Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20784 Discussions

VGA on HG Graphics 530

MMich31
Beginner

My mother board has 3 connectors, 1 VGA and 2 HDMI. If I have 1 HDMI monitor plugged in life is grand. If I have 2 HDMI plugged in it insist there is also a VGA monitor. In a triangular arrangement I put the VGA on top and the two HDMI monitors side by side on the bottom. I make HDMI 1 the main monitor. The mouse can still disappear into the ghost monitor but it is still usable. Annoying but usable.

To add to the problem if something goes wrong then after the OS loads it goes to some kind of default where the VGA is the main display. The monitors are arranged in a single line: VGA, HDMI1 and HDMI 2. Since there is no VGA monitor then I cannot log in. I just ran a drive upgrade and it made no difference.

The motherboard is an AdvanceTech AIMB-785g2-00A1E. The processor is an I7-6700TE.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi MichaelIMA,

It is an expected behavior, when you move the mouse completely to the left site; about the main monitor I suggest you to check on the BIOS if there is a way to choose the display's order, there you can select the VGA as a main monitor.

Please let me know if it helps.

Regards,

Hellen.

0 Kudos
MMich31
Beginner

You confirmed it and I just got a confirmation from another source. There is a bug in the Intel chip set that cannot tell if a VGA monitor is plugged in. It always thinks there is a VGA monitor there and reports it to Windows.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi MichaelInMA,

To better understanding, could you please explain to me this: (There is a bug in the Intel chip set that cannot tell if a VGA monitor is plugged in. It always thinks there is a VGA monitor there and reports it to Windows.)

Regards,

Hellen.

0 Kudos
MMich31
Beginner

The motherboard comes from Advantech, part number: AIMB-785. It uses your 6th Generation I7-6700. The firmware comes from American Megatrends.

From my piont of view I do not know how to state it any more clearly. The graphics processor always thinks there is a VGA monitor plugged in and reports to Windows there is a VGA monitor plugged in.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi MichaelInMA,

I understand that this situation is kind of confuse, let's narrow down the issue. Could you please verify if there is on the BIOS any display option?

Could you please attach the Intel® Graphics report?

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005848.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005848.html

Regards,

Hellen.

0 Kudos
MMich31
Beginner

There is an option in BIOS to select the main display. The VGA display is still hanging around. It will be a couple of weeks before I get access to the computer again to provide the graphics report.

Note, I have been working with Advantech. They are able to duplicate the problem. If you send me a message I will give you his e-mail. I am reluctant to post someone's e-main on an open forum.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi MichaelInMA,

I suggested this because on Intel® BIOS settings there is a Display option where you select the main monitor. You can try loading default settings on the BIOS, this could also help.

Sure, I'll send you an e-mail in order to have the update and see if there is something else I could do for you.

Regards,

Hellen.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi MichaelInMA,

I would like to know if there is something else I could do for you.

Regards,

Hellen.

0 Kudos
MMich31
Beginner

I had to ship the first computer to France. I just got another one 2 days ago. This is a really ugly answer and to took considerable time to come up with. I would like to thank Joseph Miller of AdvanceTech for his support, testing, and part of the answer.

To disable the VGA monitor you must do the following 3 items:

1. In BIOS change CHIPSET / SYSTEM AGENT (SA) CONFIGURATION / GRAPHICS CONFIGURATION / LCD CONTORL / PRIMARY IGFX BOOT DISPLAY to DVI1
  2. In BIOS change CHIPSET / SYSTEM AGENT (SA) CONFIGURATION / GRAPHICS CONFIGURATION / LCD CONTORL / SECONDARY IGFX BOOT DISPLAY to DVI2
  3. In Windows change CONTROL PANEL / APPEARANCE AND PERSONALIZATION / DISPLAY / SCREEN RESOLTION / MONITOR 1 to "Disconnect this display"

NOTES:

In BIOS if you leave behind one of the boot displays as VBIOS DEFAULT then it can automatically change the main screen to the VGA monitor.

The DVI ports auto-detect if something is plugged in. The VGA port does not. The DVI monitors do not need to be on they just need to be plugged in.

To BIOS the bottom connecter is DVI1 and the top is DVI2. They show up in windows as monitors 2 and 3 respectively (most of the time but not always depending on what is plugged in).

The VGA monitor is always reported in Windows as monitor 1.

You cannot disconnect the VGA port unless both DVI ports are connected to monitors.

BOTTOM LINE:

This is an Intel problem. The display controller is embedded into the i7 processor. It may not be a bug but is an unpleasant nuance. They favor the VGA port to an annoying degree.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi MichaelInMA,

Thanks for this information; I hope that Joseph's suggestion helps you with the configuration you are looking for.

If there is anything else you need, please let me know.

Regards,

Hellen.

0 Kudos