Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Windows 10 Creators Update* & Intel® HD Graphics Drivers

RonaldM_Intel

With the release of Microsoft Windows 10 Creators Update*, an updated Intel® HD Graphics Driver is not required.

Existing Windows 10 Anniversary Edition Intel® HD Graphics Drivers will continue to work with Windows 10 Creators Update*.

The current Intel® HD Graphics Drivers that support Windows 10* should continue to work with Windows 10 Creators Update*.

For more information on Windows 10 Creators Update*, please visit the Windows 10 Creators Update https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/upcoming-features Web site.

67 Replies
TMers1
Novice

After reading your post William I got excited to try it on my system. It turns out that I did not have Hyper-V turned on.

i may resort to reinstalling Windows 10 to see if that resolves the issue.

0 Kudos
rried
Beginner

I also have tried every combo of driver, virtualization off, and bios updated (A19). have an e6330 that is useless unless this driver issue gets fixed. heres hoping it does.

willing to try any suggestion, this is on a fresh copy of win 10, no other apps installed.

0 Kudos
TMers1
Novice

Ronald, I wanted to give you an update to our last conversation.

I resorted to reinstalling my system from scratch and in the process I found the cause of the issue on my system.

When I installed the latest version of Windows 10 (Creators edition) and all the updates the Intel HD Graphics 4000 worked fine. As I re-installed the application onto my laptop I verified the driver was still working after installing each application.

While installing one of my last apps the Intel HD Graphics 4000 stopped working.

My laptop is very compact and thin so it does not have a VGA port for a monitor. In order for me to connect to some monitors and overhead projectors I needed VGA so I purchased a Startech USB to VGA adapter (which worked great).

But, when I reinstalled the drivers for that Startech USB to VGA adapter my Intel HD Graphics 4000 stopped working. I uninstalled the drivers needed for that adapter and my Intel HD Graphics 4000 started working again.

My conclusion (right or wrong) is that the version of the Startech display drivers I have are not compatible with updates included in Windows 10 Creator's Edition.

RonaldM_Intel

Hello TedM7,

Thank you for sharing your feedback, since it is valuable for reassuring our users what we have observed during all our testing, which is that the latest drivers provided for 3rd Generation up to 7th Generation graphics controllers install fine on Windows 10 Creators Update (a.k.a RS2).

Edit: For all the user here, if you see an issue after updating to Windows 10 Creators Update, such as the Graphics Adapter showing Error Code 43, try the steps as detailed https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028416/windows-graphics-device-driver-error-code-43 here and let us know if it worked for you.

Kindest Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
DT7
Beginner

Can confirm that this indeed worked!!! Thank You

Uninstalling the Startech adapter driver solved the issue.

0 Kudos
LHuan28
Beginner

I have installed "Trigger External Graphics Family", which is usb to vga driver.

When uninstall it, the intel driver is worked.

Thank you

0 Kudos
DRau
Beginner

It took me a lot of time to find this thread. As it is not possible to avoid the "Creator Upgrade" HD Graphics 4000 failed to work. I had a completely different USB-Display adapter. Is it Microsoft, is it Intel, I don't know. No way to use a HD 4000 with "Creator Upgrade" and USB-Display adapter. What I now is, that I hate the constraint to have to upgrade Windows 10 every time Microsoft decide to.

CKell6
Beginner

I too am experiencing the same non-compatibility issues between the HD Graphics 4000 driver and Windows 10 creator edition running on my 4 year old Microsoft Surface. The driver failed when Windows automatically updated to Creator. I have tried all of the suggestions in this string to no avail. Finally, I set my Wi-Fi as a metered connection and restored the previous version of Windows 10. While it now works again, I am concerned about blocking Microsoft security updates for too long. Does Intel have a plan for resolving this non-compatibility issue?

0 Kudos
EZaku
New Contributor I

Where I can find the old Intel HD 4000 drivers? Why did Intel remove them from their download center?

0 Kudos
GManu1
Beginner

I have a Lenovo Z580 Ideapad laptop, with Intel HD 4000 graphics.

It started as Win 8, and was upgraded to Win 10.

It was working fine until the latest Win 10 Creators Update.

Now the Intel graphics driver generates error Code 43,

so Windows replaces it with a generic MS driver.

I was using 2 monitors, but the MS generic driver does not seem to support that.

Since the Win 10 update, I can only use one monitor.

I have tried several versions of the Intel driver (uninstalling the device and driver files each time):

Latest from the Intel web site: 15.33.45.4653 (for Win 7, 8.1, and 10)

Latest from the Lenovo web site: 9.17.10.3223 (for Win 8.1, using Compatibility Mode)

Whatever Windows Update installs

All have the same problem.

Sometimes when installing a new driver, the 2nd monitor will come alive briefly, then goes blank.

If I Disable then Enable the Intel HD 4000 device, I get a message like:

Display driver failed to start. Using Microsoft display driver.

Obviously the latest Intel driver is NOT compatible with Win 10 Creators edition.

Any more ideas on how to fix this?

EZaku
New Contributor I

Well. It looks like either Microsoft or Intel changed something in code, driver support or compatibility. There was no improvement prior to last Creators Fall Update (build 1709). Newly released Intel drivers (version 15.33.45.4653) gave no results as well.

Next thing I tried and it works for me now:

I walked through all driver versions downwards, reinstalling and testing them at least three days to validate the functionality. I found out, that the version 10.18.10.3282 for Windows 8.1 x64 (driver date 26.08.2013) works well and without any problems already one week. I tested different software (SolidWorks, Altair Hyperworks, FEKO) and different scenarios, e.g. waking up from the sleep mode, hibernation, hyper-v on/off, shared second monitor over mini display port and other stuff — the driver works perfectly.

The automatic driver update was blocked in gpedit during all driver tests and installs to avoid its automatic change:

1. Open Group Policy Editor gpegit;
  2. Go to \Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update;
  3. Change "Do not include drivers with Windows Updates" option to enabled.
  4. Delete you actual driver in devmgmt.msc completely, including driver files;
  5. Restart OS;
  6. Install Intel HD Graphics 4000 driver version 10.18.10.3282 for Windows 8.1 x64 (driver date 26.08.2013).

There is no way to get this driver from official Intel Download Center, so try to Google it by yourself.

Once again, this works for my ThinkPad x230 (2325CN9) with Windows 10 x64 (1709) and Intel HD 4000 graphic card.

Could anyone else please confirm that this driver is working or have any issues?

AKače
Beginner

I had to create account just to post on this thread. Idiots in Intel and MS.

I have a network with 50 win10 boxes in AD. Most of my PC's are G4400 with Intel VGA's. I also have 6 new Dell 3050 micro with 7th gen CPU.

As all reasonable admins I have GPO to postpone win updates to max. Last month creators update started rolling out on all my systems.

Immediately after that problems started to happen - lost network cards, flickering screens, system freezes, BSOD's. Even on BRAND NEW out of the box Dell 3050 Micro. After ALOT of troubleshooting the culprit was found - Intel's GPU's.

Now - I get Intel is big company, but WTF is wrong with you?! You had 6 months to fix your crap drivers and make it work with MShit. By this thread's responses I see you still have no clue.

Would you kindly PLEASE get your shit together? Own up to your idiocy and fix your crap, THANK YOU!

Hotfix with apology should be your immediate response, ffs.

So far the only thing that worked on SOME systems for me is rolling back to old drivers and even then I have to wait in some cases 2-3 days to confirm stability. Different CPU's also have different stable drivers.

CLane1
Beginner

Hi ea.zakutin

I have the same problem, in that downloading the Fall Creators Update resulted in the error 43, so that whereas I could use an additional 2 monitors on my laptop before the update, now I am stuck with the default windows driver and no extra monitors.

I went through the steps, but could not find the Intel HD Graphics 4000 driver version 10.18.10.3282 anywhere to download. A couple of websites looked promising, but downloading what appeared to be the correct driver only left me with 10.18.10.4252, which obviously doesn't work.

I saw you had another post in February 2018, does this mean that you solution in installing 10.18.10.3282 didn't work in the end?

I am so annoyed with this issue, and nearly bought myself a new laptop but the cost of a decent machine with similar specs to my existing one is absolutely ridiculous.

I have already uninstalled the Fall Creators Update twice, and gone back to 1607, but now get messages from MS advising that support for version 1607 will cease mid April. It appears that neither MS nor Intel are interested in resolving this issue

0 Kudos
EZaku
New Contributor I

Hi Chris,

I got the driver "10.18.10.3379 for Windows 8.1 x64" from http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/GRAPHICS-BOARD/INTEL/Intel-HD-Graphics-4000-Driver-1018103379-for-Windows-8-Windows-81-64-bit.shtml this site. It works "so-so", and has some limitations for my applications (see /message/533628 comparison table). Hope it works well for your tasks.

/message/541923# 541923 Here is what I found, Intel wrote about future driver releases:

There is no confirmation yet of the development of a driver for this unit, I cannot guarantee that there will be a release for a third generation processor. I would strongly recommend to check on the website.

Looks like the support is dropped. Looks like nobody cares.

I tried to use some of my programs under Linux. Fortunately, they are supported very well, and run the way faster as under Windows, excepting SolidWorks. For SolidWorks I installed the VirtualBox with Windows.

Anyway, these are only some "half-working" tricks.

Thank you, Intel. Thank you, Microsoft.

0 Kudos
ELim3
Beginner

I just updated to Fall Creators Update Windows 10 and am getting slow downs every 30 secs or so when playing a video file (.mkv) from Media Player Classic or VLC on my HDMI connection to my Samsung TV. I'm using Intel 630 on i7-6600k. The problem doesn't happen when I switch my TV to my nvidia geforce 1070. I'm using 22.20.16.4815 driver version.

0 Kudos
SRama18
Beginner

Hi, I was experiencing stuttering issues for Lenovo Y520 770HQ Intel iGPU 630 and Nvidia 1050Ti (Optimus) with 15.47 drivers and Windows Creators Fall Update. I found that using 15.46 drivers solved this issue: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27058/ Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.46]

0 Kudos
MFisc10
Novice

Please get this fixed!

I am a software developer and I don't mind setting aside a few hours to troubleshoot a problem.

I have set aside several days for this one and it is still unsolved.

I have an attitude similar the last frustrated post. This has cost me several days of productivity. I suppose I should throw my otherwise great laptop in the trash and hope you all will do your diligence next year when the whole thing will repeat itself with another forced update from msft.

You have no idea how many people you have affected with this. I am sure there are 1000s who never found this post or even get that it is between intel and ms to solve.

You can google the phrase "win 10 update caused 2nd monitor to fail" and follow those threads on 100s of websites before you ever suspect that it is the video card.

Do your homework and tell your superiors that this need attention. Get it fixed.

Computers are consumer products now. It appears that most of the people on this forum are engineers with full time jobs. How many ordinary people without the patience are just throwing their computers in the trash?

That is irresponsible on your part and bad for everybody.

MFisc10
Novice

I have a Lenovo G500s Touch screen. A nice laptop from 2014. I tried everything I could based on this thread, Many drivers rejected by windows 10.

Decided to go back to Windows 8... A project of several days for me. Just before starting that journey I tried the "Reset" command in Windows 10 recovery.

Hours later I was still at Windows version 1607 or so and my Intel HD Graphics 4000 was still working. I applied the "Fall Creators Update" expecting it to be lost again as I had seen 5 time previously.

This time it worked!! I can use the graphics card with the same driver I have used for months: 10.18.10.4358. Projects to a second screen! Hooray!

I have been running it in test mode for a week to be sure it will not fail on some future windows update. So far so good.

Moral of story?? Some installed software (SQL Server or other behemoth I was glad to purge with the Reset operation) was blocking windows 10 from using this driver ??? I find that a little far out.

0 Kudos
MFisc10
Novice

Solved with a Reset.

I am posting this again in brief with keywords only: I did the Reset command in Windows and it resolved my intel graphics card with the Creators update. I had tried about 10 other things before this and I was giving up.

0 Kudos
MFisc10
Novice

The longer version of my story is on Jan 29, 2018 9:01 PM

0 Kudos
EZaku
New Contributor I

Hello everybody,

did anyone test the latest Intel HD 4000 Driver for all known problems described above, version 15.33.46.4885, from 1/3/2018?

Thanks in advance!

UPD: In their https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27417/eng/ReleaseNotes_15.33.46.4885.pdf release note is written: Issues fixed: NA, Known issues: NA 😃 INTEL, ARE YOU SERIOUS?

UPD2: Tested. It doesn't work as well. The same issues and poor CAD performance.

0 Kudos