Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20498 Discussions

Win10 completes driver installation but it's not actually installed

CapH
Beginner

Hello,

I'm trying to install the latest graphics driver Version: 27.20.100.9168 which the "Intel® Driver & Support Assistant" suggested I should upgrade to over my 27.20.100.8280 one from last year.

I go through the installation and after it says it completed successfully I reboot but when I'm in Win10 again almost always I get the installation window again but even if not, checking shows no new driver was installed.

I did these kind of installations before with no problem and not sure why it fails now.

I have HD610, Win10 Pro 1909 x64, Intel G4560 CPU, B250m Gigabyte MB.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
CapH
Beginner

Thanks, tried it. Same results.

0 Kudos
CapH
Beginner

I've tried Driver Booster, no newer graphics driver was found.

Just tried Driver Easy. it finds many updates others didn't including the same 9168 driver. I'll give it a try.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Please do yourself a favor and NOT use 3rd party driver tools like driver easy. You never know what information from your machine they are uploading (and to what country it is going), and you never know what payload is in the packages they are downloading.

With Windows Update providing driver updates, and IDSA providing updates, that is all you need.

If there is a problem with installation, wait for one of the Intel support engineers to assist you.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

0 Kudos
CapH
Beginner
Thanks for the warning.
I would love for someone from Intel to address my problem which isn't solved yet.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Or try starting Windows updates, maybe it updates the graphics with it.

[Your version: 1909; Latest version: 20H2]

0 Kudos
CapH
Beginner

I was hoping to avoid updating to latest Win10 version for now but if nothing works maybe I'll go for it. 

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @CapH

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to check this further, could you please provide the following details?

1- Have you tried only Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA) to update the driver? Or have you also tried with the direct download link and running the .exe installer for driver Version: 27.20.100.9168?

2- Is there any specific reason why you are trying to update the driver? (besides being up to date)

3- Where and how are you checking if the driver is installed? Please provide details.

4- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Note: We will send you an e-mail to the e-mail address associated with your community profile. Please reply to the email in order to provide us with the Intel® SSU report to avoid exposing sensitive information in the communities.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
CapH
Beginner

Thanks for trying to help.

Answers to your questions:

1. I have tried both IDSA and downloading and installing directly the EXE file you provided the link to. Same results, driver not installed.

2. Yes. for the last week I've been experiencing sudden screen shutdowns or blackouts while in WIN10 after only a few seconds of inactivity. Using the mouse or keyboard brings screen back. Not sure if a new driver will change that but wanted to rule it out as a possible cause.

3. After each installation I'd check Device Manager, Display Adapters to verify that device manager version of the HD610 is still 27.20.100.8280.

4. I've sent you the SSU report in reply to your email.

I will add that I checked again the possibility of upgrading my system to WIN 20H2 version and still not wanting to do so after reading about possible bugs.

Hope to hear from you soon.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello CapH

Thank you for your response and for all the information. Let's try first to update the driver. Please follow these steps as detailed below:

1- Download the latest driver update .exe file from this link and save the file on the computer: Intel® Graphics - Windows® 10 DCH Driver Version: 27.20.100.9168.

2- Disconnect from the internet to make sure the driver will not be automatically updated by Windows.

3- Right-click the Windows Start button. Select Device Manager.

4- Expand the section Display adapters and look for the Intel Graphics entry in Device Manager.

5- Right-click on Intel Graphics and click Uninstall.

6- In the device removal dialog box, check Delete the driver software for this device and click OK.

7- Restart the computer after the uninstallation is complete.

8- Open Device Manager once more.

9- Very Important: Expand the Display Adapter section again:

• If the graphics entry still displays Intel Graphics HD 610, repeat steps 5-7.
  • If the graphics entry displays Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, run the previously downloaded .exe file to install the driver.

10- Reboot the computer when prompted.

If the installation is unsuccessful with the .exe file, try installing the driver using the .zip file:

1- Download from the same link on Download Center and save the .zip file (igfx_win10_100.9168.zip) on the computer.

2- Disconnect from the internet to make sure the driver will not be automatically updated by Windows.

3- Follow the previous steps 5-7 above until the driver in the Device Manager displays as Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. Go to where the .zip file is saved and unzip it.

4- Right-click the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.

5- Select Update driver.

6- Click Browse my computer for driver software.

7- Click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.

8- Click Have Disk.

9- Click Browse. Select the location where the driver files are located.

10- Click Next. Drivers are being installed.

11- Reboot the computer when prompted.

Please report back the outcome of the steps.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
CapH
Beginner

Hey, Andrew, 

Thanks a lot for your advice.

Was about to try it after making a system backup, just in case, and then very timely got a notice that version 9316 is available to install. 

So I tried it and surprisingly or not it was installed with no problems.

I guess I'll just have to implement your suggestions if this issue returns next time.

Much obliged.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello CapH,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We are glad to know that you were able to install the latest driver; however, please test it over the weekend and if it presents any problem don’t hesitate to reach out. 

Also can you please let us know if the issues you reported (screen shutdowns or blackouts) were fixed after you install that driver?

Regards,

Victor G. 

Intel Technical Support Technician

0 Kudos
CapH
Beginner

Hello, Victor,

Will let you know if new driver has  any issues.

So far, so good.

Forgot to mention that indeed screen blackouts stopped after new driver's installation 😃

Regards.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello CapH

Thank you very much for your response. It is good to know that the "screen blackouts" behavior has also stopped with the new graphics driver. For any other inquiries, please do not hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello CapH

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
CapH
Beginner

Hey, Andrew,

Still good here and hopefully this continues.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos