Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20651 Discussions

Windows 10, multi Monitor, maximized window blank/empty space on top of screen.

SJapa
Novice

We have different Users with a strange behaviour - if they maximize a window tested with IE11, Acrobat, Windows Explorer, google chrome they get an empty or black / white space on top of that window.

Right clicking on the empty or black / white space on top of that window you get the context menu of the desktop. 

It's just when the window is maximized, you can stretch it to "full screen" by hand and its fine too. maximize > problem appears.

Users have dual screens

if the user signs out, and signs back in it works.

if i disconnect the user from the session and they log back in it works.

if i connect to the session with one screen it works.

CTRL+SHIFT+WIN+B and signs back in it works.

Problem occurs with notebook and multi-vendor desktops with ou without offboard video card.

Occurs with HD graphics:

Intel® HD Graphics 630

Intel® HD Graphics 530

Intel® UHD Graphics 620

Problem reported and known by other users:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-terminal-server-2016-multi-monitor/aefbec87-0f5e-4f35-8296-b432d7d7f98b?tm=1538402889026&rtAction=1538550302665

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-pro-missing-title-bar-and-part-of-the/3a16d7d2-a212-42cd-8f57-b9255a4a15e5

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/kztvALbicwE;context-place=forum/chrome

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/white-bar-covering-top-portion-of-windows-explorer/958e89c3-22ea-48d8-aeaf-bac25d11aa94

#TAG:

white bar covering top portion of windows explorer

white bar in top or bottom window when maximized

white bar across top of maximized

white or black bar across top of maximized

1 Solution
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello all, We have not been able to reproduce the issue described on this thread. Our tests were performed on the following hardware: * Intel NUCi7DNKE: Windows 10 (17763) driver 25.20.100.6577 * Lenovo T480: Windows 10 (16299) driver 23.20.16.4901 Steps followed: 1. Clean Windows 10 installation with just Chrome and Outlook 2016. 2. Connected two monitors (Acer B286HK and Acer G257HU). 3. Set both monitors in Extended display via Intel Graphics Control Panel. 4. Launch several instances of File Explorer, Chrome and Outlook 2016. 5. Maximize each window. 6. Minimize each window. 7 Move the windows to the 2nd monitor. 8. Repeated steps 5-6 several times. No issue was observed. Windows are displaying correctly. Some threads are referencing this issue and some users with non-Intel Graphics are also reporting this issue. Examples: https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/8imjva/windows_10_multi_monitor_maximized_window/ https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-pro-missing-title-bar-and-part-of-the/3a16d7d2-a212-42cd-8f57-b9255a4a15e5?page=12 This seems to be an operating system related issue that may be triggered by a particular update. If the issue persists, we recommend reporting this issue to Microsoft*. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
78 Replies
JDemo2
Beginner

Did anyone else come across a permanent fix for this? I have to users with the same setup having the same issue. They are running Dell Optiplex 7050 with dual monitors connected via Display port to the on-board integrated video card which is an Intel UHD 630 graphics. They both the latest driver updates.

0 Kudos
ODick1
Beginner

Morning JDemo2.

We have a case logged with Microsoft regarding this issue.

The last response we've had from Microsoft is the following;

Hello ****,

Trust this email finds you well.

I tried calling on **** but the operator informed that you were occupied on another call.

The latest update we have is that it has been confirmed to be a known issue and is being investigated by the PG team.

We have been informed that this is a long runner and we currently don’t have an ETA on the fix.

As this ticket is already very high aged, it wouldn’t be feasible to keep it open without any active troubleshooting.

In that case, would it be ok, if we temporarily archive this ticket and update you once the fix is available.

Please let me know if this works for you. Also feel free to reach out to me in case you have any further queries.

Thank you.

Meril Thomas

In other words, they know about it - but they don't know what causes it.

Regards,

Oliver.

0 Kudos
JDemo2
Beginner

how long ago did they tell you this?

0 Kudos
ODick1
Beginner

Hello.

That email was dated Wed, Sept 18th.

We've since responded under the advice of our Microsoft Account Manager, to not allow them to close the case until we hear from PG Team that it's completed.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
JDemo2
Beginner

very frustrating. I am about to buy an external video card and try that in the affecting computers.

0 Kudos
CKetc
Beginner

We also have been seeing this with random users over the past probably close to a year now and never figured out what it was. Usually it's just very random and only happens very rarely but we have one particular user who has a ticket opened with us and the guys have swapped her monitors, cables, and now computer for a 2nd time before I googled around and found this thread. They are going to install a video card in the machine to fix but this is just crazy this is still an issue after all this time! Also what are we to do if one of our many laptop only users run into this much trouble with it because it's not like you can install a video card in those, what gives?

0 Kudos
DCimo1
Beginner

Past year, Same issue.

Present on Dell Optiplex 7010, 7070, 7050, 9020. Of our ~120 computers about 15% have had this issue.

All Intel Graphics and Windows 10, different builds above 1709.

Reinstalling Dell provided Video driver will remove issue forever, months, or just a couple weeks.

Hope you guys can get this figured out, disheartening seeing the the Support case closed as it's most definitely still an issue, and the same, unchanged issue.

0 Kudos
ZNyki
Beginner
Witam, Do dnia 13.12.2019 przebywam na urlopie. W sprawach pilnych proszę o kontakt z Wojciechem Rolski wojciech.rolskki@mlsystem.pl. Pozdrawiam, Zbigniew Nykiel
0 Kudos
GKohl5
Beginner

I am having the same problem on several HP 290 PCs with Intel Graphics.

Some have this issue occasionally but one is having this problem many times a day and it is seriously affecting the users work.

I have tried every fix including the 3rd party fix from Quicken. but nothing works.

We fix it temporarily by changing the screen resolution but the issue returns soon after.

Surely Microsoft or Intel can fix this!!!!!!

0 Kudos
TTheo1
Beginner

Please provide a fix for this issue. Ctrl, Shift, Windows Key, B is the work around that does work but is very inconvenient. Dell Latitude 5500 with Intel UHD Graphics Driver 26.20.100.7262 ,A06. Issue happens most often with Chrome and Adobe Acrobat DC 2017. Can't seem to replicate it on command... comes and goes. Customer even swapped out brand new hardware. Old Hardware with same issue Latitude 5400 Intel UHD Graphics Driver Version: 26.20.100.7262 ,A06. Losing faith that this will ever be fixed.

0 Kudos
ODick1
Beginner

Morning Ttheo1.

Just so you're aware, this is a bug with Microsoft's OS it seems and not specific to Intel as I personally first thought.

I actually have a case open with Microsoft on this one and they've confirmed that this is an issue with many.

As you'll read up this thread (I believe, it could be on the Reddit thread); this also affects Nvidia and AMD hardware too.

I would ask you to raise additional cases with Microsoft &/or Technet articles over there to get everyone a faster resolution.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
TTheo1
Beginner

How did your case end with Microsoft?

0 Kudos
PBeck8
Beginner

"I actually have a case open with Microsoft on this one" - That would be very interesting to know!

0 Kudos
JDemo2
Beginner

Yeah, i would appreciate to know this as well. I am still having the issue on brand new Dell Optiplex desktops with Dual Monitors that we are installing. The only workaround i have them doing is the ctrl shit win b thing. For one person a few months back i bought an external video card but that is not feasible for everyone.

0 Kudos
Alan_SIU
Beginner

I'm adding this two cents.  

Installed an old AMD graphics card, and the users that were affected reported no more "white bar".

our workaround had been to resize the display or rescale the display, and change it back.  faster than logging out.

the two most vocal users are on
Dell Optiplex 5070, serial FVMxxxx 
Dell Optiplex 5060, serial G3Mxxxx

Alan

0 Kudos
FrancoisCleroux

We have had this going on for about 2 years now at a Law Firm. They use Mapped Drives. Comes and goes. System cleanups deal with the issue as do other things as noted here but are not fixes. I have re-capped the issues and temp fixes and I think I know what the problem is, or rather the cause. They will need to 'fix' things. Bear with me here.

I will need the community to respond to confirm or deny some facts here.

I work as a Consultant with mostly Dental, Healthcare and Legal companies (Relevant here read on)

So here is the list so far,

1. Only affects people with more than one display. (I concur with this)
  2. Mostly Intel 620 and 630 Video Cards (but others have reported it also includes Nvidia and AMD) (Note that most business use Work PC’s almost always have built-in Intel Video Cards which is why mostly Intel issues reported)
  3. Seems to affect FULL SCREEN Apps. (“When the problem occurs it is always on a full screen application, if you ‘restore down’ (SHFT-WIN-DownArrow) the Application Windows is fine. If you then ‘maximize’ the window, the problem returns.” Also, “Moving the bad app to the other screen (SHFT-WIN-Left/RightArrow) the application is OK, move the Window back to the original screen and the problem re-appears.”)
  4. Adding a discreet Video card usually works (but some reports of it not working) (QUESTION: What Video Cards work and don’t work if you add a card??)
  5. Suggestions that it happens using Mapped Network Shares (The law firm uses Network shares)
  6. Suggestions that Outlook 2016 causes issues, and not Office 365 (Office 365 downloads are also affected as they are Office 2016)
  7. Suggestions that it can happen in Windows Picture Viewer.  (Cant confirm)
  8. Suggestions that a “Quicken Fix” may fix the problem are false and most users do not use or have Quickbooks. The Law firm does not have Quickbooks.
  9. At the Law firm, it has always happened in a Browser except for this week a user was experiencing the issue looking at a FAX from the Mapped Data Drive. It opens as an Adobe PDF.
  10. Interestingly, the law firm very often opens PDF files from websites. Its what they do for conveyancing and for other record management stuff including Provincial Federal and Legal sites.
  11. We have re-installed Java on the machines to see if a possible JAVA issue is present.

So with a partner, we were trying to identify a 'cause'. Why was this happening here and NOT at other clients? I have other Legal Firms it does not happen with? And many other clients (about 400 computers in all where it does not happen). What's the difference.

Three things:

1) The other Legal Firms use single Monitors. We knew that but verified this fact.

2) This particular Firm Had Java Un-Installed from their Systems. As Oracle changed the licensing, we removed Java standalone. We thought that maybe the problem as MANY sites use Java and we wondered if a Java Trigger was causing the issue. We have re-installed on 2 PCs and will report if this fixes things but read on...

3) Suggestions that Adobe Acrobat Standard 2017 was the culprit

Interesting. Most of my other clients do NOT use Adobe Acrobat and the few that do use Acrobat do not use multiple monitors! Note also that the law firm is using Adobe Acrobat Pro 2017.

The only time we have experienced issues are various Web Browsers that access sites that serve PDF's and in one case a FAX PDF Document on a Network Share Mapped Drive. These all default to open in Acrobat Pro 2017.

Can members here please confirm if the affected systems they have are using Acrobat? IF so, what versions?

Everything I was able to find on this subject has been Intel and Microsoft Forums. If the issue is with Adobe, this would explain why no fixes have come from Intel or Microsoft. Has anyone seen anything I may have missed on an Adobe Forum??

Can I please get some replies to my bold text questions? Any comments or suggestions welcome. Bonus point for an actual fix!

Thanks.

0 Kudos