Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Windows 10 - UHD Graphics 600 - Informations in Advanced Display Settings are wrong

Ksanto
Novice

Hello together,

I have a problem whose root can be seen in the advanced display settings. There are displayed wrong native resolution and frequency and therefore I have distortion and glitching of the picture as I have no simple way to correct the values.

What makes me suspicious is that I have none such problem with other machines with same version of windows 10 and HD graphics 3000 or HD Graphics 520 as well as with the problematic machine when only Microsoft  Basic Display driver are installed. That would not be a problem if I would not need the better performance of the intel driver as also the audio output over the GPU. The problems only occurs when I install any recommended Intel driver for UHD Graphics 600 from the first across the last to the newest beta.

Am I getting it right that the wrong information in Advanced Display Settings are read over the Graphics driver from the Display? Then the root cause sertently would be the Driver. I mean, when the Microsoft basic Display Driver is working, it can not be any restriction in the BIOS?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Ksanto

10:06: typo

0 Kudos
22 Replies
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Ksanto, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, we would appreciated if you can provide the following (using the original setup that gives you the problem): 

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report generated:  

• Open the application, check the "Everything" box, and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".   
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".   
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".   
  • Use the option under the reply window to attach the report to the thread (Drag and drop here or browse files to attach).  

2. Provide the Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers, follow this link

3. Please provide a comparison screenshot/photo of the display difference using the Intel® Graphics Drivers and the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. Please include the a screenshot of the Advanced Display Settings, additionally; can you explain how do you know that the wrong resolution and frequency are shown? What are the expected specifications?  

4. Did this setup use to work before? If yes, did you make any changes before the issue started?  

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Ksanto
Novice

Hello Sebastian,

thank you for your Reply. I have attached the demanded Protocols and Photos.

Regarding your question about how do I know that the wrong resolution and frequency are shown: Because on other maschine there are other (the same in every maschine) values in the Advanced Display Settings and it works, whereas, on the original setup that gives me the problem, the values are different to the other systems.

Specific the original setup that gives me the problem did not work in before aside with the Microsoft basic display Adapter.

Regards

Kasnto

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Ksanto, 

Thank you for the detailed information provided, based on those reports, you can try the following: 

1. I can see that the report you sent with your mini PC named "Intel(R) UHD Graphics 600 - Tuesday, 01 September 2020 - Problematic System" shows the driver does recognize 1920x1080 as a supported resolution, check that under "* Digital Display 2 *", "Supported Modes". 
  2. Based on the above, this does not seem to be a driver problem, but maybe a limitation on your mini PC. 
  3. Have you tried manually chaning the display resolution in the Windows Display Settings? Settings -> Display -> Display resolution
  4. To rule out this is not a bandwidth limitation on the ports of your mini PC, try disabling the 1st Display and just try to output through the 2nd one. Please do this using the Intel driver (not Microsof Basic's one), go to Settings -> Display -> Multiple displays -> Show only on 2
  5. You can also try reporting this to the manufacturer (OEM) of the mini PC to check any limitations, and firmware/BIOS updates that can help you with this. 

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Ksanto
Novice
Sebastian,

please explain to me first why it wuld be possible be a hardware related issue when it does work with the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter!

Thank you.
Ksanto
0 Kudos
Ksanto
Novice

Hello Sebastian,

So, by immediately answering your post I was hoping to get some more input before I followed your suggestions step by step this morning.

Nevertheless here are the results:

1. I also noticed that 1920x1080 is written in the report, but I would have blinders on to overlook that I simply had to switch the resolution. The problem is, there is no other working resolutions or modes available as you can see in the Pictures "IMG_1684.JPG and IMG_1685.JPG". The other available resolutions or modes have the same problem.

2. Based of the above, why should it be a limitation on hardware, so I ask you again to explain to me: how could Microsoft basic Display Adapter possible work when there would be any limitation on hardware?
3. See #1, i do not see how I should set the resolution your driver is recognizing but not making available

4. If I only switch to display exclusiv on two it is the same as before but without any control of the system because i cannot see anything. Picture "IMG_1687"

5. Of course I will try to reporting this to the manufacturer (OEM) but they will have questions, and before I did not ruled out (with explanation) why it works without the driver but not with it,  I will not attempt so. I have already updated anything the OEM provides at this point of time.

Regards,

Ksanto

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Ksanto,  

Thank you for your reply. 

Please keep in mind that the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter only works with the basic functions on the system, it will not enable full integrated graphics card (iGPU) features. The Intel graphics driver will enable full iGPU features and ports (included all by OEM design). 

Also, you can see that like your other system that uses HD 520, the same driver package will work with that and other systems, therefore; it is not a driver problem. Check under This download is valid for the product(s) listed below

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29808/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers?product=80939 

Please confirm the following: 

1. What is the brand and model number of that mini display that you are using?  
  2. How do you connect this from the mini PC to the display? Please include the brand and model of the cables and adapters (if applicable). 
  3. Try doing a clean installation of the latest stable and BETA versions just for testing: 

1. Download the latest DCH drivers and save them on the computer: 

2. Disconnect from the Internet so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update. 

3. Uninstall the driver and the Intel Graphics Control Panel from Control Panel > Programs and Features. 

4. Restart the computer. 

5. Confirm in Device Manager > Video Adapters the controller is listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' > if not, repeat steps 2 through 4. 

6. If the adapter continues to be listed as ‘Intel HD Graphics’ or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under 'Programs and Features' for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager

1. Right-click on 'Intel HD Graphics' or similar, and select 'Uninstall Device
    1. In the pop-up window make sure 'Delete the driver software for this device' is checked. 
    2. Click on 'Uninstall'. 
    3. Restart. (Repeat steps 6.1.1 through 6.1.4 until the device gets listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter') 

7. Install the DCH drivers downloaded on step 1, try first the stable, and then the BETA one. 

8. Restart the computer. 

9. Reconnect to the Internet. 

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Ksanto
Novice

Hello Sebastian,

another quick reply:

"Please keep in mind that the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter only works with the basic functions on the system, it will not enable full integrated graphics card (iGPU) features."

Exactly that seems not to make any sense, how can it be the the intel driver is not capable of basic functions as you say by yourself. That makes no sense.

"Also, you can see that like your other system that uses HD 520, the same driver packager will work with that and other systems, therefore; it is not a driver problem."

That is very interesting, I was not aware of that, so you say the HD 520 uses the same instruction set as the UHD 600? That is new to me and would indeed speak for it.

will try that tomorrow. Regards

Ksanto

0 Kudos
Ksanto
Novice

Hello Sebastian,

I can confirm the following:

1.  The Brand of the Specific Display that I want to use is a WAVESHARE 16103 5.5inch HDMI AMOLED 1080x1920 with the HDMI interface chip Toshiba tc358779XBG but I now also have (with the same problem) a DFROBOT DFR0524 5.5'' HDMI OLED-Display with the HDMI Interface chip Lontium LT6911C. When everything is working I want to solder one of them directly together.

2. I use the provided short 20cm generic brand HDMI cable (with UHD 600 and HD 520), but I also tried a Apple MC838ZM/B and can confirm that both of them are working with my Samsung TV and do not work with either of the displays in combination with the critical system. What else I noticed is that although I tried to find other PCs with intel graphic that have native HDMI ports, the protocol of the HD 520 for example reports connection over Displayport anyway, that was also the type of connector IS used with the HD 3000 (5m Display port to HDMI adapter cable). So maybe it is a HDMI (software) Problem, as it sems to work with Display Port.

3. I have done this before and now I tried this again with your instructions, no difference.

Regards

Ksanto

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Ksanto, 

Thank you for your reply. 

Please follow our recommendations below: 

• What we mean by the driver package being used in UHD 600 and HD 520, is that Intel uses a unified driver for them, you can test that by installing the exact same driver version (27.20.100.8587) on both PCs (the mini PC, and the Lenovo laptop) and you can see the laptop will work. 
  • Chances are that you may need a customized driver for your specific device, and those drivers are provided by the OEM. 
  • Based on the above, those are the reasons why we recommend you reporting this to the OEM. 

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Ksanto,  

Were you able to check the previous post and follow our recommendations of consulting with the OEM? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Ksanto
Novice

NO, I did bypassed the inability of your driver (no, i will not stop saying this till somebody explained to me why it is that the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter is capable of showing a picture and Intel Driver is not). I ruteforced the problem by reading the EDID values when Intel Drivers are not installed and it is working fine with Microsoft Basic DIsplay adapter, then installed the most recent Intel drivers, deleted the current EDID entries and entered the EDID values read out before with some further tweaking.

And no, this is not anywhere near of a solution.

Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Ksanto, 

Thank you for your reply. 

Please be aware that the Intel graphics controller reads the EDID from the monitor directly and does not read Windows registries for that, then the Intel graphics driver will enable all the features and capabilities from the port and graphics card, that is why the output is different. 

As we advised, the problem is not related to the Intel graphics driver since the same driver will work with other systems, you need to report this specific behavior to the OEM. 

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Ksanto
Novice
And where do you think does the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, THAT DOES WORK, read the EDID from? Not from the Display?
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Ksanto,  

Thanks for the reply.  

As we confirmed the driver works (tested with different systems), we strongly believe this problem is not Intel related. As we advised before, you need to work with the OEM since you might need a customized driver from their side.  

We will proceed to close this inquiry, please feel free to let us know if you have any additional questions.  

Regards,  

Sebastian M   

0 Kudos
jlx78520
Beginner

Hello,

Having exactly same issue. Even when using adapters like DisplayLink (DL-3100) that physically do not rely on hardware and still having same issues, on boot display works, but when driver kicks in display stops working. Will there be any plans to support/fix that?

Thanks, Julius

0 Kudos
VirtualPierogi
Beginner

I came here to confirm the same problem : Amoled 5.5 that has the basic mode set to 1080 x 1920 and 60hz is incorrectly recognised by win 11 minipc LarkBox with uhd 600 while it works flawlessly on other windows machines (and linux arm sbcs for that matter).
The funny thing is while the intel graphics command center seems to corretly detect the display device with the correct mode , buut you cant really do anything with this knowledge.

@Ksanto  can You post the step by step solution to Your problem?

0 Kudos
Ksanto
Novice

Hi VirtualPierogi,

sorry, so much time has passed that I can not remember exactly, but I think it was somehow like this:

You need to uninstall the driver to fall back on the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter to read out the then flawless recognised EDID with "AW EDID Editor". Write them down for later or as I did, make a picture.

Now you need a second display and connect both displays to the PC. Install the latest drivers and Custom Resolution Utility, then make a custom resolution in the "Intel Graphic Controll Panel" for the Display. After that go to "Coustem Resolution Utilety" to delet all standart resolutions and extensionblocks for the mini Display and leave only the costem resolution. At this point I'm not really sure if I have tweaked the values further more.

Hope that helps

Ksanto

0 Kudos
VirtualPierogi
Beginner

Ive got the same exact settings when my oled display is connected to the uhd 600 and its still glitched, so this isnt it.
Intel Graphics Command Center is adamant that this settings for custom resolution is not supported either by the display or the adapter.

Also Could You share the screen of Your Custom Resolution Utility setup with this particular oled ?

0 Kudos
Ksanto
Novice

I'm familiar with this error, I ran into it many times when I did not follow the right order.

You have to make sure that you delete intel software completely every time you start over, maybe you have to delete the registry entries for the EDIDs additionally and make sure to delete everything except the one custom resolution in the Custom Resolution Utility.

I remember that I deleted the wrong resolution many times in my 3-4 attempts to get it right, because i hat to setup the pc 3-4 times to resolve other errors. Last time was at least 2 yars ago. When I rember correctly now,  you could bypass the step with Intel Graphics Command Center completly an only user the Coustem Resolution Utilety, it was only more simple to use it for any reason at some point.

Don't be mad at me, be mad at Intel because they refuse to help us to communicate properly with the manufacturers and because they treat us like we´r in first level support here. 😉

The attached screenshot of my last post are all from the the device set up with the OLED.

Regards

Ksanto

0 Kudos
VirtualPierogi
Beginner

Im not mad at anybody sorry if I came that way.
Im just curious that established cpu and gpu manufacturer fails so hard when confronted with fhd display turned 90 degrees.
Also why it is so hard to make the igpu work when raspberry pi with its poor powervr gpu for ants is working out of the box with this setup.

EDIT:

Ksanto is right the actual settings that are to be set using CRU utility are like this:

--------------   HOR / VERT

Active             :1080/1920

Front porch   :      48/3

Sync width    :      32/10

back porch    :     80/42

sync polarity :       +/-

Refresh rate  :  59.922

And then just set the correct resolution in the display settings.

Thank You intel support for  doing nothing and encouraging mutuality and self organisation among users.

0 Kudos