Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
21137 Discussions

What happened to the panel fit option?

idata
Employee

I just got an Acer laptop with an HD 3000 chip, an i3. My last laptop had an option to change from aspect to panel fit, where some games would be stretched full screen. Now with this laptop, the panel fit option is gone, only aspect is there, and some games have black bars on the left and right side of the screen. Anyone know what I can do to fix this?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Employee

In order to access that option, you need to change the resolution of your monitor to a setting that does not match your monitor's native resolution.

When a non-native resolution is detected, you will be able to change the aspect ratio.

idata
Employee

But the other laptops resolution was set to its native resolution. While at the desktop, I could click on the Intel graphics icon at the taskbar and choose panel fit. The option would always stay, and wouldnt change my desktop resolution. Only when id load a game (from Gamehouse.com) is when i'd see the game fullscreen. If I exited and changed the option to aspect and load the game, it would have the bars on the left and right of the screen. Now this laptop doesnt even show the option for panel fit. It just shows aspect. Pressing hotkeys alt-ctrl F11 does nothing, even though it says that this combo enables/disables panel fit.

0 Kudos
LC5
Beginner

I am having this same problem on my Asus VivoTab tablet, it pillar boxes all resolutions that are not the native resolution. There is no option to stretch to display as you would expect in the Intel options for panel fit, center is the only option. The hotkey doesn't work as there is only one option.

I have a Atom x86 tablet with Intel GMA graphics and driver 9.14.3.1099 installed with Windows 8 (32bit).

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

Adjusting the aspect ratio will only work, and may be only noticed when you are not using a native resolution of the display.When a game or an application opens, you will notice this working if the game or application adjusts the resolution on which it works at, not if it uses the same one as the desktop of your computer.

0 Kudos
LC5
Beginner

Hi Diego,

I am using it with games that adjust the resolution to 1024x768, 800x600 and I have tried an old game at 640x480, none of them scale to fit my tablets screen, they all appear pillar and letter-boxed.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

Does your tablet have the option for center image or full screen?

0 Kudos
LC5
Beginner

Hi Diego,

Just center, that is the only option. So anything that is full screen and not 1366x768 is displayed tiny on the screen with black borders all around it.

I have the latest Dell BIOS and drivers installed but no luck. The GPU is the GMA 3650 supplied with the Atom (cedar trail chipset).

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

lukejr, what is the operating system installed in your system?

0 Kudos
LC5
Beginner

As mentioned in a previous post, I am running Windows 8 (32 bit) with Dell Intel drivers installed.

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

As you may know the drivers we provide are for Windows* 7 x32. these drivers are posted here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Netbook+and+Tablet+Graphics&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Graphics+Media+Accelerator+3600+Series&ProdId=3468&LineId=3332&FamilyId=39 Download Center

If that system came with Microsoft* Windows* 8, you may need to check with your tablet manufacturer for support of such driver, or if you are using the inbox driver that comes with Microsoft* Windows* 8, you would need to check directly with Microsoft*.

0 Kudos