Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20456 Discussions

Why is Intel Driver Update Utility Telling Me to Downgrade?

LMoso1
New Contributor I

I have the latest Intel Driver Update Utility (2.2) yet it is advising me to install version 15.33.35.64.4176 for my Intel HD Graphics card when I actually have 15.33.36.64.4226 already installed.

Which is the newer version?

10 Replies
LMoso1
New Contributor I

It lists two entries for the same graphics card but I only have one intel graphics card.

IUman
Honored Contributor II

Hello azroach,

I tested the Intel® Driver Update Utility from my end and it is working fine, I don't get this type of behavior, I test the software with an Intel® NUC.

I'm not sure if you are using an Intel system or if your system is and OEM computer, DELL, Toshiba, HP etc. Please know that these drivers found are generic and may not be supported by your system as your computer manufacturer added modifications that entitle them to provide the correct drivers so that could be one of the reasons that you are getting this behavior in your system.

LMoso1
New Contributor I

I have a dell but they recommend to use the latest driver from Intel.com. The driver update utility worked fine until now. Why is it telling me to install a driver that is not even listed in your download section? This driver that it suggests does not seem to exist.

Why would it matter if I have a dell system anyway? It should still identify my video card driver version correctly and then display an update for it not a downgrade

0 Kudos
IUman
Honored Contributor II

This Intel® Driver Update Utility was made to work mostly with Intel systems and it could be some compatibility problems. As mention before, we have tested the tool and it is working perfectly fine.

For you to download the proper drivers for your system we strongly recommend downloading the drivers from the DELL website or manually to download the Intel® Graphics Driver from the downloadcenter.intel.com.

Please be aware that since this is an OEM system, the driver could be customized to the OEM specifications.

0 Kudos
LMoso1
New Contributor I

This worked just fine with several driver updates in the past. Only now has it started showing me this driver. Why would it stop working all of a sudden? Not likely man

0 Kudos
IUman
Honored Contributor II

In this case, uninstall the one you have and install it again, you can download it at:

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect

0 Kudos
LMoso1
New Contributor I

I reinstalled and it is still showing options for two video cards but I only have one and the first recommended driver is the 15.33.35.64.4176 yet I have 15.33.36.64.4226 installed.

0 Kudos
Cesar_B_Intel
Employee

Hello azroach,

Intel provides generic versions of drivers for general purposes. Your http://www.intel.com/support/oems.htm computer manufacturer may have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to your driver. Intel recommends you contact your computer manufacturer for the latest system specific updates and technical support information.

Please confirm if you are using https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24345/Intel-Driver-Update-Utility Download Intel Driver Update Utility Version: 2.2.0.5 (Latest)?

Additionally, you could try reinstalling the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24345/Intel-Driver-Update-Utility Download Intel Driver Update Utility

Please share your findings.

Regards,

Caesar B.

0 Kudos
LMoso1
New Contributor I

What are these general purposes for which Intel releases these generic drivers?

Other than a manufacturer who may use the driver to alter it for their pcs, what are the generic drivers used for?

0 Kudos
Cesar_B_Intel
Employee

Helloazroach,

Thank you for bringing your inquiry to my attention.

These software drivers are generic versions and can be used for general purposes in order to provide customers with updated versions of the drivers releaed. However, computer original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) may have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to the software or software packaging they provide. To avoid any potential installation incompatibilities on your OEM (Possibly modified by OEM) system, Intel recommends that you check with your OEM and use the software provided by your system manufacturer. Intel and the computer original equipment manufacturer (OEM) may not provide technical support for some or all issues that could arise from the usage of this generic version of software drivers.

Additionally, Intel provides the driver as is, if the OEM made customizations or modifications Intel cannot ensure the proper installation, functionality of the generic drivers on the customized device, that is why it is recommended to try the manufacture's driver first and if it does not work then try a generic driver based on the same version the OEM is supporting as the latest on their website.

Regards,

Caesar B.

0 Kudos