Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance and optimization
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
16833 Discussions

Valorant Driver Compatibility Issues - UHD 620

JensA
Novice

Ever since upgrading the UHD 620 (i5 8250) drivers on my laptop, I've been having game-breaking stuttering whenever a 3d entity loads (which is almost constantly) in Valorant.

More details in the "Graphics bug report" form attached. 

Labels (1)
107 Replies
Utzav
New Contributor I
I installed whole new OS with new lisence key and installed valorant on SSD. (I dint put any of my previous files on it)
And yes i got the the 8681 version when the whole OS was updating and didnt move forward to update the driver.😂
JensA
Novice
That is very interesting if the speed of the disk was the issue (as opposed to getting a new disk), but I am curious as to how a single update to the graphics drivers could cause such a drastic shift in performance.
i5_1035G1_Sat24

Yes, exactly @JensA , why will we have problem only after some specific driver updates ? 

Utzav
New Contributor I

I dont know whether it only the problem of HDD or something like that 

but in my case, when i had HDD game lagged a lot as like unplayable but after the SSD installation, the lag literally gone for literally all the time.

i5_1035G1_Sat24

My case is as follow, 

Whenever I play valorant on 26.20.100.8141 on UHD G1 it gives me 70 or 80 FPS in highest settings (all high but Vsync, vignette, Anti-aliasing, Distortion and all that stuff to "off").

But the problem is whenever I update to latest drivers (any drivers) , it freezes frequently (same settings) but the game reaches 70-80 FPS but freezes are too constant (like Once in 3-5 Seconds and stays for about 5-6 Seconds) so no point of such FPS.

Both scenes are on same system with HDD but with different Driver version.

As with your case @Utzav , the problem might have gone because of fresh Installation of OS.

This cannot be problem of HDD or SSD, its surely problem of Driver, game, Windows.

Utzav
New Contributor I

@i5_1035G1_Sat24 

OK...that might be true but i remember when i had HDD my usage always became 100% at initial stage while playing valorant   but After SSD installation, it only reach 5-6%. so, that might help me too.

But there is no issue in saying that "new drivers  performed drastically bad compared to previous drivers."

like u said:

But the problem is whenever I update to latest drivers (any drivers) , it freezes frequently (same settings) but the game reaches 70-80 FPS but freezes are too constant (like Once in 3-5 Seconds and stays for about 5-6 Seconds) so no point of such FPS.

There were not showing any fps drop in the 'in-game graph' of 'client fps' but there was a freeze and shuttering that was not from the game.

That was exactly the same case with me.

JensA
Novice
Agreed; my issues are exactly the same.

From Utzav's information, the only possibilities are that a fresh install of Windows is required (though I'm still not sure which files get deleted from this procedure to get a better outcome); or that Intel implemented a feature in recent driver updates that requires high disk speeds.

Another tiny possibility is that previous Intel driver versions leave files which conflict with more recent driver updates.
This is unlikely, as I have done clean driver uninstalls several times before updating to more recent drivers (to no avail).
However, Utzav noted that his initial graphics driver installation upon installing Windows was of version .8681 (specifically the first driver version where the issue introduces itself).
Since he didn't have any previous driver installs on that SSD prior (as far as I know), I can't rule out the possibility that leftover files that can only be deleted through a fresh install of Windows may conflict with Valorant.
Shanthosh
Beginner

I have reinstalled several times and it never worked. I have tried 1709, 2004 and 20H2

Seckond
Beginner

Windows version is not the source that is causing this, we have found 2 solutions in this forum post

1. Upgrade your hdd to sdd

2. If you have intel UHD 620, download a driver version older than 8476 if you have a different driver, download the driver version you had before the lag and stutter started. 

As far as I've seen, these 2 fixes haven't been shown anywhere from here and if these two fixes don't work try other fixes online.

Shanthosh
Beginner

I have reinstalled my OS atleast 10 times, Have tried 1909, 2004, 20H2 and even 1709 and tried many driver versions. None of them worked. My friend with identical specs and ssd with latest driver gets much better performance.

Seckond
Beginner

I have an SSD and i still have the problem, what I can confirm is that valorant uses less than 5% disk space when running so I don't think it's the disk driver for my case.  The game runs smoothly around 80 fps on the range and it runs around 60 fps on deathmatch and in unrated, the fps drops to 1 whenever I do something more than running

henriquesmarques
Beginner

Hello, I did the update of the version of November 6 and the problem persists, but it seems persists in who has the valorant installed on hdd that is my case.

RonaldM_Intel

Hello everyone,

Thanks for your input, Please don't forget to include the SSU.txt report when posting in this thread, we need the full report! As you know reproducing this issue has been challenging for us and we need as much info as possible to determine where the results disparity is coming from (HDD vs SSD is a good start though!)

I haven't checked with our debug team if they used HDD or SSD but I'm pretty sure they probably used an SSD.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

NORMAL
Novice

Even after the 100.8935 update I still have this issue in Valorant. Anyone found a fix for this? Currently using 100.8476 update.

henriquesmarques
Beginner

No news ?

RonaldM_Intel

Hello everyone,

No news from Intel's side yet. After multiple tests (on several different platforms) our debug team has been unable to reproduce the lag issue. 

Just to reiterate, on different processors of different generations (6th gen and up to 11th gen) running on mechanical drives and SSDs (including m.2) and yet the lag issue is not occurring. So far this would indicate the issue is triggered by something different than the graphics driver, and yet "impacted" by it.

Has any of you tried with the combination of clean OS installation and driver 27.20.100.8935? (this should suggest no OS update or 3rd party app has had time to get installed).

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

Shanthosh
Beginner
I think it is because of the HDD too, I installed the latest 20H2 Windows fresh and disabled updates as soon as I connected to the internet, and got the newest drivers from the Intel site. The game still stutters to hell, in task manager the hard disk usage spikes to 100% whenever it freezes while my CPU, GPU and ram are below 50%. I have an i3-7100u, Intel hd 620 with 12gb Rams (dual channel 8+4)
i5_1035G1_Sat24

Is the latest driver  27.20.100.9077 shown some improvements ? Pls anyone update after trying. 

NORMAL
Novice
No, they did not fix it. I tried the latest version but no luck. I think they don't even care about this .
henriquesmarques
Beginner

Version 9077 did not work for me, I still use version 8190 which is the only one that behaves well for me.

MarkApud
Beginner

Hi everyone! I've been dealing with the same issue for months now, i've first noticed it on september, but never found any solution from the valorant support team here in LATAM. They just told me to uninstall all drivers and let windows do the rest.

So I deleted all drivers and played with an old version that windows installed automatically, getting fewer lag spikes, but it's still wasn't the same as in the game's beta when i could play it without any trouble.

But today i reinstaled (silly me) the new version (Dec 23 - 27.20.100.9079) and got those old lag spikes that i thought were gone/fixed.

So i came to be alerted when they get to any solution.

I have an i5-7200U with 2x4GB DDR4 and an intel HD 620.

Sorry for my bad english (Argentinian here!).

Hope we get a solution soon!