Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20948 Discussions

Unable to set 2560x1140 (21:9) Intel UHD 770

Justin73
Beginner

Hi, I am using a DELL Inspiron 3020 with an Intel UHD 770 and a LG ultrawide monitor (29WP500). I had looked through different forums and I could not find a way to display 21:9 graphics on the monitor. I have tried connecting the monitor with another laptop computer and everything worked fine. I have attached the SSU report and the Driver report. It would be great if the problem could be solved. Thank you.

Justin73_0-1700662307235.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @Justin73  

Thank you for your contribution to this, Mr. Scott. 

In case there are no adapters and it's a straight connection, as per your Laptop's model manual, your HDMI port resolution is limited to 1920x1200 (page 15). 

As your System Manufacturer only allows a max of 1920 x 1200 via HDMI, you might not be able to go further through this port. Besides this resolution of 1920x1200 is not within the EDID of the monitor as per the IGCC report, which is one of the reasons why you are only reaching 1600 x 900 (and this resolution is within the EDID of this monitor as per the IGCC report).  

I noticed that this monitor doesn't have a DisplayPort option and Intel does not recommend using any kind of adapters and can not guarantee 3rd party products/adapters will work as expected: Using Video Cable Adapters, Splitters, and/or Docking Stations in Computers not Manufactured by Intel 

In summary, this seems to be a System Manufacturer limitation, so we recommend you contact them for further assistance. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @Justin73  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

I understand that you are having issues with your resolution settings, I will do my best to assist you here. 

Please try updating your graphics driver to the System Manufacturer's driver 31.0.101.4502. If it doesn't work, update the driver to the latest Intel graphics driver version 31.0.101.4972. Check the notes below before doing this step: 

Note #1: Make sure to check you have all the Windows updates before doing the driver installation. Also, make sure to do this step disconnected from the internet (wi-fi or wired connection) since Microsoft updates drivers automatically and prevents doing the clean installation successfully. 

Note #2: Since this is a laptop, we recommend using the driver software provided by your System Manufacturer to avoid potential installation incompatibilities. Intel supplies generic versions of Graphics Drivers for general purposes. Computer manufacturers might have changed the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to the graphics driver software or software packaging. 

Note #3: In case you had to use the Intel driver, please find the instructions on how to install the driver in this article: How to Install an Intel® Graphics Driver in Windows® 10 & Windows 11*

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Justin73
Beginner

Hi Jocelyn, thank you for your help. I have followed your instructions and updated the graphics driver. However, the problem persists. There is still not an option for 2560x1140 in the graphics tab.

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @Justin73  

Thank you for the information provided. 

Please try a Clean installation of your graphics drivers, using the System Manufacturer's driver 31.0.101.4502. If it doesn't work, try this step with the latest Intel graphics driver version 31.0.101.4972

If the issue persists, please attach a new SSU report so we can investigate further this issue. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Justin73
Beginner

Hello Jocelyn, I have tried a clean installation of the two graphics drivers. however the issue persists. Attached are the SSU reports. Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @Justin73  

Thank you for the reports provided. 

In that case, let me do some research about this issue. As soon as I have updates or recommendations, I will let you know. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @Justin73  

Thank you for your time. 

Can you please confirm the following? 

1. Are you using a straight connection from the monitor to your laptop (e.g. HDMI to HDMI)? Or are you using adapters? 
  2. What is the model of the monitor? Please specify. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Monitor was described in original post: LG ultrawide monitor (29WP500). It has HDMI inputs.

Specs for Inspiron 3020 indicate both HDMI (1.4b) and DisplayPort (1.4) outputs.

There is something in specs that might explain the problem. It says: "NOTE: HDMI port resolution is up to 1920 x 1200".

I wonder if the answer here is to use DP-to-HDMI adapter.

Hope this helps,

..S

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Oh, and according to the specs for the monitor, it is only 2560x1080, not 2560x1140.

...S

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @Justin73  

Thank you for your contribution to this, Mr. Scott. 

In case there are no adapters and it's a straight connection, as per your Laptop's model manual, your HDMI port resolution is limited to 1920x1200 (page 15). 

As your System Manufacturer only allows a max of 1920 x 1200 via HDMI, you might not be able to go further through this port. Besides this resolution of 1920x1200 is not within the EDID of the monitor as per the IGCC report, which is one of the reasons why you are only reaching 1600 x 900 (and this resolution is within the EDID of this monitor as per the IGCC report).  

I noticed that this monitor doesn't have a DisplayPort option and Intel does not recommend using any kind of adapters and can not guarantee 3rd party products/adapters will work as expected: Using Video Cable Adapters, Splitters, and/or Docking Stations in Computers not Manufactured by Intel 

In summary, this seems to be a System Manufacturer limitation, so we recommend you contact them for further assistance. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Justin73
Beginner

Thank you @Jocelyn_Intel and @n_scott_pearson  for taking your time helping me out, I will look into it with Dell. 

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @Justin73  

Thank you for your reply.

I am glad I could assist you until now and I hope you can get further assistance for this issue soon with them. 

This thread will no longer be monitored, but if you need assistance with other matters, feel free to contact us and submit a new post. 

Have a nice day. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
MilenaR
Beginner

Hola,  @Jocelyn_Intel @Justin73 @n_scott_pearson 

Tengo el mismo problema con una computadora Lenovo IdeaPad Slim 5 16IRL8 - Serie tipo 82XF. y con un monitor LG ultrawide (29WP500) ya tengo los controladores actualizados y Intel(R) UHD Graphics con la versión del controlador 31.0.101.5333, ¿sabes cómo puedo hacer que tome la resolución recomendada, que es 2560 x 1080?

Muchas gracias

0 Kudos