Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Why can't I choose 2560x1440 (144 Hz) for Acer AOPEN 32HC1QUR monitor when connected with my ASUS ROG GL502VT laptop?

LRast
Beginner

The laptop has integrated graphics - Intel HD 530 and NVidia GeForce GTX 970M. However, I only see options of 59 and 60 Hz in the frame rate options in Advanced display settings. It says it is being powered by Intel HD 530 which by browsing other posts, I am sure can run the max resolution and framerate. I have attached the file generated by the Intel System Support Utility. I have also attached the Graphics settings System Information file. Do let me know if anything else is required.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello LRast, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following information: 

1. What cable and revision are you using? HDMI 2.0 or DisplayPort 1.2 (If the cable or box brings a model number please include it)? Are you using any type of adapter? 
  2. When you connect the second monitor, are you using the Extend these displays or Duplicate feature? 
  3. What happens if you disable the built-in display of your laptop and you only test the external monitor? 
  • Press Windows Key + P > Second Screen Only. 

Regards, 

Sebastian M.  

Intel Customer Support Technician.  

0 Kudos
LRast
Beginner
  1. I'm using the HDMI cable that was provided with the monitor. I have mixed up which packet belonged to the HDMI cable and which one to the power cable, so I've attached pictures of the both the barcodes. Hopefully that helps. No, I'm not using any adapter.
  2. I am using either Extend or second screen only. In both, the maximum resolution allowed is 2560x1440 at 60Hz.

You can refer to the manual found for gaming monitor with model number 32HC1QUR at http://global.aopen.com/download.aspx. According to it both HDMI and DP should be able to provide maximum resolution and framerate.

Do you think this could have something to do with the custom Intel HD 530 driver provided by ASUS? It's last release is in 2016 whereas Intel has had many updates for its driver for 530 even in 2020.

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello LRast, 

Thank you for the information, please follow these steps and let us know about the outcome:

1. I am unable to see the pictures that you attached, please keep in mind that 144Hz refresh rate with can only be achieved with any of the following outputs due to bandwidth requirements: 

• HDMI 2.0 
  • DisplayPort 1.2 
  • DVI-D (dual-link rate) 

In that case, the problem presented can be due to the cable that is being used. 

2. You can give it a try and download and install the latest generic driver Intel® Graphics - Windows® 10 DCH Driver 27.20.100.8190. Follow these steps to perform a clean installation: 

2.1 Download the latest DCH driver and save it on the computer. 

2.2 Disconnect from the Internet so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update. 

2.3 Uninstall the driver and the Intel Graphics Control Panel from Control Panel > Programs and Features

2.4 Restart the computer. 

2.5 Confirm in Device Manager Video Adapters the controller is listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' > if not, repeat steps 2.2 through 2.4. 

2.6 If the adapter continues to be listed as ‘Intel HD Graphics’ or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under 'Programs and Features' for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager: 

a. Right-click on 'Intel HD Graphics' or similar, and select 'Uninstall Device

b. In the pop-up window make sure 'Delete the driver software for this device' is checked. 

c. Click on 'Uninstall'

d. Restart. (Repeat steps 2.6.a through 2.6.1.d until the device gets listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter') 

2.7 Install the DCH driver that was downloaded in step 2.1. 

2.8 Restart the computer. 

2.9 Reconnect to the Internet. 

Note: The driver or software for your Intel® component might have been changed or replaced by the computer manufacturer. We recommend you work with your computer manufacturer before installing our driver so you don’t lose features or customizations. 

3. In addition, another limit here can be the port that you are using on your laptop since the bandwidth on it might not be enough to reach the 144 Hz. 

Regards, 

Sebastian M.  

0 Kudos
LRast
Beginner

Both the pictures have two codes each, one above and one below the bar code. These are

• G1PW015IN3WP00 (above) and PWHIN45188150630 (below)
  • G1HW015HDNYQU0 (above) and HWFHDM5191241522 (below) - This one has HDM in the below code so just a wild guess that this was the packet for the HDMI cable but I could be wrong.

I'm trying to contact ASUS to find out which port versions my laptop has. My laptop has USB-C, mini DisplayPort, HDMI and USB 3.0 ports. In case, the HDMI is of a lower version, will the mini DisplayPort or UCB-C ports work? If so, which output (monitor has hdmi, DVI-DL and DP) should I be converting from and to what? Also, do I need an adapter for any of this and if so, could you recommend which one?

Before I go ahead and do the steps to install the driver, could you tell me what kind of customizations or features you have seen in laptops like mine from ASUS ROG, if you don't know specifically about my laptop? And will installing this generic driver run the risk of messing up my laptop in anyway?

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello LRast, 

Thank you for your reply. 

Please remember that the 144Hz refresh rate is supported with HDMI 2.0, DisplayPort 1.2 due to bandwidth; it also depends on the ports that your laptop has and if they have the same revision to support the bandwidth. Intel® does not recommend the use of any kind of adapters, this is because we cannot test all of them, so we cannot guarantee that these are going to work. The best solution is to do a direct connection with a single cable that has the same connection type on both ends. 

We do not really know what customizations your system manufacturer might have added, that is why we highly recommend you checking with your OEM before upgrading the driver. 

Regards, 

Sebastian M.  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello LRast,  

Were you able to check the previous post and get support from the sources provided? Did you check with your system manufacturer for further specifications on your laptop?

Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Sebastian M.   

0 Kudos
LRast
Beginner

Based on this post - https://www.gadgetdetail.com/asus-rog-gl551vw-gl552vw-gaming-notebooks-launched-india/, since most of the specs matched up with gl502vt, I had a hunch that my laptop only has HDMI 1.4. This was also substantiated with another article which read that intel chips before 9th generation only support HDMI 1.4 directly. But they do have DisplayPort 1.2.

Since my laptop has a mini-DisplayPort 1.2, I went ahead and ordered this wire - https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07XG89HK9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. It works perfectly, I finally have 144Hz at 2k resolution 😄

Didn't need to upgrade any drivers etc, although when I did reach out to Asus with the same question, they just told me there's a hardware problem and to go to the nearest service centre. Thanks Asus for nothing.

Anyway thanks for you help! You can resolve this!

0 Kudos
decay
Beginner

I am having the same problem. Can you please tell me which wire you ordered as the link is not accessible anymore.

0 Kudos