Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Visual Studio 2015/17 window goes blank when moved to an external monitor

Zingam
Beginner

There is a long standing issue with Visual Studio 2015/17 on laptops with switchable graphics. My laptop is Dell with the latest drivers and HD 630 (i7 7700HQ) and NVIDIA GF 1050 Ti. I have a external monitor connected via HDMI. Whenever I move the Visual Studio window to the external monitor or if I snap it to the edge to maximize/resize (the new Windows 10 feature) the Visual Studio window might go blank.

According to Microsoft this is a driver issue.

I haven't noticed such an issue on an older laptop with Sandy Bridge and AMD discreet switchable graphics.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ADela4
Novice

hello my freind.

if you can,please report this bug to Microsoft Visual and Windows support In addition to this topic for getting more answers..

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Zingam,

Thank you for contacting Intel® technical support. I will be more than happy to help you.

I understand that you are having issues with Microsoft® Visual Studio and the Intel® HD Graphics 630 controller. I do apologize for the inconvenience.

Please let us know if you are using a straight HDMI® connection, or if you are using a splitter, a dock, or any kind of adapter.

Also, to better assist you with your request, I will need to check some information about your computer. Please follow these steps:

In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R.

In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.

Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop).

Attach the report to this thread

To attach a file, you must click "Use Advanced Editor" on the upper right hand corner of the response box, then the "attach" option will appear on the bottom right hand corner of the response box.

Regards,

Xavier A.
0 Kudos
Zingam
Beginner

Mr.Brave

Hello,

This issue is known to Microsoft. It was occurring maybe for years with each version of Visual Studio 2013-15-17. Their response was: "Driver bug won't fix."

Here is one such response: https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/1778/visual-studio-shows-blank-screen-when-using-multip.html?childToView=133622# comment-133622 https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/1778/visual-studio-shows-blank-screen-when-using-multip.html

Since I reported this I installed Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and the issue is gone. There are sometimes small rendering issues but after the update the blank window issue doesn't seem to happen now.

If it isn't a driver bug could you please advise Microsoft how to fix their stuff!

Here are a few screenshot of what I have now (rendering issues - but windows is not blank). BTW I am not using any splitters, etc. just a simple HDMI to DVI cable.:

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Zingam,

I was checking your case and would like to know if you need further assistance. If so, please do not hesitate in replying back with the DxDiag* report.

Regards,

Xavier A.
0 Kudos
Zingam
Beginner

Well, Windows 10 Fall update solved the problem for me. So I need no further assistance. Thank you!

0 Kudos