XPS is powered on I get 60hz 4K. Once I reboot, I receive 30hz and in the other poster's case, I see 60hz as an available option in the Graphics Command Center.

DP > DP

Connecting by Display port both ways from the dock to monitor allows me to maintain 60hz, but when I reboot I have screen flickering occurring in the bottom left corner of the display. 

So far, I can remedy either situation by removing the cable from the dock and reinserting. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello @KhaledHammouda

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities and for your feedback regarding how to problem has been solved. Since the thread has been marked as "Solved" we will proceed to close this inquiry now from our end. Communications with community peers can continue, but if you need any additional information from Intel, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello @jpc0480

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

If the problem is only occurring when using the Dell Thunderbolt Dock, our recommendation is to address this concern to DELL™ Support for proper assistance and debugging from their site. Intel cannot test all video cable adapters, splitters, and/or docking stations that have not been manufactured by Intel, so we cannot guarantee that these are going to work. For more information please refer to Using Video Cable Adapters, Splitters and/or Docking Stations in Computers not Manufactured by Intel >> https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000026412/graphics.html

If you need further assistance and the issue is occurring when using a straight-through connection with a single cable (e.g.: HDMI-to-HDMI, DisplayPort™ to DisplayPort™), we kindly recommend creating a new thread to isolate your case and system configuration since everyone's situation and environment are unique and this will allow us to focus on one issue at the time.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos