Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20500 Discussions

Windows 10 updates repeatedly fail because driver package k18647a.inf fails to install. The package appears to be Intel Graphics Control Panel. How to fix?

WOBri
Novice

Dell XPS 13 with Intel HD Graphics 620. All drivers reported as up to date. But Windows feature updates always fail, and I have identified failure to install driver package k18647a.inf as the apparent cause. Any suggestions

16 Replies
AlHill
Super User

What version of Windows 10 are you running? 1903? 1809? 1803? Other?

Are you using the driver provided by Dell? Do you have dual graphics?

What is your processor model number?

Doc

0 Kudos
WOBri
Novice

1709, unable to update since, using Dell driver, processor i7-7500U

William

0 Kudos
WOBri
Novice

Graphics are simply Intel HD Graphics 620 - it's a small laptop

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Which dell driver is prohibiting your update to 1903? 1709 is no longer supported.

Now, I need to say this - you should use only the drivers provided by Dell for your laptop.

If you do choose to use the Intel generic driver, you may loose some customization dell has made to the driver.

Here, you can find the standard and DCH drivers.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/95451/intel-core-i7-7500u-processor-4m-cache-up-to-3-50-ghz

I would upgrade to 1903: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Then, I would use the DCH driver from my first link.

Also, before you do this, do you have dual graphics? Do you have a backup of your data?

Doc

0 Kudos
WOBri
Novice

The update to 1903 fails with error 0x800700002 - 0x20007 ...failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during INSTALL_DRIVERS operation. Examining the setupact.log indicates that the error relates to the driver package k18647a.inf, There is a folder by this name which contains Intel graphics control panel files: I wonder if they might be legacy/redundant? I have only installed Dell drivers, and Dell update reports that all drivers are up to date. I cannot update to 1903 because the process fails with the same error message every time. I am unclear when you ask about dual graphics. I run dual external monitors, connected to a Dell TB16 Thunderbolt dock (model K16A), which in turn connects to the laptop via USB-C.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Remove the thunderbolt dock, and remove any usb devices (except mouse and keyboard).

Doc

0 Kudos
WOBri
Novice

Tried that - several times.: makes no difference. Is there any way of safely removing the driver package that seems to be blocking updates? Could it comprise superceded files that weren't propery removed when an update was applied? As the offending files appear to relate to the Intel Graphics control panel, which I don't use, is there any way I can remove that element and related files?

0 Kudos
WOBri
Novice

When I check the properties of the HD 620 driver, it lists a load of driver files in a folder named k12371.inf... . The same files (more or less), but older versions, appear in the K18647a folder that is causing the windows update failure. It therefore seems likely that windows update is trying to load older HD620 graphics driver files in addition to the current ones, and this is causing the updates to fail. How to fully remove the old files? I could delete the folder containig them (C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\k18647a.inf_amd64_d30e8907e2541ff2), and perhaps search the registry for any references to this folder and delete them? Would I need to do anythig else? Any safer alternative?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Ok, something is hosed on your system.

Back up your data, and then "Reset This PC". This should correct whatever discrepancies there are. Once the PC is reset, then try the upgrade, but do not mess with any INF files or drivers.

Doc

0 Kudos
WOBri
Novice

Yikes. Reset would require me to reinstall all my apps and customised settings - from past experience, at least two to three days work: I use a lot of complex software. Surely there must be a less destructive solution?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

No, you can choose to keep your apps and data.

Now, if you want another solution, do not keep messing with INF files. There is no need for you do do this. I suspect you have something tangled up and that is what is causing the problem.

You can try to completely remove the graphics driver.

First, download and save the most current driver for your graphics (DCH or Standard)

Disconnect from the net (turn off wifi or unplug LAN)

Go to the device manager.

Select the display adapter, and UNINSTALL (selecting the checkbox to delete the driver software).

Keep doing the above Uninstall (and required restarts) until you get to the Microsoft Basic display adapter.

Then, install the driver you downloaded and saved.

Then, reconnect to the net.

Now, there SHOULD be no problems with your graphics driver.

Then, from an elevated command prompt (or windows powershell admin), run SFC /scannow

Then, try to upgrade to w10 1903 from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Doc

0 Kudos
WOBri
Novice

Hmm. I tried your suggestion of uninstalling the display driver back to basic and reinstalling the latest version. Sadly, Windows Update failed with exactly the same error message. Do you think a repair upgrade might have a better chance of success?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Personally, I would back up my data and clean install the laptop with 1903.

Doc

0 Kudos
WOBri
Novice

OK, noted. I'll think about it. Many thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
WOBri
Novice

I REALLY didn't want to set up my system from scratch, so ensured I had current backups and a restore point, and jumped through the necessary hoops to take control of the files in Driverstore\FileRespository, then deleted all the files in the folder that seemed to be causing my problem (and the folder itself). Held my breath and ran the update to 1903, which at long last completed successfully. I have to say "Don't try this at home", but for the record, it worked.

0 Kudos
Abigail_G_Intel
Employee

Hello WOBri,

Thank you for sharing the steps that you have performed with the community, we appreciate it. I hope this information is helpful for other community members.  

I will close this inquiry now. If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Best Regards, 

Abigail G 

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation. 

0 Kudos