Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20499 Discussions

Unable to select 5120x2160 resolution

MortenMathisen
Beginner

Hi!
I have an Asus Zenbook Duo Pro with Intel UHD Graphics 630 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060. Until recently i've been able to use my 5120x2160 monitor at full resolution, but suddenly i'm stuck at standard 4K. The option of 5120x2160 is simply not there anymore... As a result I have two wide black strips on each side of the picture. 

My monitor is connected via USB-C.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello MortenMathisen, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following: 

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report generated:  

• Open the application, check the "Everything" box, and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".   
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".   
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".   
  • Use the option under the reply window to attach the report to the thread (Drag and drop here or browse files to attach).  

2. Provide the Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers using the problematic setup, follow this link

3. Do you remember making any changes before this behavior started to happen?  

4. From the laptop to the monitor, are you using a straight connection or are you using any adapter? Please provide the brand and model number for the cables and adapter (if used).

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
MortenMathisen
Beginner

Hi!

Thanks for the reply.

1. The SSU-report is attached.
  2. The Graphics-report is attached.
  3. I didn't make any changes as I remember. All I did was close the lid and open it two hours later. Maybe I shut the computer down before doing so, but I'm not sure.
  4. It's connected straight to the monitor. I've tried connecting a Macbook to the monitor using the same cable and it does not have the same problem.

Morten

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Is 5120x2160 a typo? Do you not mean 5120x2880 (i.e. 5K)? According to Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort), 5K is supported by DisplayPort 1.2 (and HDMI 1.4b), but only at 30Hz.

That said, I have seen reports that would seem to indicate that the Intel drivers blindly (and incorrectly) reject all horizontal/vertical resolutions that are above 4096. I am hoping that Intel Customer Support ( @Ronny_G_Intel/@Bryce_Intel?) can verify or refute this.

Of course, this doesn't explain the OP's insistence that this used to work.

...S

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello MortenMathisen,  

As @n_scott_pearson mentioned, your integrated graphics card supports up to 4096x2304@30Hz (HDMI) and 4096x2304@60Hz (DP), check that here under Processor Graphics. I understand that you are looking to accomplish 5120x2160 (I.e. 5K2K WUHD), which is supported by your MSI* display, however; it is not possible with the Intel® graphics. 

If it used to work before, chances are that the combination of Intel®/NVIDIA* cards or just the NVIDIA* card allowed this resolution. Based on this, my recommendation will be checking with Asus* directly to see if the graphics configuration changed for some update or setting in your system. Check here for more information about Switchable Graphics. 

Regards,  

Sebastian M   

0 Kudos
MortenMathisen
Beginner

Ok. I'll check with Asus then.

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello MortenMathisen, 

Thanks for the reply. 

We will proceed to close this inquiry from our side. If you have any additional questions, please submit a new thread as this one will no longer be monitored.   

Regards,   

Sebastian M    

0 Kudos