Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20494 Discussions

Win 10 Cherry Trail OpenGL fullscreen scaling problem

AIgna5
Beginner

Hello everyone!

Recently I bought Windows 10 based TV Box. and some weird stuff appears - because of low overall performance I set lower screen resolution 1024x768. In a control panel I also set "constrain proportions" ans "override applications" settings.

Everything was fine until I didn't tried to run fullscreen OpenGL-based application - as result, there was a tiny 1024x768 picture with huge black borders outside. At that moment monitor reporting that resolution is 1920x1080, what shouldn't be.

After exiting this program monitor keep reporting 1920x1080 resolution, and system desktop looks similar now - tiny 1024x768 picture inside of big black background.

I figured that fullscreen DirectX-based apps works properly (as you can see at Before.jpg file), problem appears only with OpenGL ones.

Is there any workaround here? Fix maybe? For now drivers updated with "Intel Driver and Support Assistant" to the latest version.

Some technical info:

TV Box: Beelink Z83II

CPU: Intel x5-Z8350 Cherry Trail

GPU: Intel HD Graphics

GPU Driver: Intel Windows * [15,40] 20.19.15.4963

Sorry if there was similar threads, but all I found at this forum is only info about DX apps, or advice to update driver (already done)

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Thank you very much for contacting the Intel Communities Team, mrxiong. I will be more than happy to assist you.

Please go to the Intel® HD Graphics Control Panel > Display > Scaling > Select "Scale Full Screen" and then apply.

Please let me know how it goes.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
AIgna5
Beginner

Hello! Thank you for answering!

It's no matter what kind of scaling factor set at the control panel - I tried all of them with same result, set and unset override option. Screen scaled well exactly until i start any of these apps - after that everything becomes like with "centered" option set. After closing such app desktop becomes like "centered" too.

Little clarification about photos - side borders at Before.jpg is normal because of 4:3 aspect ratio. The problem is shown at other photos - tiny "centered" screen appears, whereas at the control center set another scaling mode like "stretched".

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you very much for your reply, mrxiong.

It seems that there is a difference between the resolution of the application you are using and the resolution of the display. Try setting the resolution of the monitor the same as the resolution of the application to be able to use it on fullscreen.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
AIgna5
Beginner

Thanks for reply!

I always getting such kind of behaviour, with every resolution set. At my examples everywhere set 1024x768 resolution, at the desktop and at the application.

I tried these apps on my desktop PC with the same OS, same TV\Monitor, same HDMI cable\port, same software\settings but with another vendor's videocard and such things never happens there - screen scaled as expected with every fullscreen app.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you very much for replying back, mrxiong.

May I please have the name of the application which is causing this issue? In that way, we can try to reproduce this behavior at our labs.

Additionally, allow me to share with you that some Intel Atom® processors (e.g. Braswell, Cherry Trail and Bay Trail) only have one display scaler. That is because on Embedded system the panel that is "always there" is dedicated to said Scaler, and thus provides clean support for most local usage models (like gaming at non-native resolution). For a Desktop system though, no internal display means the scaler should in principle be free to be bound to one of the external outputs and could cause issues like the one you are seeing.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, mrxiong.

I would like to know if you still need assistance. If so, please do not hesitate to reply to the thread.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
zDavi3
Beginner

Anthony:

It looks like this thread is pretty old but I am having the same problem and i don't think anyone has been able to articulate well enough to you (Intel) what the actual problem is. I can tell you that on these tv boxes that us the Z8350 cpus there are no intel HD options that will fix the screen scaling problem that is being complained about. I will do my best to give you an actual example and if you respond to the thread I can give you more examples. I actually have 3 different boads that use this cpu and one of them is an AEon Up-board that i thought might be different but ended up acting the same way. I will not explain the problem starting with what i am actually able to do.

I am able to change screen resolutions to anything I want. From 640 x 480 all the way up to 1920 x 1080 on a monitor or tv. I am able to make selections that affect screen scaling and screen centering. As you had suggested earlier in the thread I made the selection "scale to full screen". Now, I am actually using these little boards to make miniature gaming systems and so I install steam and other similar applications on them. The only way this cpu can handle even simple games is by turning the resolution down. So the example I use is Street Fighter IV running in steam. The game will open at 1080p and as soon as I turn the resolution down the screen gets smaller and the resolution won't change. In other words it will not fill the screen. If i select 640 x 480 the window just shrinks to that size leaving a huge black border around it. This is exactly what the original poster showed in his picture.

I am more than happy to provide more examples if you like and also pictures if you respond to this post. I have an old intel NUC that i have all the same software on and the NUC scales perfectly so I know that this problem is limited to the products using this cpu. since most people are using these products to watch tv at 1080p they would never even notice.

-Zach

0 Kudos