Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20495 Discussions

Why won't Intel® Graphics - Windows® 10 DCH Drivers for Intel® NUC install on my Intel NUC?

RReus1
Beginner

The Intel Driver & Support Assistant says I need the update. The installation fails with the error message: "The driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer manufacturer."

Huh?

What is going on here? Why won't a driver identified for an Intel computer install on that Intel computer?

I've attempted the automatic installation at least 3 times and I downloaded the driver installation file and attempted a manual installation, all with the same end result.

I get a monitor blackout every few days that sure looks to me like a driver issue so I'm very interested in getting a driver update installed. This system is only 6 months old so hardware failure is unlikely.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. You did not specified your NUC model. Since you want install DCH driver I'm assuming that you have NUC with 6th generation CPU or newer. In addition your Windows should be updated.
  2. Download the latest DCH Graphics Driver Version: 26.20.100.8141 
  3. Disconnect the internet.
  4. Right click on currently installed driver (in Device Manager), then click on Uninstall device. Check the "Delete the driver software from this device" option.
  5. Reboot your computer. After finishing uninstalling you should see Microsoft Basic Graphics Adapter.
  6. Now, install previously downloaded driver 26.20.100.8141
  7. Reconnect the internet and reboot your computer.

Leon

RReus1
Beginner

The Intel Driver & Support Assistant does not bother to identify the NUC model, however it shows:

Computer

Intel® Client Systems NUC

System Manufacturer Intel® Client Systems

System Type Desktop

Motherboard Manufacturer Intel Corporation

Version J23203-408

BIOS Version AYAPLCEL.86A.0066.2020.0107.1027

Date 1/7/2020

SMBIOS Version 3.0

and also

Processor

Intel® Celeron® CPU J3455 @ 1.50GHz

Device Details

Manufacturer GenuineIntel

Description Intel64 Family 6 Model 92 Stepping 9

Architecture x64

# of Cores 4

# of Threads 4

Processor Base Frequency 1501 MHz

Current Voltage 1.8

Level 2 Cache 2048 Kb

Level 3 Cache 0 Kb

Processor Id 0x506C9

Revision 23561

Most of this dodges the original problem. Your suggested work around apparently fixed the problem.

The question should probably have been stated: "Why does the Intel Driver & Support Assistant tell me I should install a DCH driver update but give me the wrong version?"

The DSA downloaded version 100.7985, attempted to install version 100.7985, gave me an error message that provided incorrect advice- gave me version 100.7985 to download for manual installation which also failed with the same error message.

If I have to manually identify the guts of my system and find appropriate drivers, why bother with the DSA?

My concern now is that if the tool Intel provides to keep my computer up to date doesn't function properly, why should I trust the updates to function properly. and therefore, why should I trust Intel hardware to function properly?

I'm a retired civil engineer who certified as a network engineer to manage a 90 computer network for an 80 employee engineering consulting firm. I've used computers since 1965. My impression is that the bells and whistles making the marketing people happy are getting in the way of the basic system and security functions that I want my computer to provide.

Sorry about the rant. I guess I'm just getting old and tired. Thanks for the help.

Rich

0 Kudos
RReus1
Beginner

Also, Windows Update told me I was up to date throughout the driver update process giving me only Anti-Virus updates each day.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello RReus1,

We would like to jump in and provide further recommendations.

The Intel® DSA should install the DCH driver now. Please run the tool and let us know if the issue persists.

Also, please provide us with the following information:

• What is the driver version you are trying to install manually?
  • Generate a system report with the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach it to this thread.

1. Intel® SSU Download link
  2. Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".
  3. Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  4. To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".

Could you please attach a picture of the Intel® DSA's user interface when running the tool. We would like to have more information about the Intel® DSA not recognizing the Intel® NUC.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello RReus1,

If you need further assistance, please let us know. We will be glad to help you.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello RReus1,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this thread. If you need further assistance, please start a new thread, we will be glad to help you.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos