Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

What wrong did I do in my life to not deserve Vulkan support fpr HD P4600?

frustratedguy
Beginner

Your graphics driver for Intel HD 4600 (Intel HD that is found on Intel 4th generation core series CPUs) does provide support for Vulkan API.

That means you are providing support for Vulkan API on desktop 4th generation Haswell CPUs.

For example: i7 4770, i7 4771, i7 4790, i7 4770k, i7 4790k, all support Vulkan API by your graphics driver made for these CPUs.

I own a Xeon-E3 1246 v3 that is nothing but a Xeon variant of Core i7 4771.

-> Xeon-E3 1246 v3 is a Haswell CPU too.

-> Xeon-E3 1246 v3 has Intel HD 4600 too (named Intel HD P4600/P4700).

But you people still don't provide Vulkan API support for Haswell Xeon.

My question to engineers is that, how do you manage to not provide Vulkan support for Xeon variants of Intel Haswell class CPUs that share the same CPU architecture, GPU architecture, same number of GPU SIMD units etc? Why are you preventing Intel Haswell Xeon owners to play with Vulkan API? Is HD P4600/P4700 technically inferior to HD 4600?

I am not asking for a performance class driver, or anything mature, refined driver or something good for real world gaming purpose. I am only asking for a compatible driver with enough compatibilities to let me just compile and run Vulkan 1.0 code for my learning purpose, but because of you I can't do so.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

What is the model number of the motherboard you are using?

What Operating System? Windows 10? What version? 1909?

Doc

0 Kudos
frustratedguy
Beginner

Sir,

-> OS: (Genuine OEM License on custom build) Windows 10 Pro 1909 (18363.836) 64 bit

-> CPU: Xeon-E3 1246 v3 (Intel Haswell 4th Generation)

-> Graphics Driver Version: 20.19.15.5156 (Installation Build/setup version win64_15.40.45.5126)

-> Graphics Driver Date according to Device Manager: 01-21-2020 (21 January 2020)

-> Latest Windows Update Installed up to 20th - May - 2020.

-> Vulkan SDK 1.2.131.2 Installed.

-> Vulkan runtime libraries installed.

I don't know what else to do.

The following Intel's website says that the Vulkan is being supported from Feb-2017 in every driver for 4th Generation Intel Core series CPUs. I am wondering why you are not supporting Xeon Haswell workstation class desktop CPU.

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/blogs/new-intel-vulkan-beta-1540204404-graphics-driver-for-windows-78110-1540.html

vkcube.exe from Khornos's Vulkan SDK's package is like the "Hello World" demo from Vulkan API. But it is not running.

It says,

" vkEnumerateInstanceExtensionProperties failed to find the VK_KHR_surface extension.

Do you have a compatible Vulakn installable client driver (ICD) installed?"

0 Kudos
frustratedguy
Beginner

Here is a screenshot covering the details:

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Download, run, and ATTACH (using the paperclip under the toolbar) the results of this utility:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Doc

0 Kudos
frustratedguy
Beginner

Sir, don't bother anymore. Upon searching I found out that Intel never included Haswell for Vulkan support in the first place for Windows. Everybody is saying so on various other forums. Intel may have included 4th generation by mistake on their old web page regarding beta vulkan support. There is no way Vulkan works on Haswell under Windows. There is not even a single video of Vulkan running on haswell on Windows on youtube. This is enough proof it doesn't work.

Thanks for your precious time to help me. I really appreciate your effort.

P.S. That utility is highly unreliable, it's showing my CPU has L2 cache of 4 x 1024 KB and L1 cache of 4 x 256 KB, that is completely incorrect.

It shows how unreliable Intel has become when detecting information regarding their own CPU, it just made me loath Intel even more.

0 Kudos