Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Weird green stripes when trying to run Starbound

Lcray
Beginner

Not sure where to locate this problem tbh. 

Using an Acer Aspire 3 with i5 processor and Intel UHD graphics, mainly for studying, sometimes to play lower-spec Indiegames like Terraria, Deadcells etc. Tried to run Starbound, and although it seems to run smoothly in the background, I see green, flickering horizontal stripes or lines which make the game completely unplayable. They are not displayed in Screenshots and did not appear in any other app so far, tested them all. Tried re-installing everything from Steam to drivers, reboots, Vsync on and off, different screens, different resolutions, running as operator etc, always the same issue only in the Starbound window.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Lcray

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to check this further, could you please confirm the following information?

1- Did this game Starbound* work fine before? If yes, was there any recent change like driver updates, Windows® updates, or game updates that might be related to the point when this behavior started?

2- Just to make sure, when you mentioned "They are not displayed in Screenshots", do you mean if you take a screenshot to capture the behavior, it is not observed in the image/screenshot? If this is the case, could you please share a short video to show the problem?

3- When you say "tried different screens", do you mean this is happening on the laptop's built-in display and also when using external displays?

4- Please provide detailed step-by-step instructions for us to replicate this behavior. Please also provides us with screenshots showing the game settings that you have for this game.

5- Also, please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread to gather more details about your system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Lcray
Beginner

Good evening @AndrewG_Intel !

Thank you for your reply. I will just answer your questions as far as I can: 

1. As I didn't try to start the game on this device ever before, I can't really tell. All I know is it does still work fine on other devices.

2. Yes, I mean I am still able to take screenshots where they can not be seen, as you see below in my screenshots and short video.

3. Yes, I meant it happens with whatever display I connect and try. 

4. As I did not do anything but start the game via Steam, I can't really tell you how to replicate this bug 

5.here you go, I hope it helps 🙂 

Than kyou very much for  taking the time! 

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Lcray

Thank you for your response and for all the information provided.

After checking the Intel® SSU report, it seems that the laptop is already running the latest customized driver from ACER® (VGA Driver (UMA) version 27.20.100.8280*).

In this case, we would like to recommend a clean install of the graphics driver testing with the latest generic driver from Intel.

Please download the Intel® Graphics - Windows® 10 DCH Driver version 27.20.100.9030 and follow the installation instructions in this link: Clean Installation of Intel® Graphics Drivers in Windows® 10.

Please let us know if this helps to solve the problem.

Based on the video attached and as per your previous explanation, we can see the issue is only happening with the game (e.g. the window in the background or the Windows® Taskbar looks fine). In this case, we also recommend checking this with the Steam* Support team to check if they are aware of any (new) known issue and/or for additional debugging from their side.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Lcray

We would like to know if you were able to review our previous post. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Lcray

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Our last recommendation is to check this with Steam* Support* for further assistance and debugging from their side.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos