Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20501 Discussions

What is causing this error and how do I fix it?

BDraw
Novice

I'm getting this issue in the reliability report and everything is up to date. Not sure what to do here.

Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070057: 9NCGJX5QLP9M-AppUp.IntelMediaSDKDFP

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: StoreAgentInstallFailure1

ClientAppId: Acquisition;DSIC

HResult: 80070057

OSVersion: 17763

OSRevision: 194

DeviceClass: Windows.Desktop

ProductHash: M

OS Version: 10.0.17763.2.0.0.256.48

Locale ID: 1033

48 Replies
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello HKlum, Thank you for feedback. We will review the information posted on this thread. We will get back to you soon. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello all, If Receiving error 0x80070057: 9NCGJX5QLP9M-AppUp.IntelMediaSDKDFP, we recommend following these steps: 1. Remove the DCH driver and Control Panel using the Apps and Features option in Windows* and install the drivers provided by your system manufacturer only. Please follow these steps to remove the Windows* DCH drivers properly. 1. Download the latest Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) driver. 2. Disconnect your unit from the Internet to prevent Windows* Updates from installing any other driver. 3. Uninstall the DCH driver and the Intel® Graphics Control Panel from Control Panel > Programs and Features. 4. Restart the computer. 5. Make sure the 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' is listed under Windows* Device Manager > Video adapters. If not, repeat steps 2 to 4. 6. If the adapter continues to be listed as ‘Intel HD Graphics’, and no other Intel® Graphics driver is listed under 'Programs and Features' for removal, then it means Windows* has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point, we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager: 6.1.1 Right-click on 'Intel HD Graphics' or similar, and select 'Uninstall Device' 6.1.2 In the pop-up window make sure 'Delete the driver software for this device' is checked. 6.1.3 Click on 'Uninstall'. 6.1.4 Restart. (Repeat steps 6.1.1 through 6.1.4 until the device gets listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter') 7. Install the latest Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) that was downloaded in step 1. 8. Reboot your system. 9. Enable your Internet connection. 2. If the issue persists, then check if you can perform a System Restore in Windows* since this issue could be related to the transition from Legacy drivers to Windows DCH drivers, and vice versa. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
HKlum
Valued Contributor I

"Download the latest Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) driver." I stopped reading there.

Wanner_G_Intel
Hello HKlum, Due to this transition from legacy drivers to Windows* DCH drivers, it is your system manufacturer's responsibility to release Windows* DCH drivers to support their systems. We will continue doing research about this errors you are receiving. As soon as we have any update about it, we will update this thread. If other community members were able to follow the steps recommended on this thread, please let us know. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
SVerl
New Contributor I

Hi WannerG,

The steps as you described above works for uninstalling the Intel Graphics DCH driver, switching back to the "Intel Basic Display Adapter" driver as provided my Microsoft.

My OS is Windows 10 1809.

I reinstalled the OEM driver (rel 6169) provided by ASRock for my H370M-ITX/ac motherboard and want to conform the 9NCGJX5QLP9M-AppUp.IntelMediaSDKDFP Windows Update error still exists!

The "Intel Driver & Support Assistant" even wants to upgrade the OEM driver to the 25.20.100.6519 DCH driver ....

Because it does not seems to change anything with respect to the error, having the graphics driver OEM release 6169 from ASRock or the native 6519 DCH release from Intel, I am currently updated to 6519.

The update error is annoying, but not fatal for a good work system,

I hope this info will help for you to find the root cause of the problem

/Simon

Wanner_G_Intel
Hello SVerl, Thank you for trying out the steps recommended on this thread. We will review the information posted on this thread. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
BDraw
Novice

Ok I think I figured something out. Something is the Intel Driver Support Utility is trying to download "Intel Media SDK DFP" in the windows store. However its no longer offered in the Windows store so its a failed download. This is what is throwing the error.

Here is a link to the store and an image below.....

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/intel-media-sdk-dfp/9ncgjx5qlp9m?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Annotation 2019-02-12 160247.jpg

rockstarrocks
Novice

Did you managed to stop it from doing that?

0 Kudos
SVerl
New Contributor I

See my response at the tail of this thread.

The receipe described by WannerG of Intel to solve the error, works.

Basically you need to uninstall the Intel DCH Graphics driver *and* Control Panel in disconnected mode (no LAN, WLAN Internet connections), reboot and reconnect.

Go to the Device Manager, open the Microsoft Basic Display driver and update the driver through Windows Update.

See for the detailed steps both for the legacy and DCH Intel Graphics Driver the steps described by WannerG further on in this thread.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello BDraw, We will take a look at this information. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello all, We were able to see this error in Windows Event Log in our lab. As stated on this thread, it appears that updating non-DCH (a.k.a Legacy) to generic DCH drivers from downloadcenter.intel.com may generate a conflict on branded systems. The operating system tries to download the Intel® Graphics Control Panel from the MS Store and yet this is recorded as a failure in Event log (even if the Graphics Control Panel is already installed). We have identified two possible solutions at this moment: 1. Use only drivers provided directly by your Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) as they are customized and validated for your system configuration. Follow these steps to properly switch to the best OEM drivers for your computer: 1. Disconnect from the Internet. 2. Uninstall the generic DCH drivers via Start > Settings > Apps & Features. 3. Uninstall the (DCH) Intel® Graphics Control Panel via Start > Settings > Apps & Features. 4. Restart the computer. 5. Reconnect to the Internet. 6. Go to Device Manager > Right-click on "Intel® HD Graphics" or "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter". 7. Select "Update Driver". 8. Allow Windows Update to Search for the best drivers for your system. 9. Install the driver. 10. Restart the computer. 2. Force the generic DCH drivers. This option is not recommended as it overrides any customization done by your OEM. If you still wish to use generic DCH drivers then follow these steps: 1. Download the latest DCH driver from downloadcenter.intel.com and save it on your Desktop. 2. Disconnect from the Internet. 3. Uninstall any existing DCH Graphics driver via Start > Settings > Apps & Features. 4. Uninstall the (DCH) Intel® Graphics Control Panel via Start > Settings > Apps & Features. 5. Restart the computer. 6. In Device Manager > Right-click on "Intel® HD Graphics". Note: If "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" is already listed skip to step #10. 7. Select "Uninstall device". 8. Enable the option "Delete the driver software for this device" and click "Uninstall". 9. Restart the computer. (this should delete any non-DCH driver stored on Windows driver repository. Repeat steps #6 through #9 until "Intel® HD Graphics" changes to "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter") 10. Install the DCH driver downloaded in step #1. 11. Restart the computer. 12. Reconnect to the Internet. 13. The (DCH) Intel® Graphics Control Panel should be downloaded automatically after a few minutes upon restart. If it doesn't, go to Microsoft Store and download it. 14. Restart the computer. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello all, If you have any further questions, please let us know. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
SVerl
New Contributor I

@WannerG:

I followed your supplied steps to uninstall the DCH driver to get to the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" driver and installed an OEM (ASRock) supplied driver (6169).

However the Windows Update error "0x80070057: 9NCGJX5QLP9M-AppUp.IntelMediaSDKDFP" still pops up.

What solved the problem for me was removing the Intel UHD Graphics 630 adapter, including the option of deleting the driver files through the Device Manager, reboot and reconnect to Internet and let Windows Update through the Device Manager do a search for the best device driver for my UHD 630 adapter.

Windows Update downloaded an installed the Intel device drive 25.20.100.6373 of 18Nov2018 an the error does not happen anymore ...

I hope this clarifies.

SVerl
New Contributor I

Further info: this is basically receipe #1 of WannerG documented earlier in this thread, go back to the best driver thru Windows Update, without installing an OEM supplied driver.

The documented steps of WannerG to switch to the latest Intel Generic DCH driver (6577) did not work for me, still the SDK error

Wanner_G_Intel
Hello SVerl, At this point, we recommend using drivers that are automatically downloaded from the Windows* Update service. If you have been doing this, and the issue persists, please attach the DxDiag.txt and SSU.txt reports. Make sure they are recent reports. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
SVerl
New Contributor I

Hello WannerG,

Issue persists, 0x80240017: 9NCGJX5QLP9M-AppUp.IntelMediaSDKDFP at 10:23 on Mar01

I have generated SDU and DxDiag report which are attached

0 Kudos
SVerl
New Contributor I

DxDiag report attached

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello SVerl, Thank you for attaching the reports. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
SVerl
New Contributor I

Hello WannerG,

Some further analysis, perhaps it helps to tackle the problem:

• Problem is only on Windows 1809 , I have another system, a laptop with Windows 1803, Intel Graphics 520 and DCH 6472 supplied by Lenovo and I do not see the issue on that laptop
  • The Intel Graphics Driver installation process is installing file 9NCGJX5QLP9M.dat in directory C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\InstallAgent\Checkpoints
  • If you remove this dat file, the Windows Update problem is not happening again. The removal of the dat file has to be repeated after every new Intel Graphics Driver installation.
  • I does not matter on Windows 1809 if you use OEM branded drivers or generic Intel Graphic Driver, the Windows Update error is always happening . I am now on generic Intel 6577 on my UHD Graphics 630 adapter.
0 Kudos