Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Valorant Driver Compatibility Issues - UHD 620

JensA
Novice

Ever since upgrading the UHD 620 (i5 8250) drivers on my laptop, I've been having game-breaking stuttering whenever a 3d entity loads (which is almost constantly) in Valorant.

More details in the "Graphics bug report" form attached. 

Labels (1)
128 Replies
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello JensA, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

We would like to replicate this behavior internally. Additionally to all the information that you have provided, we would like to have some other details to fully understand the problem, please provide the following: 

1. What are the settings that you are using to play this game? Please provide a screenshot of all the settings that you are using. I would like to let you know that you can visit gameplay.intel.com, and search based on your processor and game, the website will show some recommended settings. Have you tried them already? Please check the screenshots.zip attached. 

2. Please provide a video of the behavior, provide a video using a driver prior the 27.20.100.8587 version and another one using the driver 27.20.100.8587 or newer for comparison. You can upload the file here using the Drag and drop here or browse files to attach option, or you can upload the videos to a platform (e.g. YouTube*) and share the public link. 

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

JensA
Novice

Thank you for the response, Sebastian.

Below I have linked two YouTube videos, with the links correlating to the relevant driver used in the footage.

Thank you for the suggestion. I have already checked out gameplay.intel.com, but I tend to lower my video settings to the absolute minimum when I play Valorant to maximize FPS (as visible in the videos). Regardless of adjusting video settings, upgrading my graphics drivers is the only thing that consistently causes such extreme stutter. My average FPS in game usually hovers around 70-90 although I have it capped to 80, upgrading my drivers didn't affect fps while not freezing.

This stutter present when upgrading drivers doesn't persist in any other games as far as I know. I occasionally play League of Legends without any issue.

I attached screenshots of the settings I use when playing Valorant, the same settings are used regardless of drivers.

Videos:

Driver version .8476: https://youtu.be/4ipdvdEBbe0

Driver version .8587: https://youtu.be/Xr8Gz5GITYk

AravindM
Beginner
Have you found a solution ? If so can you please help me out as well
Thanks and regards
0 Kudos
JensA
Novice
Hello AravindM,

UHD 620 driver version 27.20.100.8476 and older versions work fine for me.
I downloaded them from the Intel website.

My laptop manufacturer's provided drivers also work, but they were last updated in early 2019.
0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello JensA, 

Thank you very much for the detailed reports. 

We will review this behavior internally, please kindly wait for our response. As soon as we have an update on this we will post it on this thread.

Regards,   

Sebastian M   

Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello JensA,  

Thank you patiently waiting. 

We tried replicating this internally in which we did not encounter the same behavior as yours, please check the following link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PnTAvP0rFWeu9OcJDaNcP2jGwJBCpvYQ/view?usp=sharing 

Our setup is as follows: 

• Intel® NUC mini PC with an i3-7100U 
  • Intel® HD Graphics 620  
  • Driver version: 27.20.100.8783 

We noticed that you are using the Windows 10 18363 build, can you try to update it to the 19041 and let us know about the outcome? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028685/windows-10-get-the-update 

Regards,    

Sebastian M    

Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel or any of its products is implied.  

JensA
Novice

Thank you for the suggestion, Sebastian.

I updated Windows and installed the latest graphics drivers from Intel. Unfortunately, the problem still persists. I've linked a video below as evidence.

Is there a way for me to choose which features get installed from the graphics driver update, or perhaps a way for me to rollback my Vulkan version to before the "Vulkan*3 extension VK_EXT_pipeline_creation_cache_control" feature was introduced?

I'm still not certain that Vulkan is the issue, but that is the only notable change between ".8476" and ".8587" as far as I know. Thank you once again for the effort.

Windows 10 update + driver install: https://youtu.be/T1BtYuDHwYI

Shanthosh
Beginner

I can confirm that the issue persists in windows 11. I am using the newest beta driver and my windows version is 22000.100

0 Kudos
Shanthosh
Beginner

Is there any fix going on for this issue? Also you guys said you couldn't replicate the issue while sending a video of you replicating the exact issue. the ADS lag at 0:02 and the shooting lag at 2:06 seconds of the video is what we are talking about. It is especially noticable when you shoot, or take out a new gun, which you never did in the video.That lag only happens once. after an action is loaded it is playable. The video you sent looks playable, but it is a lot worse in a actual game. That is the training range. roll back to driver 8476 and the ADS lag is no longer there. I have the exact same specs.

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello JensA,   

Thank you for the information provided. 

It is not possible to choose what features will be installed or not by the driver, and it is not possible to change/rollback the Vulkan extension either as it is built into the driver. 

We will proceed to double-check this behavior internally, please wait for a response. Once we have an update we will post it here.  

Regards,     

Sebastian M     

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello JensA,    

Thank you for waiting. 

This behavior will be investigated internally, however; we would like to check if you see any improvement using the latest DCH driver versions (stable and BETA), please try doing a clean installation: 

1. Download the latest DCH drivers and save them on the computer:  
  1. Disconnect from the Internet so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update. 
  2. Uninstall the driver and the Intel Graphics Control Panel from Control Panel > Programs and Features
  3. Restart the computer. 
  4. Confirm in Device Manager > Video Adapters the controller is listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' > if not, repeat steps 2 through 4. 
  5. If the adapter continues to be listed as ‘Intel HD Graphics’ or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under 'Programs and Features' for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager
    1. Right-click on 'Intel HD Graphics' or similar, and select 'Uninstall Device
    2. In the pop-up window make sure 'Delete the driver software for this device' is checked. 
    3. Click on 'Uninstall'. 
    4. Restart. (Repeat steps 6.1.1 through 6.1.4 until the device gets listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter') 
  6. Install the DCH drivers downloaded on step 1. 
  7. Restart the computer. 
  8. Reconnect to the Internet. 

Regards,      

Sebastian M      

JensA
Novice
Thank you for the effort Sebastian.

Unfortunately, I did a clean install of the latest stable and beta drivers separately (making sure it reset back to Microsoft basic display adapter) but they continue to have issues.

I'm beginning to think it may be a hardware issue, but I have no clue.

I'm willing to take any future suggestions if something comes up.
0 Kudos
Utzav
New Contributor I

Hello Jensa,

I don't think that's your hardware problem because i have the same problem as yours.

After updating my intel UHD 620 graphics driver DCH(27.20.100.8783), i also got the same problem as yours that is the lags and shutters in the mid gun fights at the beginning of the match.

Also, i play rocket league too and before the latest driver update(i.e27.20.100.8783), the game was buttery smooth and no single lag but after updating the game now doesnt even load normally its full of frame spikes and freeze for 3-6 seconds.

And talking about Valorant, now i am getting this problem which is attached below:

Also after updating the latest driver version this error was seen!. Before i didn't used to get this problem.

Hope intel will fix all kinda problems ASAP! 🙂

0 Kudos
Utzav
New Contributor I

Hello intel,

the latest driver i.e 27.20.100.8853 also didnt helped for valorant as it performed as same as previous 27.20.100.8783 .

i have updated to latest version of windows update.

the driver version 27.20.100.8476 is working without lags in practice mode but i cannot get into other game modes and this erro was showing which i attached down below:

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello everyone,

Intel needs your help to properly sort out this issue.

From the moment you all reported this issue to us, our debug engineers tried reproducing this issue in our test labs to no avail -yet - They tested a wide plethora of hardware (from 6th generation processors all the way up to 10th generation) and reported back that they still can't see the issue (i.e. noticeable lag after updating the graphics driver).

We're looking to identify what could be the reason of this disparity in the results vs. what you experience. One observation is that our debug team is starting off a clean game installation. Can any of you try uninstalling the game completely (uninstall + delete leftover game files) and then reinstall? Please report back if that makes any difference. A video recording (even if it is recorded with your mobile phone) showing us how to reproduce the issue would be fantastic! I know is a lot to ask but if it shows the step-by-step it would certainly help. Btw, don't forget to also show your current game settings!

Lastly, please include your latest DxDiag.txt report

I look forward to hearing from all of you again.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello everyone,

Intel needs your help to properly sort out this issue.

From the moment you all reported this issue to us, our debug engineers tried reproducing this issue in our test labs to no avail -yet - They tested a wide plethora of hardware (from 6th generation processors all the way up to 10th generation) and reported back that they still can't see the issue (i.e. noticeable lag after updating the graphics driver).

We're looking to identify what could be the reason of this disparity in the results vs. what you experience. One observation is that our debug team is starting off a clean game installation. Can any of you try uninstalling the game completely (uninstall + delete leftover game files) and then reinstall? Please report back if that makes any difference. A video recording (even if it is recorded with your mobile phone) showing us how to reproduce the issue would be fantastic! I know is a lot to ask but if it shows the step-by-step it would certainly help. Btw, don't forget to also show your current game settings!

Lastly, please include your latest DxDiag.txt report

I look forward to hearing from all of you again.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
Utzav
New Contributor I

Hello @RonaldM_Intel 

After unistalling the whole game(including left over files) and reinstalling the game :Valorant, there wasn't any changes in the game . I have attached the clips showing how it was performing before vs how it performed in the latest graphics driver.

driver 8476 :

https://youtu.be/FFOTeRMGseo

driver above 8476 (current version 8853):

https://youtu.be/sYppcq39UgE

Utzav
New Contributor I

The DxDiag Log is attached below:

i5_1035G1_Sat24

Hey Ronald,

You should tell your team to play Valorant in "Deathmatch" or "Unrated" Mode as the practice mode shows no problem or lags in my situation. In Practice mode there is no 3D Players, but in Unrated or Deathmatch mode there are 3D Players which creates big frame drops or complete freezing for few seconds in my case.

Also there are some Driver Updates in Windows 10 for Intel Display 27.20.100.8729. Please also check this update.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hi @JensA @Utzav 

Can you validate the recommendation made by @i5_1035G1_Sat24 ? Do you see the lag only outside of Practice mode?

Once again, thank you all for your help on this matter.

Regards,