Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20786 Discussions

Unable to achieve 4K @ 60Hz using the latest Iris Xe (i7-1165G7)

KhaledHammouda

My situation is exactly the same as the one mentioned in this post: https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/No-4k-60Hz-output-with-new-Xe-Graphics-i7-1165G7. Unfortunately that post is now closed so I can't comment on it.

I just bought a Dell XPS 13 9310 2-in-1, which includes Intel Iris Xe Graphics. I hooked up the laptop to my LG 27UK850-W 27" 4K monitor, but I'm unable to get the laptop to drive the monitor at 4K @ 60Hz, I can only get it to achieve 4K @ 30Hz, which makes everything sluggish and unbearable.

I have a MacBook Pro that can drive the monitor at 4K @ 60Hz without any issues. I use a USB-C cable that came with the monitor, and I also tried a high-speed HDMI cable with an 4K certified USB-C to HDMI adapter, but I still can get only 30Hz refresh rate.

I installed all the Dell driver and firmware updates as of today. I also installed the latest Intel Graphics driver version 27.20.100.8853 (dated 2020-10-14). And just to be absolutely sure I also installed the latest LG 4K monitor update for Windows 10. All without success.

The Intel Graphics Command Center clearly shows that the monitor is capable of 3840x2160 @ 60Hz, but the only available option for Refresh Rate is 30Hz. Only if I drop the resolution to 2560x1440 then I'm able to select a higher refresh rate 59p, but then everything looks blurry and ugly.

I called Dell support and eventually they said it must be something with the monitor settings, but I have the monitor working with my MacBook Pro at 4K @ 60Hz (screenshot attached), so that doesn't sound correct.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
KhaledHammouda

Update:

I just bought a Dell UltraSharp U2710Q 4K monitor, and hooked it to my XPS using the USB-C to USB-C cable that came with the monitor, and it worked at 4K@60Hz. It also worked at 60Hz using the older cable from the LG monitor. I tried the new Dell monitor cable with the LG monitor, and I still get 30Hz, so something is not quite right between the laptop and the LG monitor.

Anyway, I just wanted to report back on my findings in case someone else has the same issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
21 Replies
JayBaywatch
Beginner

There are enough people reporting similar issues with 4k displays and the IRIS driver to warrant some actual feedback advice from intel. 

You being so dismissive of everyone's issue is counter-productive and wastes everyones time.

I have the *same* problem. The problem being that installing the new IRIS driver broke 4k resolutions, yes it manifests slightly differently and people naturally have diverging setups but everyone reporting has a problem with the intel driver. There are threads all over the internet about the same problem, it's pretty frustrating.

As a coded monkey, going from 3840x2160 to 2160x1440 is no bueno. Everything worked as is, for over 6 months, until windows update decided it was going to replace my intel UHD driver with the IRIS one.

I don't want nor should need to go waste hours or days talking to DELL, when clearly the issue is the intel driver.

0 Kudos