Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
21060 Discussions

Why is i9 13900KS boosting only to 5ghz and 100°C at full load?

Exergon
Beginner

Have new custom PC.  I read the i9-13900KS 24 core should turbo-boost to 6ghz (no manual OC), with adequate cooling.  But am barely getting 5ghz, and quickly hitting 100°C at full load.

Intended to render for long periods on a daily basis, but is 100°C safe for that?? And why am I not getting 6ghz at full load? Settings to try?

Am monitoring with HWiNFO, and XTU wont run due to 'Undervolting disabled.'  Unable to locate where to Enable Undervolting in MSI bios.  

System:

Win 11
MSI Carbon WiFi (MS-7D89), Bios v1.3 (1-5-23)

i9-13900KS 24-core (Raptor Lake-S PCH)

64gb DDR5 (G-skill Fg-6400 x2)

Gigabyte RTX4090 GPU Windforce V2 24G

SSD Samsung 990 Pro 2TB

Lian Li Galahad II Trinity Performance AIO 360mm
Lian Li LANCOOL III ATX Mid-Tower (three 120mm 1300 rpm fans)
1200w power.

Turbo-boost enabled in bios. Airflow seems excellent.
On a tech-savvy scale of 1-10, I am about a 3.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello @Exergon

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.

We understand your processor is not reaching the maximum Turbo Boost Frequency.

Please keep in mind that processors don’t run at their maximum frequency all the time. The processor automatically selects the best frequency depending on the workload demand. If workload demand is high and there are no physical constraints, then the processor may operate at or close to the turbo frequency.

Ensure the following:

1.    Make sure that your system does not have physical constraints that will prevent the processor from reaching its max turbo frequency. Examples of physical constraints of the processor could be power delivery and thermal solution.

o  Make sure your processor thermal cooling solution is appropriate for your system.

o  Make sure that processor power limits (PL1, PL2) are allowing the processor to reach its maximum turbo boost frequency. Contact your system vendor for questions/instructions.

2.    Make sure your BIOS is up to date and/or reset BIOS to its default.

Once the steps have been followed, in order to have more information about your system, please download, install and run Intel® System Support Utility for Windows. Make sure you check “Everything” before you scan, then save the report and attach it to your response.

Then, please generate and attach the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool.

Best regards,

Jose B.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
mits
Beginner

hello i have 13900ks -z790maximus hero 

my clock speed is btwn  4/5.4 frennquenchy  in normal mode !! but why is so much !! i reset bios new windows install but nothing change 

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello Exergon

We hope you are doing fine. 

Were you able to check the previous post? 

Let us know if you still need assistance by sending the required reports. 

Best regards,  

Jose B.   

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello Exergon

We hope you are having a nice day. 

We have not heard back from you. So, we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Best regards. 

Jose B.  

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos