Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
21090 Discussions

Will 10bit SDR feature ever be added to the A770 drivers?

silicium
Novice

It has been a long way for A770 users to wait for the SDR 10bit function update being added  to drivers since 2022.  Using SDR 8bit mode on premium monitors in 2024 is so frustrated once you enable 10bit mode with graphic card from other company.  There is a huge gap between them. Even intergrated graphic cards from AMD are able to use SDR 10 bit nowadays.

A770 is a premium card which represent the best work delivered by intel. Company reputation could be  easily jeopardized if basic function can't be guarenteed 2 years after it was annouced. Please treat customers with your attention. 

Yann

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello silicium,

Thank you for posting in Intel community Forum.

For us to further check this, please help provide the following details:

1. Can you explain further why do you need this feature?
  2. Are you having issues with Intel Arc A770?

If you have questions, please let us know. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
silicium
Novice

Hi Mike,

I and my roommate are using dell U2723QX as my monitor right now. Recently, he bought a mini PC for 400 dollars with a AMD ryzen 8845hs processor and intergrated graphic card. He can work now on 10bit  SDR mode for microsoft office while my computer with A770 can only work on 8bit. The difference is enorme face to face when sitting before these computers.

What's more, I spend more money on my A770 than his entire mini PC costs. That's a very hard reality for me to deal with. Well, sometimes he does make joke on me on that, I am totally speechless. 

I hope that intel can understand why customers like me have those feelings for not being treated well.  

Thank.

Yann

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello silicium,

Thank you for the update.

I will have this inquiry checked. however, let me also request for the SSU logs of your system.

Please download the utility here, extract the .txt file and attach it on your next reply post.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html

If you have questions, please let us know. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
silicium
Novice

By the way, If you need my roommate's computer log files, I can upload that too in case that you need. 

Yann

0 Kudos
silicium
Novice

Hi there, 

This is my computer SSU logs.  I hope that everything in it works fine. 

Yann

0 Kudos
MUC
Valued Contributor II

I agree that it looks very bad for Intel not to be able to get the signal delivery of 10-bit SDR right for such a long time. It's disappointing.

As a reminder for Intel:

https://github.com/IGCIT/Intel-GPU-Community-Issue-Tracker-IGCIT/issues/179

https://github.com/IGCIT/Intel-GPU-Community-Issue-Tracker-IGCIT/issues/304

https://github.com/IGCIT/Intel-GPU-Community-Issue-Tracker-IGCIT/issues/658

Nevertheless, some comments for a possible solution with YOUR devices.

Monitor Dell UltraSharp U2723QX, 27" (4K @ 60 Hz 10-bit)

• 1 x HDMI 2.0 TMDS
  • 1 x DisplayPort 1.4
  • 1 x USB-C with DisplayPort 1.4

HDMI 2.0 TMDS supports a maximum bandwidth of 18 Gbps. Due to pixel-accurate rendering, a monitor should use the RGB color model if possible. 4K @ 60 Hz RGB 8-bit CTA-861 (HDMI standard) = 18 Gbps (594 MHz TMDS). This means that the transmission of RGB 10-bit via HDMI would only be possible using the YCbCr color model, which in turn has other restrictions. This applies regardless of the source device. This is a property of the protocol.

The transmission of real RGB 10-bit at the maximum resolution and refresh rate of this monitor is therefore only possible via the DisplayPort connection. The Dell U2723QX is certified according to VESA DisplayHDR 400. With HDR activated, the Intel Arc A770 can output a signal corresponding to the monitor's certification with 4K @ 60 Hz RGB 10-bit HDR Coordinated Video Timing - Reduced Blanking (CVT-RB) via the DisplayPort output. Is this not suitable for your purpose? For a more detailed analysis, please create a Report for Intel Graphics Drivers and attach the file here.

Your AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (AM5 Raphael) processor is equipped with integrated graphics. The motherboard is an ASUS TUF Gaming B650M-Plus WiFi with these ports:

• 1 x HDMI 2.0 TMDS
  • 1 x DisplayPort 1.4 HBR3

To use those ports with the integrated Radeon graphics for less demanding rendering tasks, it must first be activated within BIOS:

MUC_0-1719429801722.png

Then connect a bi-directional DisplayPort > USB-C cable (e.g. this one) to the USB-C input of the monitor (connector #5 on page 12 in the PDF manual)

MUC_1-1719429888253.png

After installing the AMD graphics drivers in Windows, you can then use the Adrenalin software to adjust the color depth for this DisplayPort output, hopefully the same as what your roommate has. Alternatively, use AMD Radeon Settings.

MUC_3-1719430530128.png

Please note in the linked articles that it does not work without restrictions even with AMD: "The software application must be running in exclusive full screen mode, otherwise the image will be rendered in 8-bit mode."

silicium
Novice

Hi MUC, 

Thanks for sharing your idea. 

As you mentioned, I do use DP port for output on daily basis. The reason that I need SDR mode is that using too much HDR mode cause significant damage to my eyes. I have to take a break every 10-15 minutes cause my eyes are more sensitive compare to others.

Speaking of the intergrated graphic card in 7950X, it has only 4cu for the processor. 8845HS has 12cu in the  processor, so there is a huge improvement in its performance. The system is very laggy when I use intergrated graphic cards as the signal output. Since I need this computer to do some heavy lifting when using my softwares, I would rather not to switch to the intergrated graphic card. 

By the way, I do understand that intel is in huge trouble nowadays facing some strong competitors challenge. I do understand that resources are allocated to department where mangement team consider more important than others. Lacing of human resources can significantly slow down the schecule of getting a solution here. But enabling 10 bit mode is must have feature today.  So i hope that the develppers team could reconsider there position on this question. 

Thanks for everyone

Yann

0 Kudos