Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20948 Discussions

We Shall Wake Demo 7 deadlocks Intel drivers on random OGL functions

Daniel_I_
Beginner

Hello.

We recently released We Shall Wake demo 7 (http://weshallwake.com) only to find that the drivers for most Intel GPUs deadlock on seemingly random OpenGL calls (glBindBuffer(), glVertexAttribPointer(), glDraw*****(), etc) after rendering 1-2 frames right after the level is loaded, causing the game to freeze completely. CPU usage drops to 0 and the only option is to kill the game process.

Here are the stats on the laptop I've managed to reproduce the error on, but it seems to happen on pretty much all Intel GPUs on all OSes, so this information doesn't really matter.

System Used: Acer
CPU SKU: i7-4510U
GPU SKU: HD 4400
Processor Line: U?
System BIOS Version: ?
CMOS settings: ?
Graphics Driver Version: 10.18.15.4256
GOP/VBIOS Version: 5.0.1035
Operating System: Windows 10
OS Version: Windows 10
API: OpenGL
Occurs on non-Intel GPUs?: No.

Note: Laptop has an Nvidia Optimus enabled GPU that runs the game just fine.

Steps to Reproduce:
-------------------------------
1. Download our game at http://www.weshallwake.com/p/downloads.html
2. Start launcher.
3. Let launcher patch the game.
4. Start the game.
5. Click through the main menu until. Choose the lowest graphics settings.
6. Game tries to start the tutorial.
7. Enjoy the only 1-2 frames of the game you'll get before it deadlocks forever.
8. Use whatever tools you have to intercept OGL calls and figure out why your driver deadlocks.

Expected Results:
The tutorial mode starts and you can play the game.

Actual Results:
The game freezes indefinitely and the process has to be killed.

Thank you for your time. Preferably, please email me at <my user name>@hotmail.com if you have any questions since I don't check this forum that often. I am also available on Skype if you need help reproducing the issue, same username as on this forum. I get a nice email notification every time something happens in this thread, so just answer here and I'll see it.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Michael_C_Intel2
Employee

Hi Daniel,

I have filed an internal ticket and am talking with our OpenGL driver team about this issue. I will let you know what we find out.

-Michael

0 Kudos
Daniel_I_
Beginner

Michael Coppock (Intel) wrote:

Hi Daniel,

I have filed an internal ticket and am talking with our OpenGL driver team about this issue. I will let you know what we find out.

-Michael

Okay, you deserve a thousand thank-yous for the quick response. The severe Nvidia GLSL compiler bug I reported 2 months ago still hasn't reached their OpenGL team yet and you respond before I finished typing a third detailed response. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Michael_C_Intel2
Employee

Hi Daniel,

You are welcome, we are here to help game developers like yourself.

I have a quick update, we have confirmed it is a driver issue and are close  to knowing the cause. Hopefully we can have a fix in time for the next driver release.

-Michael

0 Kudos
Daniel_I_
Beginner

Thank you very much! We really appreciate your help!

0 Kudos
Daniel_I_
Beginner

Hello.

Has there been any progress on correcting this bug?

Best regards / Daniel

0 Kudos
Michael_C_Intel2
Employee

Hi Daniel,

We have identified the change list the created the problem and are finding the root cause. Then we can add a fix to the the driver. I can't offer an ETA yet as we don't know the complexity of the fix.

-Michael

0 Kudos
Michael_C_Intel2
Employee

Hi Daniel,

We have fixed the driver issue causing your problem. The next driver release release should have contain the fix. I believe the next release will be in November.

-Michael

0 Kudos