Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20628 Discussions

Updating an older laptop's video card drivers.

O_Rochester
Beginner

Hi folks. Probably a pretty typical story here. My son found an old unused laptop of ours. We reset it back to original (using recovery) and updated everything that could be done online.

Specs -

Satellite L505-S5990 - Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 - Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit - And the graphics info is Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDMM 1.1)

He wants to play a game, and when we downloaded it, an error message popped up, it read...

"An OpenGL driver for your video card was not found. The game will not run with your current configuration. Please update your video card drivers in order to add OpenGL support."

It then says contact nvidia, ati, or intel to update. We rant the intel diagnostic and it says up to date. I chatted with an intel tech, they said they no longer support updates to this machine as it is old.

Basically, can I do anything to resolve? Can something be done online, or do I need something else? Or is it a lost cause?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Sorry, this 2009 laptop is a paperweight.  Nothing (processor, graphics) are supported.

Take it to the recycle bin, and get a new laptop.

Doc

0 Kudos
O_Rochester
Beginner

Thought as much, thanks. 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You may get some additional mileage out of it if you put a Linux distribution onto it. Ubuntu would be a good choice. Yea, it won't have the same gaming choices, but really, there aren't that many games that the kids want these days yet will still run on hardware this old.

...S

0 Kudos