Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20623 Discussions

Why is my Omen laptop running extremely slow without the charger?

ELafl1
Beginner

Hi,

A while back I bought a Omen Gaming laptop and i'm having some issue's.

Details:

Hp OMEN 15-dh0xxx

16GB RAM

Intel I7-9750H 2.6Ghz

Nvidia RTX 2060, 6GB

512GB SSD

1TB HDD

When playing games, editing videos, or doing any other task I noticed a severe drop in performance when unplugging my charger.

I know that using a laptop on the battery is always slower then when plugged in but the difference is way to extreme.

I did some benchmarks to confirm this:

Plugged in:

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/22500959

CPU:

• Normal: 240fps
  • Heavy: 464fps
  • Extreme: 760fps

GPU:

• 3D DX9 : 260fps
  • 3D DX10: 220fps

--------------------------------

battery:

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/22500813

CPU:

• Normal: 134fps
  • Heavy: 370fps
  • Extreme: 550fps

GPU:

• 3D DX9 : 28fps
  • 3D DX10: 6fps

The drop in performance i see in the CPU is around what i'd expect when comparing battery to plugged in, so no issue there.

However the drop in GPU performance is off the charts, dropping from 220fps to 6fps is something i've never seen before.

When playing games (for example witcher on max settings) i can play on 60fps without any issue, i unplug the charger and it drops to 4fps.

I've updated all my drivers, manually and with the intel driver manager. (including bios). I've changed my power management settings to performance on max even on battery, but i notice no difference.

I've played around with the Nvidea settings, but no change there either.

Even with this bad performance the battery doesn't last too long, however i was aware of the short battery life on the laptop before i bought it, but i expected it to perform acceptable.

I'm out of ideas and don't know what to do about this.

Sorry if this is on the wrong Forum section, wasn't sure where to post this.

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This is a good question -- for HP. This is their laptop design and their BIOS' ACPI tables manage the decision-making for power management. You need to be asking them about their design.

...S

0 Kudos
ELafl1
Beginner

That would be great if they'd bother to answer...

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Gee, considering that you actually paid for this service as part of your laptop purchase, I would be a bit pi$$ed with their lack of support. Should your next laptop come from HP? I think not...

I detest Dell too, BTW (I am an equal opportunity detester).

...S

0 Kudos