Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20949 Discussions

Windows* 8.1 Driver (32 & 64 bit) - Version 3316

NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

Greetings everyone!

We have officially launched our latest driver supporting 3rd and 4th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® HD/Iris™ Graphics for Microsoft* Windows 8.1. The version is 3316 and is available at the following locations.

32-bit: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23324&lang=eng Download Center - Release notes http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23324/eng/ReleaseNotes_GFX_3316_32.pdf here.

64-bit: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23323&lang=eng Download Center - Release notes http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23323/eng/ReleaseNotes_GFX_3316_64.pdf here.

Also; http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033838.htm Windows* 8/8.1 Graphics FAQ.

Since this is our first official driver to support Windows* 8.1 - we are very excited to hear your constructive feedback. We have a good track record with these feedback pages in the past though So feel free to continue contributing any/all constructive feedback here. Additionally, if there are issues that carried over from previous drivers that you are still experiencing, feel free to announce them again here.

I ask that you preface the feedback with a bolded heading so that it will be easier to identify, example: Control Panel: It would be cool if X was added. BUG: This application is now crashing and it didn't with the last driver!

I also ask that you keep focused on this specific driver. Any off-topic/off-driver/off-product comments will be promptly deleted! If you have any issues with installing the driver, or are unable to get to the driver download pages linked above, please submit those comments in an original thread. Also, please do not message me directly about issues with the driver, keep them in this thread - I will check it daily.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-INFORMATION WE ARE COLLECTING-

EDIT: We are currently collecting the following information. For both users who have already posted here, as well as users who are going to post here, please provide the following information:

* Which error are you having? Code 43 or 31 (Other)?

* Do you have a 3rd party graphics card in your system? (aka Discrete Card, Add-On Graphics Card)

* If so, what is the make/model of that card?

* If so, what driver do you have installed for that card?

* What is the make/model of your system? (full model name please)

EDIT:

I've got a specific data call for users who meet all of the following criteria;

• Do not have a 3rd party graphics card installed in their system
  • Are experiencing either Code 31, Code 43, black screens
  • Have driver 3316 installed on Windows* 8.1

The data request is as such; We need to collect the complete 'System Driver' information from your system for investigation purposes. In order to provide us a copy of this information, follow these steps.

1. Start -> Run -> msinfo32
  2. Expand the 'Software Environment' section
  3. Select 'System Drivers'
  4. File -> Export -> Give the file a name
  5. Attach the file to a response here

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you very much!

-Nic

0 Kudos
491 Replies
JBrec
Novice

colargol wrote:

Hi Linflas,

Interesting information, which could explain why both have problems to work! I have now been troubleshooting for almost a week and still cannot get it working. AMD suspected the latest "verified driver" to work but it cannot fully install properly (AMD suspected a NET Framework problem, which after verification seems not to be the case). Could you share more information about your findings?

In post # 94 a member discusses his fix regarding the AMD graphics cards, he is using the last "verified" driver from AMD, he doe not say which version, I am assuming the 8.1 driver that pops up on AMD's site, dated in Sept. sometime, I have been using their beta drivers, have not tried that fix myself. Will not have time to test anything myself until Sunday night.

AS to nvidia, I have seen numerous posts regarding their hardware in this thread as well, so assuming they are having the same issue, where e discrete gpu drivers are somehow causing intels to fail.

I

0 Kudos
NSpla
Beginner

Yes the beta drivers I tried were version 13.11, and the latest stable drivers are 13.9. To shorten what I said previously, beta amd drivers killed my integrated hd 4000, and to fix this, I uninstalled the beta, installed release amd drivers, restarted, uninstalled and deleted drivers for intel hd 4000, restarted, ran windows update and installed the optional update for intel's display drivers, and restarted, I was good to go again. Also, I noticed Windows Update has an update available for Advanced Micro Devices, I have hidden this update since it KILLED performance in games after I installed it. I am curious for everyone else who has similar setups as I do ( that is, amd cards with integrated intel hd 4000, driving monitors from both) will achieve a solution by uninstalling their AMD drivers (COMPLETELY) then installing 13.9 amd drivers, and NOT using the windows update that seems to appear. If anyone has the same specs and problems as I do, you may want to try uninstalling drivers for both integrated and dedicated, installing latest release amd drivers, restarting, uninstalling and deleting drivers for intel hd 4000, restarting, checking for updates and using the driver in windows update (under optional typically), restarting, and seeing your displays are now functional again

0 Kudos
JBrec
Novice

I am at work right now (work nights) I could probably remote in and change my drivers, but I have moved all my monitors to my AMD cards, so I cannot really test this. I will on sunday, or if someone else on the forum has a similar setup they can try and verify.

thanks for posting version numbers for us, gives us a much better line to test from.

Too bad they are 13.9's so no xfire profile for Rome 2 and no improvements like the 13.11 provided. If this works, I will probably stick to the solution I have at the moment, where I have my 3 monitors plugged into my 7950's. However it would be great to start narrowing down where this problem lies so the folks who get paid to make this stuff work, can get to fixing it.

OH, BTW, that is a damn fine overclock on that i5 you had, I have a z77 MSI g45 gaming, and 4.5 is a as far as I have been able to get mine, no post on anything higher, have tried and tried. Well done.

0 Kudos
NSpla
Beginner

Haha I should have known better to have stated version numbers ogirinally, I do QA for a living although I wouldn't mind moving to Intel with my setups to test more diverse scenarios! Heh, yeah I manage to keep her at 33 Celsius idle, and 60 Celsius during a 12 hour burn in.

I have been poking around the internet all day, it seems that I am the only one who has tried to do what I've done, so I guess we will have to see if someone else here can in the meantime.

Bit of advice, too, depending on your remote desktop software you use, for me, I needed to kill my session anytime during a driver change. I would hit install and race for the kill session button, wait a few minutes, then come back in and reboot. Sometimes, as I've seen with TeamViewer and LogMeIn, they don't handle display's gettin funky very well, and end up freezing (or as I've seen VERY FREQUENTLY with TeamViewer, BSOD'ing)

0 Kudos
JBrec
Novice

I use splashtop streamer for my ipad, and android phone to remote in to my pc, it allows for gesture based actions, so interfaces really well with windows 8 on touch pad devices.

thanks again for the clarification.

0 Kudos
PLe_F
Novice

Thanks Linflas, I thought you had received information from AMD or INTEL but agree there is something to dig around! Right now we have three machines parked due to this problem and I understood many are in the same situation. We have already spent more than 60 hours trying to debug and a bit stress because, whatever we do, we don't see any improvement. Wishing AMD, INTEL and Microsoft bring a satisfying patch to get our machines to operate as they used to do under 8!

0 Kudos
tc1
Beginner

DrNict61 wrote:

Yes the beta drivers I tried were version 13.11, and the latest stable drivers are 13.9. To shorten what I said previously, beta amd drivers killed my integrated hd 4000, and to fix this, I uninstalled the beta, installed release amd drivers, restarted, uninstalled and deleted drivers for intel hd 4000, restarted, ran windows update and installed the optional update for intel's display drivers, and restarted, I was good to go again. Also, I noticed Windows Update has an update available for Advanced Micro Devices, I have hidden this update since it KILLED performance in games after I installed it. I am curious for everyone else who has similar setups as I do ( that is, amd cards with integrated intel hd 4000, driving monitors from both) will achieve a solution by uninstalling their AMD drivers (COMPLETELY) then installing 13.9 amd drivers, and NOT using the windows update that seems to appear. If anyone has the same specs and problems as I do, you may want to try uninstalling drivers for both integrated and dedicated, installing latest release amd drivers, restarting, uninstalling and deleting drivers for intel hd 4000, restarting, checking for updates and using the driver in windows update (under optional typically), restarting, and seeing your displays are now functional again

Well, if it's the AMD beta drivers that are to blame, your fix is specific to Intel gfx 4000 and/or your configuration because this fix doesn't work for me. I have used the beta drivers on my HD 7850/i5 3450 combination and the 13.9 drivers and they both give me the code 31 warning; at most, after the second reboot. Things seem to be fine after the first reboot with device manager looking tidy and normal. But, although no errors are reported, functionality is non-existent. Quicksync, the feature I'm really after, will not work until the igp is properly detected. A second reboot confirms, inevitably, that there is a problem. I've tried rebooting with a display connected to the intel IGP (hdmi) and get as far as windows logon where it seems to be detected briefly before being unceremoniously disabled somewhere along the log on sequence.

Anyway, I hope there is a fix soon!

0 Kudos
Xenon2000
New Contributor I

IntellieTony wrote:

DrNict61 wrote:

Well, if it's the AMD beta drivers that are to blame, your fix is specific to Intel gfx 4000 and/or your configuration because this fix doesn't work for me. I have used the beta drivers on my HD 7850/i5 3450 combination and the 13.9 drivers and they both give me the code 31 warning; at most, after the second reboot. Things seem to be fine after the first reboot with device manager looking tidy and normal. But, although no errors are reported, functionality is non-existent. Quicksync, the feature I'm really after, will not work until the igp is properly detected. A second reboot confirms, inevitably, that there is a problem. I've tried rebooting with a display connected to the intel IGP (hdmi) and get as far as windows logon where it seems to be detected briefly before being unceremoniously disabled somewhere along the log on sequence.

Anyway, I hope there is a fix soon!

I have a similar setup as you and have the exact same issue. I have a Gigabyte Z77 board with i7-3770K and the AMD 7850 using the AMD 13.9 driver. And have the code 31. I have never tried the beta 13.11 driver. But I have the same issue as you where the first time I install the Intel drivers and reboot, device manager says everything is ok. Even though I still didn't have working HDMI, but after another reboot the device manager says it's not working.

Seems Intel should easily be able to get a Z77 MB, a 3rd Gen CPU, and an AMD 7000 series card to reproduce this issue. Heck, the average person can get that system, so Intel just needs to get one asap and start testing since that should reproduce the issue for them. And replicating the issue seems to be the problem for Intel right now.

0 Kudos
JBrec
Novice

I have a similar setup as you and have the exact same issue. I have a Gigabyte Z77 board with i7-3770K and the AMD 7850 using the AMD 13.9 driver. And have the code 31. I have never tried the beta 13.11 driver. But I have the same issue as you where the first time I install the Intel drivers and reboot, device manager says everything is ok. Even though I still didn't have working HDMI, but after another reboot the device manager says it's not working.

Seems Intel should easily be able to get a Z77 MB, a 3rd Gen CPU, and an AMD 7000 series card to reproduce this issue. Heck, the average person can get that system, so Intel just needs to get one asap and start testing since that should reproduce the issue for them. And replicating the issue seems to be the problem for Intel right now.

My experience with that issue is on the first boot the driver does not initialize, if you look in device manager at the driver, it says you must restart for settings to take effect. I am not sure why it requires the second boot to initialize, and ultimately fail.

I am disappointed that the 13.9 drivers are not a fix. Did you guys use the AMD uninstall utility or driver sweeper to clean all the AMD registry and directory settings? Go back to the basic display driver, uninstall and clean out the intel drivers, and started fresh?

I will try it myself on Sunday, and report back as well. I keep the OS on an Intel (irony) SSD drive, and all my other stuff on other drives, so OS installations are not to bad for me, an old habit from many years of overclocking. I may rebuild a new ISO from the windows store and give it one more shot before my Haswell I7 gets here Monday.

Wife has some chores for me, these days off, so see how much free time I want to dedicate to this frustrating problem of ours.

0 Kudos
entilza
New Contributor I

Linflas wrote:

I was planning an upgrade, and decided to do my Holiday a bit early, so have an I7 4770K and an Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard coming on Monday. I will do a clean install then, will download and build a fresh ISO from windows store on Sunday night and start over. Will leave the AMD 7950's out until I get boot and Intel drivers placed, and see if it works fine. Then put my cards back in and go from there.

nic, I will p.m. You a link to download the ISO.

Linflas, this is the only way to debug it, goodluck and let us know how it works. It seems very driver related or the order in which the drivers were intalled/updated by 8.1. Perhaps somehow the registry was corrupted during the 8.1 update and doing it fresh may resolve it. Maybe you can create restore points along the way so you can backstep without having reinstall windows. Anyway look forward to your tests, as I'm sure many others.

0 Kudos
Xenon2000
New Contributor I

entilza wrote:

Linflas wrote:

I was planning an upgrade, and decided to do my Holiday a bit early, so have an I7 4770K and an Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard coming on Monday. I will do a clean install then, will download and build a fresh ISO from windows store on Sunday night and start over. Will leave the AMD 7950's out until I get boot and Intel drivers placed, and see if it works fine. Then put my cards back in and go from there.

nic, I will p.m. You a link to download the ISO.

Linflas, this is the only way to debug it, goodluck and let us know how it works. It seems very driver related or the order in which the drivers were intalled/updated by 8.1. Perhaps somehow the registry was corrupted during the 8.1 update and doing it fresh may resolve it. Maybe you can create restore points along the way so you can backstep without having reinstall windows. Anyway look forward to your tests, as I'm sure many others.

The final fix will be when Intel releases drivers that the user simply just runs the setup.exe, reboots, and everything works. Anything else is just a work around. I fully expect a newer driver instead of just trying to make 3316 work. While certain symptoms may be unique to have an AMD card in the mix, there are still issues with 3316 that affect Nvidia users and IGP intel-only users. So I still expect a newer driver from Intel.

0 Kudos
entilza
New Contributor I

Shawn Lyman wrote:

The final fix will be when Intel releases drivers that the user simply just runs the setup.exe, reboots, and everything works. Anything else is just a work around. I fully expect a newer driver instead of just trying to make 3316 work. While certain symptoms may be unique to have an AMD card in the mix, there are still issues with 3316 that affect Nvidia users and IGP intel-only users. So I still expect a newer driver from Intel.

In an ideal world of course that would be the solution, but given this very unique windows 8.1 "Update" it seems to be a much more complicated update than any other I've seen before. Unless it's 100% reproducable by every hd4000 + processor it will not be resolved that easily. If we take for a moment all the PC's out there that are now on 8.1 it can't be limited to the 10-20 active people on this forum.

It seems the users have to now take this into their own hands to debug/resolve.

0 Kudos
Xenon2000
New Contributor I

entilza wrote:

Shawn Lyman wrote:

In an ideal world of course that would be the solution, but given this very unique windows 8.1 "Update" it seems to be a much more complicated update than any other I've seen before. Unless it's 100% reproducable by every hd4000 + processor it will not be resolved that easily. If we take for a moment all the PC's out there that are now on 8.1 it can't be limited to the 10-20 active people on this forum.

It seems the users have to now take this into their own hands to debug/resolve.

Ideal world? I didn't make it up. The "solution" of just running setup.exe has been the proper solution and reality for years for the majority of users. Including myself and including the HD 4000. Simply running setup.exe has been the solution with the HD 4000 on my system with Windows 7 and with 8. If all of a sudden Intel can't achieve the same level of quality for Windows 8.1, then Intel needs to hire new developers because that is not acceptable. There is nothing unusual about my system and millions of people have/will do the Windows Store update to 8.1 from 8. In this thread, we are only seeing a small subset of the people with this issue. And then there is likely a large number of users that don't even know they have the issue because they are only using their dedicated GPU and not trying to use Virtu or QuickSync. Matter of fact, I didn't even know I had the issue until I tried to use my TV for a movie which was connected to the HD 4000.

I still think Intel should be working to reproduce the issue and go from there. So far Intel doesn't seem to be taking that crucial step seriously. Especially since it wouldn't take much money or effort to built 2 or 3 systems similar to the specs listed in this thread. As far as desktops are concerned.

0 Kudos
entilza
New Contributor I

I agree, on all counts,

The issue is while Intel sits back do we do nothing or attempt to debug ourselves. I can't experiment on my bosses machine because it's remote and I can't risk having his machine down. Otherwise I would have had this analysed by now. I look forward to Linflas's test because it should shed a lot of light as to where the problem is.

There were a lot of different scenarios in this thread, not all of which were just the error 31 so it would be best for intel to take all 3 major scenarios and do some serious debugging / testing as well. It looks like Linflas will be able to test the error # 31 scenario fully shortly.

0 Kudos
Xenon2000
New Contributor I

entilza wrote:

I agree, on all counts,

The issue is while Intel sits back do we do nothing or attempt to debug ourselves. I can't experiment on my bosses machine because it's remote and I can't risk having his machine down. Otherwise I would have had this analysed by now. I look forward to Linflas's test because it should shed a lot of light as to where the problem is.

There were a lot of different scenarios in this thread, not all of which were just the error 31 so it would be best for intel to take all 3 major scenarios and do some serious debugging / testing as well. It looks like Linflas will be able to test the error # 31 scenario fully shortly.

I certainly don't want everyone to sit back and do nothing. I really wish I could help more with the diag process. I only have Two systems with Windows 8.1, the rest are all Windows 7. And even if I wanted to pay a ridiculous price to upgrade to 8.1, none of them are i series CPUs and certainly nothing with Intel HD series video. So it likely wouldn't help much. My other PC that has Window 8.1, started as XP, went to Windows 7, then 8, then 8.1; it is an old Intel Bad Axe 1 system with Pentium D 3.6 Ghz cpu. With an Nvidia 8600 GT. Still does well enough for some gaming which I let the kids use. And it works fine with Windows 8.1. Of course it dosen't have an Intel HD series IGP which is the issue here.

During the holiday's this year, I do plan on buying a new laptop which will have Intel's IGP as well as an Nvidia GPU for switchable graphics. It will also already come with 8.1 installed. So I would expect it to be working out of the box. Possibly with older drivers than 3316, so it will be interesting to see if a new driver comes out and if it will update without issues at that time. But that is likely 6 to 10 weeks from now for me.

I was also planning on changing my AMD 7870 to an Nvidia GTX 770. But I am going to wait until this issue is fixed. Too busy for the next few weeks and also waiting for the holiday sales for the 770.

To Intel, any word on if you are taking steps to reproduce our symptoms? Is there any other diag info we can supply that doesn't involve reinstalling windows?

0 Kudos
PLe_F
Novice

Hi Nic,

Has many I cannot afford to restore my machines back to native 8, which seems to be the case of many others. The track that something conflicting between Intel and AMD sounds a good track because on my HP Pavilion 15-e030so that is the only problem I have. I have now spent hours with HP support and whatever we tested we get the same result: Black screen blinking when Intel driver enable, impossibility to properly install AMD latest verified driver and for sure no possibility to use external screen - Wishing you guys can work with AMD and others to bring us a quick solution to our problems!

0 Kudos
CStoc3
Beginner

Hi,

after having read all this and been waiting for an update, I would like to state the following:

I also did perform the 8.1 update on my Acer V3-571G (Intel HD4000 and Nvidia GT640M), windows installed the 3316 driver itself = slow booting, black screen flickering.

I then installed the 3316 driver from intel-website = same situation.

Acer has the 3304 driver on their site, however I did not try this up to now.

The problem is - as far as I think - that 8.1 has altered the behavior of multiple GPUs (win8 = driver choosed and manages / 8.1 = operating system chooses and manages). I think the new 8.1 drivers from intel do not function right, because it shows strange behaviors and can´t be stored in the cache for fast boot in win8.1.

Why do I think so: I also have a Acer E1-571 with only a Intel HD3000 and much inferior hardware. Also updating to 8.1, however the old driver 9.17.10.2932 works perfectly and (!!!) win 8.1 is booting in 2-3 seconds to Desktop. With my Quadcorce + 8 GB RAM + Intel HD 4000 with the new 3316 driver it takes 10-15 seconds with many black screens.....

I think the new driver is not working correclty with 8.1 and the new driver model WDDM 1.3. Maybe also MS has to do something with win 8.1 to bring a solution.

But for now, this is not in all the performance intel should offer....

Hoping for a new driver soon!

0 Kudos
CStoc3
Beginner

Just downgraded from 3316 (windows update / Intel Website) to the Acer version 10.18.10.3304. Windows boots slightly faster than with 3316, but no comparison to the older drivers and win 8.0!

Has someone tried win 8.1 with an old driver like 9.17.10.2867? Maybe this helps...

0 Kudos
rrex
Beginner

After many blue screens, finally 9.18.10.3257 at least does not crash computer. Still, trying to skype call crashes skype, trying to preview photo gives COM Surrogate error. It seems to me like it's graphics driver is involved in that.

Waiting for new driver, that will repair that.

0 Kudos
CStoc3
Beginner

now testing on my 2nd laptop with only the HD3000 and driver 9.17.10.2932. Boots win 8.1 as fast as win 8 and is much more responsive than my HD4000 with driver 3304 or 3316 on my high end laptop....

There must be something wrong with the 10.x drivers. Can someone confirm, that downgrading to 9.17.10.2932 or older ist much faster in terms of booting and logging in in win8.1? a friend of mine comfirms the problems on his HD4000 with the new win8.1 driver!

0 Kudos
GCamo
Beginner

My case is kind of weird. With just the Intel driver installed system works fine, but if I install Nvidia's I got black screen. BUT, if I restart the laptop on black screen, the system boots normally, I can even check the two drivers working on Device Meneger. No Intel driver works together with Nvidia's (nor 9.x or 10.x). But if I let just Intel, not matter what version the driver is, without Nvidia's, all works fine. AND if I install the Nvidia driver and let Intel's on Microsoft Basic Video Adapter (2006), I got no black screen, but with resolution all messed up.

0 Kudos