Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Whenever I try to install the pending update for graphics, I get an error.

HKarn1
Beginner

"The driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer Manufacturer."-This is the error message. Please do guide me through. I've already tried uninstalling & installing Intel DSA. Yet, it did not reap any result.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Gh0stb1t
New Contributor I

If you have a custom driver installed from your laptop manufacturer or motherboard manufacturer, this is expected behavior or it could be also that you are trying to install a DCH driver with DSA on an unsupported version of Windows... You cannot override a custom driver with Intel generic driver which is the only type of drivers DSA installs.... Also, you probably saw the DSA FAQ and help wizard (I hope so), it clearly says if you have a third party device, you need to get the proper drivers from their website, for instance, Lenovo, HP, Dell, MSI... etc... (and avoid using DSA unlesss you have a NUC or a Processor on a custom built desktop PC).

And I am wondering what level of support did you expect by providing zero hardware/software/OS information.... Very hard to understand your issue with no information...

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Manufacturers will customize drivers for simple reasons, like making sure that their name gets first billing, or for more-complicated reasons, like supporting unique hardware features. In laptop designs, this is more prevalent and almost a given in cases where hybrid graphics solutions are utilized. A hybrid graphics solution is one where two graphics solutions - the Intel HD Graphics engine and an NVIDIA or AMD HD Graphics engine - are both utilized, each for specific purposes. This could be automatic switching between a higher-power/higher-performance NVIDIA or AMD engine and the lower-power/lower-performance Intel engine. It could also be something like automatic switching to and from the Intel engine to support the use of its DRM capabilities.

Customized drivers can be replaced with Intel's standard drivers by simply uninstalling the custom drivers and then installing the standard drivers. It needs to be understood that, in so doing, you are potentially removing support for unique system features and capabilities, such as those I described above. I have seen people here complaining about getting stuck on the NVIDIA/AMD engine and their battery life being drastically shortened or not being able to watch DRM-protected content. I have also seen people here complaining about seeing flickering or some feature like dimming not working. I have also seen people here complaining about context menus taking too long to open because switching could not occur (but this can happen for other reasons as well). These are all usually symptoms of custom drivers being incorrectly replaced with generic drivers.

Bottom line, while you can always switch to the Intel generic drivers, you need to make sure that you are not creating other problems by doing so. You should discuss this your laptop manufacturer and make sure that you are not creating problems or losing a custom feature by doing so. This is not a question that Intel can answer; you must discuss it with the laptop manufacturer.

...S