Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20499 Discussions

Windows 2004 Feature Update Breaks 3D Display Behaviour

Krobaruk
Beginner

I am using the following hardware:
Intel I3-8300S / Intel 620 Graphics
Samsung 3D TV connected to a passive Displayport to HDMI converter (Ie. No LSPCON)

Before the 2004 update I had "3D display mode" switched on and it worked perfectly. The desktop and normal apps would just use 2D mode and 3D enabled applications would cause the TV to switch to 3D mode and you could then put on the active 3D glasses.

After the 2004 update the behaviour is problematic. Enabling 3D display mode immediately causes the TV to switch to 3D mode all of the time and I cannot get it to go to 2D mode as it is being signalled to use 3D over HDMI all of the time. It is far too bright and colours are completely wrong if not using 3D glasses but like most people I only want 3D mode when using for example a 3D video.

With the older Windows 10 version which worked properly I was using Intel DCH Driver 27.20.100.8476. I also tried the newest stable driver (27.20.100.8587) and the newest beta (27.20.100.8673) with the 2004 update but the behaviour was exactly the same.

How can I fix 3D behaviour in version 2004?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Krobaruk, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following (using your original 3D setup): 

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report generated:  

• Open the application, check the "Everything" box, and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".   
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".   
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".   
  • Use the option under the reply window to attach the report to the thread (Drag and drop here or browse files to attach).  

2. Provide the Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers, follow this link. Additionally, can you provide the brand and model number of the adapter you are using from DP-HDMI?  

3. This issue seems to be related to the Operating System (OS) and not Intel® graphics, have you reported this to Microsoft* already? Have you tried rolling back to the previous OS version and see if the issue persists? If that is the case, you should check with Microsoft* for further help on this. 

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Krobaruk
Beginner

Thank you for the response.

1) SSU output file attached.

2) The display port adapter is a Pluagable DPM-HDMIF. This is a passive adapter and the output port is running in native HDMI 1.4 mode (No LSPCON).

3)

Yes, I have also tried to ask Microsoft here:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-2004-update-breaks-3d-display-behaviour/5d316199-e5a8-41dd-9914-9f39fc761262

Rolling back from Windows 10 2004 to Windows 10 1907 does fix the issue (As expected). However I'm sure you understand that this is not a suitable long term fix.

I can't tell if this is an Intel driver issue or a Microsoft issue. How do you know which it is?

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Krobaruk, 

Thank you for your reply. 

Please check the following recommendations: 

• Keep in mind that 3D over DisplayPort is not plan of record for Intel, it will work for only on HDMI 1.4, so we can check how the driver sees your connection, can you please provide Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers? Follow this link
  • The graphics driver will hand over OS for 3D functionality, that is the reason why the same driver works with one OS version and stopped working with a new one. 
  • Our recommendation would be reporting this to Microsoft* directly and keep working with them. 
  • Also, you can try connecting the system to the monitor using a straight HDMI-HDMI 1.4 connection (no adapters). 

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Krobaruk
Beginner

Thanks again.

I have rolled back to Windows 10 1907 so cannot collect the Intel Command Center report. The receiver the PC is connected to confirms it is running in HDMI 1.4 mode. 

I cannot use the native HDMI port on this motherboard because the native HDMI port has an LSPCON and always negotiates HDMI 2.0 mode which as you have already explained does not work with 3D (I have tried this in the past and 3D will not work with the native port).

Out of interest do the newer Intel chips which have native HDMI 2.0 support which does not require an LSPCON (eg. Tiger Lake) work with 3D using HDMI 2.0?

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello Krobaruk,  

Unreleased product's information is not available yet, so we cannot confirm if they will support HDMI 2.0 natively or not. However, I would like to clarify that even though the CPU can bring those features, they might be limited by the manufacturer (OEM) design, it will depend on OEM and system components if they use a native HDMI port or LSPCON. 

Based on what you reported, a good testing could be trying a fresh reinstallation of the OS using the working previous build, meaning that you will reinstall the OS to the previous working Windows build before making the upgrade to 2004. 

You can check with Microsoft* for the recommendations to reinstall the OS from scratch: 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4000735/windows-10-reinstall 

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel or any of its products is implied.  

0 Kudos
Krobaruk
Beginner

I don't understand. Rolling back to the previous 1907 version fixed it why would I want to install 1907 again?

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Krobaruk,  

Thank you for the clarification, I do apologize as I misunderstood your post and for some reason I thought you said that rolling back to the previous OS version did not fix the issue. 

In that case since we were able to confirm that indeed the 2004 version causses this problem, you will need to keep checking with Microsoft for a workaround as we recommended before, for now, you can keep using the 1709 version. 

Based on that, we will proceed to close this inquiry from our side. If you have any additional question, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos