Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20603 Discussions

Upgrading a graphics driver to Open GL 3.3

Duncaninfrance

I am trying to run new photo software but it won't install and says I need to upgrade my Graphics Driver to OPEN GL 3.3

This is my current system.

How do I go about the upgrade IF my system can be upgraded.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AlHill
Super User

Hopefully/probably, your motherboard has a PCIe x16 slot.  If it does, great.  So, you would look for an nvidia graphics card that is PCIe x16 compatible.  Now, many [new] cards will claim backward compatibility.  Some are, a lot are not.  Some will work, some will not.

So, you want to look for an older card, perhaps in the range of a GTX 760 or a GTX 1060.  They still have drivers that are being updated by nvidia for Windows 10.

Doc

View solution in original post

4 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Your 2nd gen processor is not supported.  If your OS is W10, you will be running the Microsoft generic driver, which lacks features.

There is no driver update available from Intel.

If your machine is a desktop, you might want to find a compatible nvidia card.  Compatibility is key.

If your machine is a laptop, there is nothing you can do.

Doc

0 Kudos
Duncaninfrance

Yes, it is a desktop PC.

How do I go about finding a compatible nvidia card.

I am great with a cam,era by rubbish with computer internals!!

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Hopefully/probably, your motherboard has a PCIe x16 slot.  If it does, great.  So, you would look for an nvidia graphics card that is PCIe x16 compatible.  Now, many [new] cards will claim backward compatibility.  Some are, a lot are not.  Some will work, some will not.

So, you want to look for an older card, perhaps in the range of a GTX 760 or a GTX 1060.  They still have drivers that are being updated by nvidia for Windows 10.

Doc

Duncaninfrance

Thank you very much for the help.

0 Kudos