Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20603 Discussions

Windows 7 to 10 upgrade fails due to Intel HD Graphics

dhork
Beginner

Have attempted numerous times to upgrade a Dell XPS8700 w/Intel core i5-3470 CPU & Intel graphics on mobo FROM Win 7 TO Win 10 May Update and continue to receive "this PC cannot be upgraded to Win 10" with cause as Intel HD Graphics and error code 8024402c or 80070057. Video driver ver is 10.18.10.5059 I've used different types of upgrade methods including ISO and installed media. Suggestions as to where I go from here? THX!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Are you running Windows 7 32-bit? If so, there is no driver for your ivy Bridge processor on Windows 10 32-bit.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006105/processors.html

Doc

0 Kudos
dhork
Beginner

Just checked and this machine is 64 bit. Thanks for your reply.

{;-D

0 Kudos
dhork
Beginner

i5-3470 Ivy Bridge supports Win 10 64b

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

By upgrade, do you mean clean install or upgrade in place? If clean install check footnote #1:

"1 Upgrade only: If you bought a system that came with Windows 7*, Windows 8*, or Windows 8.1*, refer to your original equipment manufacturer (OEM) about upgrading to Windows® 10."

Doc

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Yes, it does. But, are you doing an in place upgrade or clean install?

Doc

0 Kudos
dhork
Beginner

win_10_setup-Failed.jpg

0 Kudos
dhork
Beginner

Upgrade in place

0 Kudos
dhork
Beginner

Also, on this attempt I didn't receive the Intel HD Graphics error.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

What version of Windows 10 are you using for the upgrade? 1903?

You may want to try using the Microsoft link to do your upgrade: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Doc

0 Kudos
dhork
Beginner

Mr. Hill, thank you very much for your replies. Yes. 1903 (which I've read is being very problematic). And yes, I've been using the link you suggested, but, I will try it once again just for sh*ts & grins. It's certainly worth my time. Another thing, I just might have to break down and do is, instead of an upgrade in place, do a fresh install. I have the luxury of being able to get to the Win 7 profile on a seperate machine. I'm just trying to keep from having to do a fresh Win 10 install on a new machine and migrating the Win7 profile along with reloading software onto the new machine. My attempt at saving time has totally bombed.

0 Kudos