Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Unusable computer after Intel Graphics driver update

hoacin
Novice

Hi!

Two days ago my laptop (an ASUS P4540UQ with Windows 10 Pro 64bit) became totally unusable after an automatic update started by Intel Driver & Support Assistant. First everything seemed to be all right - the software downloaded the latest driver for my onboard video card - an Intel HD Graphics 620 - and when asked by the installer I restarted my system. The system got to the login screen just fine. After I log into Windows however I was not able to do anything anymore. I saw the desktop and the taskbar with the start menu, but the screen just kept flickering intensely and the laptop  became unusable. I could only switch it off physically, by pressing the power on button. I tried to boot in Safe Mode, which was successful, however when I tried to:

* uninstall the driver 

* disable Intel HD Graphics 620

* or roll back to an older, working driver

the computer immediately became unresponsive.

The only way I could gain access to my computer again was to boot into Linux from a flash drive. Under Linux the laptop works just fine.

It would be great if you could provide any help or information about this issue. Browsing through the internet I found a case similar to mine on HP's support forum - posted in a few days ago too.

Thanks

@hoacin

PS: English is not my mother tongue, so please excuse me for the possible grammatical mistakes.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @hoacin 

1.  Boot from your Windows 10 installation USB. If you don't have one yet, prepare it using Microsoft Media Creation Tool.
  2.  Select your language preferences and click/tap on Next.
  3.  Click/tap on Repair your computer at the bottom
  4. Click/tap on Troubleshoot.
  5.  Click/tap on Advanced options
  6.  Click/tap on System Restore (use a restore point recorder on your PC to restore Windows). 
  7.  If prompted, click/tap on an administrator and follow the instruction on screen. Select the restore point form the list. 
  8.  After few Nexts, click Finish confirmed by Yes - the restore will start. 
  9.  Your PC will now restart and perform a System Restore. 
  10. When the System Restore has completed successfully, click/tap on Restart.

Hope this helps
    Leon

hoacin
Novice

Hi @LeonWaksman,

thank you for your answer, but unfortunately it does not solve the problem. The system restore finishes the process just fine, but after restarting the system, the issue persists. The laptop's screen keeps flickering and the computer becomes totally unresponsive. At this moment I am writing from a live Linux. With the Linux drivers the computer works excellently. It seems that the latest Windows drivers are extremely faulty. I do hope they will soon launch new ones with fixes!

Thank you for your help!

@hoacin 

0 Kudos
Bastet
New Contributor I

With the boot CD can you roll back the Intel drivers?
Unless you have a system image this will be the only way of removing those drivers.

hoacin
Novice

Hi,

It seems I've finally found a solution. It is partial, but it is more than nothing. Looks like that the new drivers corrupt the Intel Driver & Support Assistant too. The only way I was able to delete the corrupted drivers and Intel Driver & Support Assistant was by the UEFI. I disabled Intel HD Graphics (in my computer there is a dedicated GPU too) and then I was able to boot into Windows normally. Then first I removed the Intel GPU drivers. However after the restart I got a BSOD. Then I boot in Safe Mode and I removed Intel Driver & Support Assistant. Now my Windows working fine again, with the default Windows drivers. I decided not to install an older Intel Graphics driver - I will wait for the new fixed ones. Hopefully someone at Intel has already realized there is a problem with the current ones. I'll keep a sharp eye on the driver section of Intel's website.

Thank you all for your kind help!

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @hoacin 

I'm glad that you found a solution to remove the Intel Driver. I think that easier was to do this as I suggested - withe restoring system to previous configuration. I understand  that you performed the restore and it didn't help. In this case you should do an other restore, this time choosing an older restore point.

I want to tell you also that Intel DSA is not designed to support other than Intel computers. Specially it should not be used for laptops. Laptops drivers are in most cases customized by the OEM. So, the user should install the drivers downloaded from the OEM site and use OEM utilities to update laptop drivers. FYI, I've installed the latest Intel DCH drivers on three Intel NUC (different models) and have no observed any functional problem. However, I don't understand why you and other Asus laptop users have this problem, since you have quite modern 7th generation CPU and Intel DCH driver should work for you. Did you asked Asus support? There is one?

Leon

hoacin
Novice

Hi @leon,

Yes, I have contacted with ASUS support and they informed me that in the case of Intel Graphics drivers they are recommending the ones directly from Intel (usually it is not customized by them as an OEM) and so far (for almost two years now) I've always used Intel Driver & Support Assistant to keep my system up to date without any problems. However it seems that this issue not only affects ASUS laptops but other models that made by HP, as I've found quite a few inquiry (all posted about two days ago) about the exact same problem as I was browsing trough their support forums. The users got the same results as I did, and they too confirmed that the problem was caused by the latest Intel Graphics Drivers.

Unfortunately, for some reason none of the older restore points helped me out, that's why I decided to try something else. 

Hopefully they will eventually find out what causes this strange error.

Thank you again for your kind help! I appreciate it very much!

Hoacin

Bastet
New Contributor I

There is certainly a problem.

This is what I’ve done:
Restored via image.
went to device manager & clicked Intel display driver & selected update, chose to search PC for compatible driver & reinstalled previous driver (this alone may fix the black screen).
Installed new driver & boot was over 3 minutes before I reached the log in screen.
Restarted again & it was the same.
I’m now going to restore again as this is unacceptable.

Bastet
New Contributor I

Confirmed there’s a problem by using DDU to cleanly remove the Intel driver then reinstall the latest driver.

Currently using a driver from June 2019 with 0 problems.

Alexandr
Beginner

I have 3 years from the date of purchase of Intel® Core ™ i5-7400 Processor. Constant problems after installing the official driver for Intel® HD Graphics 630 - the screen turns black, the computer restarts to the desktop, then immediately freezes. Windows 10 works ONLY with the standard driver from Windows 10. But the system keeps finding the Intel® HD Graphics 630 driver
and installs it. I always install the most recent official drivers. 

0 Kudos
AlonsoJayo
Beginner

Tengo un problema similar, el día 20/08/2020 se instaló la actualización de la Intel Grapichs UHD 620, luego reinicié y ahora me va toda la laptop super lenta.

No sé como solucionar este problema.

Bastet
New Contributor I

Same for me, boot now takes 7+ minutes if it boots at all.
Mine is Intel HD 530, before the update all was fine. I’ve been blaming other software but today I restored with Macrium & only updated the graphics & the slowdown has appeared again.