Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20454 Discussions

Windows 10 Intel GMA 4500 HD / Intel G41 Express Chipset - display resolution 1920 X 1080 not available?

VAndr3
Beginner

Hi, I have two Dell PCs operating Windows 10 with Intel GMA 4500 HD / Intel G41 Express Chipset.

The first one when connected to the monitor comes up with the correct screen resolution option of 1920 X 1080 (it autodetects it anyway)

However the second one does not have this resolution option and won't allow me to create a custom one. As a result it's either 1024 X 768 or 1280 X 1024 both of which are stretched.

Both PCs purchased are the same build so I am confused as to why one works and the other one doesn't.

Any advice please? Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Your graphics are not supported on Windows 10. Look way down this page under "legacy":

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005526/graphics-drivers.html Supported Operating Systems for Intel® Graphics Products

This also means that your processor is not supported on Windows 10.

You need to upgrade to a new(er) system that is supported.

Doc

0 Kudos
VAndr3
Beginner

Thank you for your reply.

That's strange because the PC I am on now with the same specs is running Windows 10 fine and has the correct display settings of 1920 X 1080.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

The G41 chipset is 10 years old, and is not supported on windows 8.1 or Windows 10. You are running the Microsoft generic driver. How much longer you will be able to run on your platform is up to Microsoft. There are no drivers available from Intel for your graphics.

Really, the best thing to do is consider an upgrade to a new(er) system that is supported on Windows 10.

Doc

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Something to try: Right-click on the desktop and choose Display Settings. In the resulting window, click on the Detect button (near bottom center). This should, in theory, cause it to redetect the display present.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
VAndr3
Beginner

Thank you I have already tried this but even when I can get the option for 1920 X 1080, I get the error message "The current input timing is not supported by the monitor display" and it reverts back to stretched display.

I know this monitor does support 1920 X 1080 as it worked fine on the previous Dell PC. Baffled.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I don't have any other solution to offer. Yet another issue in the MS Compatibility driver. Unfortunately, neither Intel or Microsoft will provide support for this hardware any longer.

Sorry,

...S

0 Kudos