Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20496 Discussions

Vega M GL disappeared

Aashishkebab
Beginner

Hello,

I have an XPS 9575 with an i7-8705g and Vega M GL graphics. They were working fine until recently, where the Vega graphics have disappeared completely from my system. There is no driver for it, and when I try to manually install the driver, I get "...no AMD graphics hardware has been detected in your system configuration..."

Mind you, it was working fine for years. Instead, I only have the Intel HD graphics accessible.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User
Has there been any BIOS updates of late? It sounds like there is possibility of engine being disabled in BIOS Setup.
The other possibility that comes to mind is a generic version of the driver being installed over top of the custom driver from the laptop vendor. You should only be using driver packages provided by laptop vendor.
Hope this helps,
...S
0 Kudos
Aashishkebab
Beginner
I don't remember a bios update recently but it is possible. But it would be weird that it would disable the secondary GPU.

It's definitely not a simple driver issue. When I attempt to install the driver, it literally says "no AMD hardware detected".
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Yea, that really doesn't make sense. The engine should be visible at all times. Have you checked BIOS Setup to see if there is a parameter that disables and hides this device?  I have seen situations where the defaults for some parameters change with a BIOS update.

In Intel's implementation (the NUC NUC8i7HNK - which has the Core i7-8705G and Radeon RX Vega M GL graphics - and the NUC8i7HVK - which has the Core i7-8809G and Radeon RX Vega M GH graphics), the Intel HD Graphics 630 engine is not exposed (it is alive only to support transcoding, etc. type operations) and the Radeon engine directly owns all six connectors (2x HDMI, 2x DP and 2x USB-C). This allows the generic drivers to be used and thus upgrades don't cause any issues (barring the lack of support for later versions of the Radeon drivers). If your implementation has the two engines sharing the connectors (the way a lot of laptop designs do), then installing generic drivers (for either or both engines) could cause havoc - features not working, black screens, etc.

...S

0 Kudos
Aashishkebab
Beginner
I considered that. I reset my BIOS to factory settings. Didn't do anything. I'm not sure about the hardware setup but it's a laptop.
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Hhmmm... Have you tried doing a from-scratch uninstall? Try this process: 

1. Make sure you have a copy of the Radeon driver package downloaded from the Dell site and present on your system.
  2. Disable access to the Internet. Unplug Ethernet cable and/or disable Wireless.
  3. From Apps & Features applet, if there is no instance of AMD Software, go to Step 6.
  4. Click on the AMD Software entry and select Uninstall.
  5. Reboot the system (keeping Internet access disabled).
  6. From the Device Manager applet, if there is no instance of the Display AdaptersRadeon RX Vega M GL Graphics device, go to Step 9.
  7. Right-click on the Radeon RX Vega M GL Graphics entry and select Uninstall Device. Enable (checkmark) Delete the driver software for this device and then click on Uninstall.
  8. Go to Step 5.
  9. Install the AMD Software using the package you downloaded earlier. If this fails, do nothing further.
  10. Reboot the system (re-enabling Internet access).
  11. Test.

Hope this helps - and let us know what happens,

...S

0 Kudos
Aashishkebab
Beginner
Unfortunately this is exactly what I tried. It still claims to not detect any AMD hardware at the end and fails to install.
0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Hello Aashishkebab

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. 

After checking the information provided and the steps that you tried, it is better for you to contact the laptop manufacturer. This will help you get more troubleshooting steps from them or a different option to resolve this. Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding. 

Regards, 

David G 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos