Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

When Deep colors on DisplayPort in Windows?

bernid
Novice

Hi, 

I would like to ask when Deep color (10 or 12-bit color) will be available on DisplayPort on Windows?

As far I now  currently  Windows OS supports 10 or 12-bit color on HDMI port. Users who have hardware equipped with DisplayPort can't use 10 or 12-bit color. This seems to be a windows software/driver issue since when user (using the same Intel hardware) switch to Linux OS Deep color is available on DisplayPort.

I use Windows 11 and  Intel Gemini Lake SOC board (J4105 and Intel Graphic UHD 600) equipped with two DisplayPort 1.2a (see attachment). I have 12-bit depth color Display but I can't use its full potential due to the issue described above. There is no other option than standard 8-bit color. But when I boot Ubuntu22.04 (instead of Windows11) I can use 12-bit colour.

So let me know when I could expect Deep color support on DisplayPort in Winows. Thank you.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello bernid

Thank you for posting on the Intel Communities. I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues when trying to set the color depth on Windows.

The option to use 10-bit or 12-bit color depth configurations should be possible on Windows. Please check the following article for the supported configurations with Intel Graphics:

Can Intel® Graphics Support 10-Bit Color Depth?

You can find instructions to set color depth through Intel® Graphics Command Center in the following link:

How Do I Set Color Depth or Color Format in the Intel® Graphics Command Center?

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
bernid
Novice

Thank you for a replay. 

The second article you linked to says:

'Note: Color Depth and Format are not supported via DisplayPort...'

At the same time, the first article shows that the Deep Colour should be supported by the  hardware (DisplayPort 1.2 and above).

And indeed I can confirm in Linux ( I tried Ubuntu and LibreELEC) Deep Color works. I'm wondering why it doesn't work on Windows. 

Hence my question, which I will repeat: When will Deep Color be available for Windows users having DisplayPort?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

@bernid wrote:

Hence my question, which I will repeat: When will Deep Color be available for Windows users having DisplayPort?

Colorspace switching on DP (or even HDMI on Arc) is hardcoded for HDR only at the moment on Windows, so if you want anything other than 8-bit you have to switch HDR on.

https://github.com/IGCIT/Intel-GPU-Community-Issue-Tracker-IGCIT/issues/179

0 Kudos
MUC
Valued Contributor II

I think that this device doesn't support HDR at all.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello bernid

We appreciate your feedback on this issue. Could you please confirm if the recommendations by @powerarmour worked for you?

If not please let us know the following information:

• Create a log file with the Intel® System Support Utility and attach it.
  • What is your monitor make and model
  • Are you using any type of adapter or dongles?
  • Are you using a multi-monitor configuration?
  • What is the resolution that you are using? Have you tried different resolutions?

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
bernid
Novice

Thank you guys for trying to help.

Unfortunately I can't switch on HDR on Windows but can (and use from time to time) on Linux (LibreELEC).

See (attachements) how LibreElec identify my display and see information (HDR and 12-bit color) during playback of  HDR content (1080p/25Hz).

I enclosure also my hardware ISSU report.

I use two displays (Extended mode. See details in the attachment of the first post)

• DELL U2412M (usually at 1920x1080/60p Hz)
  • LG OLED55C21LA (usually at 3840x2160/60p Hz)

Connecting LG I use DP->HDMI adapter and HDMI2.0 cable. (LG doesn't have any DP ports)

Connecting DELL display I use DP-DP cable.

Regards,

0 Kudos
MUC
Valued Contributor II

This is about the device Fujitsu Futro S740:

MUC_0-1675549219929.png

I think I can summarize the following for Microsoft Windows as operating system:

• It is currently not possible to manually change Color Depth and Color Format via DisplayPort and with adapters:
    https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000087657/graphics.html
    I am using an Intel Core platform with UHD630 with HDMI via LSPCON where this is possible with the same graphics driver (31.0.101.2115). I'd agree that it would be useful to be able to configue Color Depth and Color Format for all connection types as is the case with AMD and Nvidia products.
  • However, Color Depth and High Dynamic Range is not the same. HDR provides high contrast imaging that also the display device must be able to show. Gemini Lake J4105 is a Celeron processor. HDR is only supported by 7th Generation Intel Core Processors and Newer Core Platforms: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/graphics/HDR_Intel_Graphics_TechWhitePaper.pdf.
  • UHD Graphics 600 supports:
    • Video decode hardware acceleration H.265/HEVC @ Level 5.1 8b/10b, H.264 @ Level 5.2, MPEG2, MVC, VC-1, WMV9, JPEG, VP8 and VP9 formats.
      However, supporting the decoding of 10-bit video does not automatically result in such a signal output. On Windows, it depends on how the software player handles DirectShow and which DirectShow filters are used. It would not be unusual if Dithering (10 > 8 bpc) would be applied in order to definitely assure a picture on screen.
  • DELL U2412M monitor: The eIPS panel installed here is not a native 8-bit panel, but only works with 6 bits internally. A panel-internal A-FRC circuit (Advanced Frame Rate Control) is used to bring color gradients onto the screen without gaps. Roughly speaking, this performs Dithering with a temporal component in order to "mix" intermediate tones from the neighboring color levels.
  • A true 12-bit panel does not exist for normal users, so even if the graphics adapter is capable to output this, the display would perform a corresponding down calculation like described above.
  • Kodi showing "Display supported HDR types = HDR10" means that the LG C2 (10-bit panel) is telling the source device via the cable that it would support HDR10. 12-bit would not provide any perceptible advantage here either. However, HDR for Gemini Lake cannot be used on Windows. Unfortunately, I can't say anything about Linux.
0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

@MUC wrote:

However, HDR for Gemini Lake cannot be used on Windows. Unfortunately, I can't say anything about Linux.

Actually that's a good point, Gemini Lake HDR isn't supported on Windows, but it 'does' work on Linux (similar to Apollo Lake previously, provided the PCON has had a recent firmware update).

0 Kudos
bernid
Novice

If playback of HDR content is currently possible on UHD Graphics 600 in Linux, maybe someday in the future it will be possible on Windows? Would be nice...

Backing to Deep Color support via DP port on UHD Graphics 600.  I've made a little experiment on Windows. 

I switched to MPC-MC player (default LAV filters),  selected mad VR renderer and  chose 10-bit video content (HEVC/24.0 ftp) to playback.

It turned out that even today (without deep color support on DP port in Windows) playback of 10-bit is possible (without the color degradation).

See an attachment.

I hope that the issues with 'deep color' support  for DP will be solved soon and users will be able to enjoy the full potential of their hardware.

It would be good to know when this might happen.

Regards, 

0 Kudos
MUC
Valued Contributor II

While HDR isn't limited to 4K, it's rather unusual for 1080p source formats. This background might also be of interest:
https://www.thebroadcastbridge.com/home/category/acquisition/entry/11707/8-bit-vs.10-bit-video-whats-the-difference

Core statement: "It's not about what we can see on a direct display, but for more flexibility in post-production."

Is your attachment a local file? Could you please install MediaInfo and load the file there to see its properties?

There is no TV station that broadcasts 10-bit 1080p. This is also due to the necessary size of the data stream. Here is an example of a typical MKV 1080p without HDR:

MUC_0-1675632760834.png

4K HEVC 10-bit without HDR.

MUC_1-1675632784457.png

This is an HDR10 movie in the quality that corresponds to the Ultra HD Blu-ray specification:

MUC_2-1675632810311.png

What is clearly visible to all people are the benefits of HDR's higher contrast properties. You can see this in the „luminance“ and "light level" information above that the source must provide to enable the HDR display to correctly show it. This is the meta data. But that also works with 8-bit. Please read this.

If we know about the source material we can also check the information within your LG C2. There is an HDMI Diagnostics mode you can access:

1. Open the settings of the TV by pressing on the gear icon on the remote
  2. Highlight or move the pointer over the All Settings option and open all settings
  3. Select the Channels option
  4. Move the pointer or highlight Channel Tuning
  5. Press the „1“ key on the remote five times quickly

You should then see something like this on your TV (Click to enlarge):

MUC_3-1675632930012.png

If you consider enabling HDR in Windows you might think of an upgrade of your computer hardware. Most affordable device would be something like this:

https://cenowarka.pl/intel-nuc-11-pro-kit-nuc11tnki5-slim-tiger-canyon-bnuc11tnki5000-x-a2461115.html

NUC 11 with Intel Iris Xe (and newer) can operate your LG C2 with 4K @ 120 Hz RGB 4:4:4 10-bit HDR (40 Gbps). This would be the maximum that your TV can do. However, you must use a Thunderbolt > HDMI cable for this. Please see here: https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-NUCs/New-Nuc-11-i5-4k-issues/m-p/1453325#M97563

Please note that the mentioned cable may arrive with older firmware than necessary. If it is not working correctly, a firmware update can be done through Microsoft Windows when the product is plugged. Cable Matters provide updates on their website.

0 Kudos
bernid
Novice

@MUC Thanks for the interesting information about the LG C2.
I agree with the benefits of HDR.

Currently, watching this content is possible with my hardware on Linux/Libra ELEC or through a DLNA server and LG's internal player.

I am not currently considering buying a new computer. Rather, I would like to exploit to the maximum the one I  have.
But due to the current lack of Deep colour support for Displayport in Intels' GPUs, it is difficult. It's still hard for me to understand that the same hardware has support for deep colors via HDMI and not DP. I hope it will eventually be fixed in future driver versions.

Regards, 

P.S. I am attaching details of the two video samples that I use as an examples in my previous posts.

0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

@bernid wrote:

I hope it will eventually be fixed in future driver versions.

Unlikely unfortunately, although Apollo and Gemini Lake are both Gen9+ architectures, they've always been driver locked on Windows for HDR, that's probably not going to change now due to their age.

Like you said, using something like LibreELEC you're not going to be hamstrung by this issue, and I'd continue using that for your video playback requirements.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello bernid

Thank you for the information provided. Also thank you to the community for all the feedback and knowledge being shared on this thread. We will check all of the information shared here to provide you with a resolution about the color depth support through DisplayPort on Windows. Once I have an update or in case I need more information from you, I will post back.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello bernid

Here is an update on your question. In regard to color depth, we only offer the option to change it on Intel® Graphics Command Center through native HDMI connections. So at the moment, this will not be possible to do on DisplayPort, however, there is already a request to add future support for DisplayPort connections on Intel® Arc Control. There is no estimated time for the release of this feature.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello bernid

I hope you are doing fine. 

Were you able to check the previous post? 

Let us know if you have further questions.

Best regards,  

Hugo O.  

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello bernid

I hope you are doing fine. 

I have not heard back from you. So I will close this thread. We hope the information provided was useful to you. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Best regards, 

Hugo O.  

0 Kudos
bernid
Novice

Thank you for the information.

There seems to be no hope for my hardware after all.

Perhaps support for DP 10, 12-bit color in Windows will be possible someday for processors manufactured in 2021 and later (these Intel® Arc Control supports) but not those processors that use Intel Graphics Command Center (like my Gemini Lake). 

I'm disappointed.

0 Kudos