Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20495 Discussions

Where is Intel USB 3.0 Extensible Host Controller driver for Microsoft Windows 8?

idata
Employee

I seached within Intel Support and what I got were Intel USB 3.0 Extensible Host Controller drivers for MICROSOFT WINDOWS 7.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=intel%20usb%203.0%20extensible%20host%20controller http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=intel%20usb%203.0%20extensible%20host%20controller

Microsoft Windows 8 was released yesterday, October 26 and where is the compatible driver for it?

Could an Intel technical support representative feedback to technical support about this problem?

253 Replies
idata
Employee

Are you using the USB Charging system?

No

Are you using the SSD for any special utilities, like Intel's Rapid Start, or Smart Response? The reason I ask is because my testing seems to show using the Smart Response can make USB speeds appear to be 2.0 speeds.

No, I was attempting a clean install from a USB 3.0 flash drive plugged into a USB 3.0 port. This works under windows 7 as I can merge Intel's dedicated USB 3.0 drivers into boot.wim.

There is a Bios update showing Dec 12, 2012.. I do not know what it is for (shows GOP), but possibly Windows 8 related.

I have the latest update, this is unrelated as the issues lies within boot.wim in the standard windows 8 install image. There are universal USB 3.0 drivers in this file but they are not functional in a pre-install environment. I know this because the Windows 8 installer asks for drivers to continue installing. This same problem takes place when I try to install Windows 7 but unlike with windows 7 there are no dedicated drivers to meet this request.

You USB ports show to be 3.0/2.0/1.1 compatible.

I am sure that I could force my USB 3.0 ports to work as USB 2.0 ports but that is a hack, not a legitimate fix. This would be like me telling Ford that my wheels fall off at 65 MPH and them telling me to drive less than 65 MPH.

If your ports work in Windows 7 then they are different from mine which will not work in Windows 7 without loading the USB 3.0 drivers.

I do not know if you skipped most of my posts but I have said over and over that I need to merge Intel's dedicated Windows 7 USB 3.0 drivers into boot.wim to make them work. I have mentioned this so often to drive home the point that within Windows 7 Intel provides a functional fix but within Windows 8 Intel has elected not to provide the same dedicated coverage.

Let me make the other point again very clearly. I CAN install Windows 8 from Intel USB 3.0 IF I use the modified drivers pack AND use the /forceunsigned parameter when merging the modified drivers into boot.wim. This means that Intel ALREADY can fix this issue IF they modify their own drivers in the same way and re-sign them to make them pass driver signing checks. I can only guess why they do not do this, it likely has something to do with an agreement they have with MS not to create dedicated drivers for Windows 8.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Your concern with modifying the .wim file should not be involved in this thread. We should only discuss what most folks have access to. When you say you can get the Windows 7 ports to work by modifying the .wim, you are confusing the issue. I can get my 3.0 ports to work in Windows 7 by just adding the drivers during the install.... Which is what I also do when doing a re-image of my system. But, I do not need to add the drivers to install or re-image with Windows 8.

I am going to say, and this can only be a guess, that the problem lies with you having one controller to handle ports that are backward compatible to USB 1.1. Since my USB 2.0/1.1 ports are physically different from my USB 3.0/2.0 ports, maybe the Windows 8 drivers cannot be (or were not) written to handle that type of controller.

I am sure that I could force my USB 3.0 ports to work as USB 2.0 ports but that is a hack, not a legitimate fix. This would be like me telling Ford that my wheels fall off at 65 MPH and them telling me to drive less than 65 MPH.

I am not suggesting you slow down your ports, but if you turn off the backward compatibility they may be able to reach 3.0 speeds. The ports already work at 2.0 and 1.1 speeds. And turning off legacy support is a bios function, not a hack.

But ASUS sold you that computer, and should support it. They may know it will not work, but are not willing to admit it.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Your concern with modifying the .wim file should not be involved in this thread.

This thread is about Intel USB 3.0 functionality issues under Windows 8 and the lack of dedicated Windows 8 drivers. I found this thread looking for a solution to my problem because it is the same problem.

We should only discuss what most folks have access to.

So you have been appointed the leader of this thread?

When you say you can get the Windows 7 ports to work by modifying the .wim, you are confusing the issue. I can get my 3.0 ports to work in Windows 7 by just adding the drivers during the install.... Which is what I also do when doing a re-image of my system.

This is only confusing if you do not know what boot.wim is and what it does. If you did then you would understand that when Windows moved from 7 to 8 the natural progression is to move from merging new hardware drivers to native support. What actually happened was that we went from needing to merge the drivers to not having any options or functionality at all when it comes to Intel USB 3.0 in a pre install environment.

But, I do not need to add the drivers to install or re-image with Windows 8.

If you want to install Windows 8 from an Intel USB 3.0 port, yes you do. Anyone with a slim laptop lacking an optical drive and only Intel USB 3.0 ports will be doing the same thing and finding a dead end when they are asked for drivers.

But ASUS sold you that computer, and should support it. They may know it will not work, but are not willing to admit it.

You are missing the point. They don't have any magic drivers for Intel 3.0 ports, no one does and that is the problem. MS provided drivers that sort of work post-install but not all pre-install.

Let me ask, do you understand the nature of the issue I raised? The problem is 2 fold.

1. The universal USB 3.0 drivers included in Windows 8 do not allow you to install Windows 8 from an Intel USB 3.0 port. This means that the post install solution is moot due to never being able to install to begin with from these ports.

Typically this would not be a problem but.........

2. Intel does not provide a way to bypass this issue as they did in Windows 7 by providing dedicated driver support. Under windows 7 I can modify boot.wim to include Intel's fully functional drivers and poof, problem solved. I can install the OS in under 3 minutes from a fast USB 3.0 flash drive. If the image does not work as intended I can modify, and recreate the image quickly to try again as I am no longer tied to legacy DVD install media.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Bruce Harrison wrote:

So you have been appointed the leader of this thread?

Well, I suppose I will give up also....

Where is your thread in the ASUS forums?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Where is your thread in the ASUS forums?

This is both a MS problem (universal USB 3.0 drivers do not work in a pre-install environment) and an Intel problem (Intel provides dedicated Windows 7 USB 3.0 drivers but not dedicated Windows 8 USB 3.0 drivers) therefore I posted on both Intel and MS forums.

If I ask ASUS about this they are going to tell me (and correctly so) that they cannot solve issues with Intel refusing to create dedicated drivers and MS producing universal drivers that don't work correctly. If Intel creates dedicated USB 3.0 drivers ASUS will vet them and then repackage them on their site, just like any PC maker does does when a driver issue is corrected by the producing company. The reality is that since changing the OS (7 instead of 😎 and changing the drivers (hacked Windows 7 version instead of Windows 8 generic USB 3.0 drivers) both fix the issue, the maker of the laptop has already been exonerated in confirming both driver and OS issues.

I really hope that you can see that I have done my homework here and in solving the issue for myself have confirmed the cause. Keep in mind, I don't even have a problem anymore. I came here looking for a solution and I found it. I merged the hacked drivers into my Windows 8 image and poof, all is well again. I can build and install Windows 8 in just a few minutes flat, just like I did with Windows 7.

0 Kudos
PBate
Beginner

I find this whole problem very frustrating. Just recently bought new laptop with latest Intel chipset and support for USB 3.0 only to find out that driver support on Windows 8 is catastrophic.

I own Corsair Voyager GT 3.0 GT and Windows doesn't even recognize drive when I plug it in USB 3.0 port!

I went through hassle to test stick on Windows 7, so I installed it on separate partition and USB 3.0 port and Voyager USB 3.0 worked perfectly with Intel drivers.

I realize I haven't written anything new here but a least want to have my "voice" heard so hopefully someone responsible will more likely react and issue a fix.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Where is Intel's sense of accountability regarding this issue?

Has Intel monopolized their industry? The only real contender, AMD, seems to be fading into the background, and I'm not sure, but AFAIK AMD really only ever contended in the processor market.

Monopolies are never healthy for good things such as "accountability".

There's not even a Intel representative to comment in Intel's own "Support Forum", or I have yet to see one in this thread.

We cannot even choose to boycott Intel tech since they are the mainstream tech in just about every PC platform.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Well, I just found out I've been wasting my time asking about this over at answers.microsoft.com for the last two months. I wasn't aware that it was just a peer supported forum. I thought there was a Microsoft presence there. Drat. Is there an actual Intel presence on this forum?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Well, I just found out I've been wasting my time asking about this over at answers.microsoft.com for the last two months. I wasn't aware that it was just a peer supported forum. I thought there was a Microsoft presence there. Drat. Is there an actual Intel presence on this forum?

There is but this issue in particular does not seem to be of much interest to them, at least that is what I gather from the silence. Who knows, maybe they have these issues fixed and in beta testing.......but I doubt it. The wording they are using on the driver page sure makes it sound like this situation is the way it is and wont be changing.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Having delayed upgrading to Windows8 because of this reported issue I decided to go for it and - there I have had no problems at all, I'm getting USB3 speeds just fine. The Upgrade Assistant does advise that there is a imcompatibility before you upgrade, but the inbuilt Windows8 driver clearly does the job.

Despite being the most difficult organisation I have ever had the misfortune to try to contact, they seem to think everyone is a technical expert, they have posted info on this http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/usb3/sb/CS-033870.htm?wapkw=usb3+extensible Intel� USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver — Not Compatible reported when upgrading from Microsoft Windows 7* to Windows 8*

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Would you mind giving us your system specs? PC Model etc.

Maybe a screenshot of your USB 3 speed in action?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Would be happy to - if you can tell me easily how to get the info you need

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Would be happy to - if you can tell me easily how to get the info you need

I'm getting USB3 speeds just fine.

Whatever you did to determine that you are getting full USB 3.0 speed, press print screen, past into pic and upload it to this forum. My assumption is that you did some kind of benchmark in windows 7 and then in windows 8, just post a pic of what you are using to do this in windows 8.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm basing it on the fact that it took about 20 mins to transfer nearly 60GB of data between my Portable Hard drive and my laptop.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm basing it on the fact that it took about 20 mins to transfer nearly 60GB of data between my Portable Hard drive and my laptop.

Unless there is a solid state drive inside of your portable enclosure and your computer all you were testing is the throughput of the 2 hard drives as hard drives cannot overwhelm USB 3.0. If you actually want to test USB 3.0 this way both your laptop and portable drive would need to be solid state drives with maximum speed ratings faster than USB 3.0.

FYI on Windows 7 I can transfer 6 gigs in 75 seconds via Intel USB 3.0 to a USB 3.0 flash drive. That is faster than your Windows 8 test and I am not even using a real SSD.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

20 min? I can tranfer 60GB anywhere from 4min to 6min 10-12min. depending on whether the folder/files came from an HDD or an SSD to my external USB 3.0 drive. (Windows7)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

According to this site : http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10things/10-things-you-should-know-about-usb-20-and-30/1265 http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10things/10-things-you-should-know-about-usb-20-and-30/1265

A High-Speed USB 2.0 can transfer up to 60MB/sec, that means up to 72GB in 20 minutes. *

Where-as a USB 3.0 port can do 625MB/sec, that means 750GB in 20 minutes. *

* Hard-drive permitting.

So, copying at 60MB/sec does not necessarily mean that your getting USB 3 speeds.

0 Kudos
HPark17
Beginner

^Noob... hehe

You must not know about the overhead, and the real world limit of USB 2.0 and 3.0 transfer rates.

You only get about 30 MB/s on USB 2.0. I can guarantee you that unless you did some hack to squeeze out more speed.

Clare said "I'm basing it on the fact that it took about 20 mins to transfer nearly 60GB of data between my Portable Hard drive and my laptop.". This means 60GB/20min = 50MB/sec, so I think that is about average sustained USB 3.0 speed if he/she were using a HDD. I wonder how Clare got that speed without any driver hack though, so I'm still curious about the system.

There was another person saying his 7 series motherboard actually gave USB 3.0 transfer speed without any driver hack. Maybe it's just certain chipsets that are having problems.

Off topic, my intel motherboard (DH67CF) which has 6 series chipset came with Renesas USB 3.0. I never ever got to use that port in even Windows 7 because the driver or firmware having problems that it would always drop the whole HDD, and freeze the entire system. I'm never going to buy an intel board again.

Edit:

Guys, this is wacky. I was fiddling with recovery options, bcd edits, and Windows 7, uefi stuff, and then I messed up everything in Windows 8 that I couldn't get into recovery menus anymore. So I decided to do a clean reinstall of Windows 8, and boot using my win8 usb (fat32) flash drive and deleted all the partitions on the disk, then cleaninstalled. And guess what, my 1TB WD Passport is actually working properly as a USB 3.0 device.

I got average 55MB/s when I was copying Linux Mint 14 iso file, then I couldn't believe it, so I grabbed another iso file and took a screenshot, this one shows 45MB/s which isn't that bad, but way better than the USB 2.0's 30 MB/s.

I don't know what'll happen after I install all the drivers, and softwares, but I hope this speed sticks. This test was done without anything, I mean nothing at all. Not even the chipset drivers, so my IDE controllers shows as "Standard SATA AHCI" stuff instead of Intel series 7 matrix storage or whatever.

My laptop is a Thinkpad X230T by the way. It has QM77express chipset. The USB driver shows "intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 0100 (Microsoft)", which is the same one I had before, and same as everyone else.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I just bought a 256 gig Vector SSD and a USB 3.0 SATA 6g enclosure. As soon as they come in ill get you guys the stats on just how fast the Intel USB 3.0 controller can move a huge pile of files and one huge archive in Windows 7.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Here's two screen shots 93.7MB/s and 105 MB/s

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Clare, you are indeed copying at speeds way greater than USB 2.

Few questions:

1. What model laptop are you using?

2. What model external Hard Drive?

3. Please post a screenshot of your driver properties from device manager.

Here's how, if you don't know:

> Press Windows Button + R on your keyboard simultaneously.

> Type devmgmt.msc , press enter.

> Expand the "Universal Serial Bus controllers" tree node.

> Right-click on Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller and select Properties.

> Select the Driver tab.

> Post a screenshot of this window, please.

0 Kudos