Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

Windows 8.1 Drivers for Intel HD Graphics 4000

CDe_T
Novice

Hello,

I just upgraded to Windows 8.1 today and I'm running into some issues. When I run GTA 4 (haven't tested any other games to be frank) - which ran fine before the update - it crashes after a while with a BSOD. The error message being:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (igdkmd64.sys)

This query in Google has led me to the information that the HD Graphics driver is crashing. The next thing I did was installhttps://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?lang=eng&DwnldID=23106 the latest HD Graphics drivers. This has not yet fixed the issue.

What I just noticed while writing this is that Hardware Info 64 does not recognize my Nvidia GPU. This could mean that GTA 4 is running on the HD Graphics GPU? So at this moment I'm reinstalling my Nvidia drivers.

So I reinstalled (clean install) the Nvidia drivers. I ran GTA4 which ran for a little while longer, but still throws a BSOD after a while.

In any case, this should ne be happening, right?

System:

Asus n56vz (notebook)

CPU: Intel Core i7-3615QE (including Intel HD Graphics 4000 (Ivy Bridge GT2))

GPU: GeFore GTX 650M

Chipset: Intel HM76 (Panther Point)

Memory: 8192 MB DDR3

129 Replies
CB5
Beginner

I had the same problem with iTunes, and searching the web resulted in me finding an MS answers article. I can't find the link to said article right now, but I had to copy:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support\QTMovieWin.dll

to

C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\

and that resolved the problem with iTunes crashing everytime you visit the store.

I haven't explicitly had a crash with the intel drivers that install with the Win 8.1 update (on my Asus N56VZ), but they do seem to cause random glitches for me. So desperately looking for updated drivers. For some reason the ones that install as part of the upgrade for me are version: 10.18.10.3308 which seem a bit older than the current ver 16.xx.xx ones that seem listed on the site?!

Tried to download the drivers listed here (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23323&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%208.1%2C%2064-bit*&DownloadType=Drivers Download Center) but they say they are not compatible with my machine, even though I definitely have a 3rd gen intel core i7 with HD graphics 4000 on board. They seem to definitely be more up to date than the ones currently installed, but frustrating that they don't install when they should!

Tried uninstalling the current ones, but windows installs the drivers again before you even run anything else. Had a similar issue on my Vivotab Smart where the intel graphics accelerator drivers kept crashing, had to roll back to an older version to prevent that from happening! What is going on at intel?

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

Could you please try the troubleshooting steps posted on this other thread?

JustRick, have you checked if 1080 is available using an external display?

In the other hand, I have tried iTunes on my demo system and its working just just fine. Have you tried re-installing iTunes with the latest version available and test what ChadB suggested?

0 Kudos
JDorm
Beginner

Hi,

I finally managed to install the latest driver for w 8.1x64, following the instructions # 2 as indicated in this thread :

/thread/45727 Windows* 8.1 Driver (32 & 64 bit) - Version 3316

FYI, rebooting Windows 8 (and hence W8.1) in safe mode cannot be performed by prssing F8 button. You may rather follow these instructions : http://windows.microsoft.com/fr-fr/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-including-safe-mode Startup settings including safe mode.

I do hope now that the BSOD belong to the past...

Cheers.

0 Kudos
SMurr4
Beginner

Hi Diego_Intel.

Thanks for the suggestion re Intel HD 4000. I have done exactly as you have suggested but I still get the same BSOD and error message. The problem seems more serious, judging by the several comments on this and other websites. Maybe its just the integrated driver and we need an update - but how soon will that be - and is anyone in Intel working on it? Maybe it's a more serious design issue triggered by Microsoft attempting to further integrate metro to the desktop with windows 8.1 that causes real problems for all those machines that have both an integrated intel and separate dedicated gpu. If you have any further ideas I'd be delighted otherwise I'll have have to scrap 8.1 and reinstall windows 8 from scratch.

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

Folks having the BSOD issues, could you please confirm in your systems if you have Lucid Virtu or any similar software installed that may be trying to manage the switchable graphics feature in your system? If so, try removing that software and test again.

And make sure that you have the latest drivers available for the third party video card installed, either from the manufacturer itself (ATI/nVidia*) or your computer manufacturer (OEM). Additionally, make sure that the latest BIOS for your computer is already installed. Check the BIOS settings and see if there is a way to set the third party video controller as the primary display too.

@tigertom, in fact we are investigating in this issue and trying to replicate it as well, however we are yet to confirm if this may be due to the generic driver provided through Microsoft* updates, if this could be related to the image pushed through the update service to get win8.1, etc.

0 Kudos
pgorb1
Beginner

I have now:
  • Upgraded my Intel HD 4000 driver to the latest 63 bit version
  • Upgraded my NVidia to the most recent driver
  • Upgraded my Laptop BIOS ( only a week old, still no option to disable the intel hd 4000 graphics)

I do not have Lucid Virtu or any similar software installed.

After I updated my BIOS, I was able to play a game for 10 minutes before again getting the "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (igdkmd64.sys)". It crashed again and rebooted to a blank black screen but I was able to power off and back on and it came up .... but been though this several times before and it's roulette weather you will be able to boot up or not.

I look forward to a solution to this very annoying problem. admittedly I mostly blame Microsoft for releasing window 8.1 with no way to revert when it was sufficiently test with all graphic drivers. I was running wind 8 for about 1 and 1/2 years playing high end games without a single crash, now I can only play for 1 to 10 minutes before crashing. And again it IS the Intel HD4000 graphic drivers that is throwing the error.

0 Kudos
AM_
Beginner

Diego_Intel wrote:

Folks having the BSOD issues, could you please confirm in your systems if you have Lucid Virtu or any similar software installed that may be trying to manage the switchable graphics feature in your system?

No, I do not have this or similar program installed.

Diego_Intel wrote:

And make sure that you have the latest drivers available for the third party video card installed, either from the manufacturer itself (ATI/nVidia*) or your computer manufacturer (OEM).

I have tried both the latest OEM (Toshiba) and manufacturer (nVidia) drivers available for my graphic card, to no avail.

Diego_Intel wrote:

Additionally, make sure that the latest BIOS for your computer is already installed. Check the BIOS settings and see if there is a way to set the third party video controller as the primary display too.

I have the latest BIOS, and it doesn't offer me any settings to select the video controller.

I hope it helps.

0 Kudos
SArno2
Beginner

Hi Me2, I had the same trouble. It was driving me nuts. After trying a whole load of things I think I have got my system working again. Below is what I did. I know I am using AMD and you are on NVidia but I think the issue is the Intel driver. I have left Grid 2 running almost the whole weekend without a single problem. I hope this works for you as well. I originally posted this on the eightforums: - http://www.eightforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/33876-windows-8-1-bsod-fresh-install-igdkmd64-sys-2.html Windows 8.1 BSOD Fresh Install - igdkmd64.sys - Page 2

This is what I did, I uninstalled my AMD drivers (13.11) and then I uninstalled the Intel drivers from the programs and Features application within the control panel. I then went to device manger (right click this computer and choose properties). I right clicked on the Intel card and selected uninstall. So now when I right click on my desktop there is nowhere to choose any kind of graphic properties. I then restarted my laptop and installed the latest AMD Drivers again. The strange thing is the intel drivers seem to reinstall themselves. Not the ones that were installed but an earlier version. I have taken a couple of screen shots that will hopefully make it clear what drivers are installed. Let me know how you get on and good luck. If it goes wrong again I will repost.

http://www.eightforums.com/attachments/bsod-crashes-debugging/30373d1382891425-windows-8-1-bsod-fresh-install-igdkmd64-sys-intel.png

http://www.eightforums.com/attachments/bsod-crashes-debugging/30374d1382891503-windows-8-1-bsod-fresh-install-igdkmd64-sys-amd.png

0 Kudos
pgorb1
Beginner

Still no luck for me.

I have the newest BIOS and the newest drivers for both the intel and my NVidia cards.

Last time I installed it I didn't completely uninstall the intel ones until I got only windows basic driver. I did that and then had a lot of trouble getting it to recognize it as a intell again. Funny thing it looks like the NVidia driver is linked somehow to the intel driver, because it would not let update my NVidia driver again when the windows basic instead of intel driver was installed as it came up with error "Intel driver must be installed first"

Any way 2 days ago I got all the drivers reinstalled and up to date again. Yesterday I played a game ( Skyrim ) for about 3 hours no problems, but that wasn'tthe game that was crashing. I loaded the problem game, Fallout New Vegas, and it ran for about 1 1/2 hours, I was feeling condifdent and was about to post success when my system crashed again with another BSOD and the all too failure "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (igdkmd64.sys)".

0 Kudos
SMurr4
Beginner

I am a new member with a Sony Vaio S series.(i7 2.2ghz 64bit 12gb ram). I am having exactly the same experience - a BSOD with message DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (igdkmd64.sys) when playing a game (in my case Civ4!). I have also received low memory alerts. I have updated all drivers (Nvidia, Intel, etc) to latest windows 8.1 compliance to no avail. I have also tried the suggestion of setting the Nvidia GPU as default but still got a BSOD. If anyone has found a solution please advise or is this something that Intel or Microsoft have to solve ( I've found others on the web with the same problem). Help please!!

0 Kudos
AShir4
Beginner

HI, I have faced the same issue. After upgrade to windows 8.1 my NVidia gtx 770 3 gb just disappeared. I use msi gt70 with i7 4700 haswell and 16 gb memory. The only thing that helped me to F8 and refresh to windows 8 but not to restore. now I have to download again all applications but at least device manager shows both graphics card NVidia 4600 and gtx 770. anyone who faced can do the same, and do not upgrade to 8.1. need wait for stable version

0 Kudos
LFath
Beginner

I'm suffering from same problem too

I'm using

HP ENVY 17-j029nr Quad Edition Notebook PC

Intel® CoreTM i7-4702MQ 4702MQ with Intel HD Graphics 4600

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M - with latest driver 331.65 WHQL

Windows 8.1

Always get this BSOD :

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (igdkmd64.sys)

when i'm playing Crysis 3 game

0 Kudos
LFath
Beginner
0 Kudos
LFran8
Beginner

Same BSOD while playing Crysis 2 and Guild Wars 2 using last driver (10.18.10.3308) for Windows 8.1 with my laptop Asus N76VZ (GT650m).

Seemed resolved by using driver Version V9.17.10.2828 for Windows 8 from Asus website (http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=N76VZ&os=30 http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=N76VZ&os=30).

You should really think of withdraw last driver or warn users!!!

0 Kudos
DLadi1
Beginner

isn't there any solution yet???? i have the same issue on my vaio laptop and is very annoying, please someone help us!

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

Those who still have the igdkmd64.sys BSOD, could you please check in the Device Manager of your system and see if there are any conflicts there under video adapters?

Were you seeing any conflict after updating to win8.1?

Was your operating system updated or you performed a fresh win8.1 install?

0 Kudos
JSee1
Beginner

Hi, I'm having the same issue as the rest. In Device manager, under display adapter it states that both my AMD and Intel HD 4000 cards are working properly, with no conflict. My OS was updated to Win8.1 through the Windows store.

Whenever I play a game a memory shortage notice would always appear within a few minutes (and whenever I check Task Manager my memory is always nowhere near depleted). Then it would be sooner or later before the DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (igdkmd64.sys) BSOD appears.

I have downloaded and installed the latest AMD driver/software and BIOS for my system from my OEM as well as the HD 4000 driver from /thread/45727 https://communities.intel.com/thread/45727 but games would still crash my system. The funny thing is, I once tried rolling back to the previous HD 4000 driver through Device Manager to v9 point something and the memory notices and BSODs seemed to stop. However, pesky Windows Update went and installed the same driver from /thread/45727 https://communities.intel.com/thread/45727. My computer now goes back to crashing.

So now I think I'll return to using the previous driver for the HD 4000, like a few people here seem to be doing, and see if the memory shortages and crashes still appear. Until Intel releases another update that people feedback it stops the memory notices and BSODs. Cheers.

UPDATE: Version 9.17.10.2817 of the Intel HD 4000 driver indeed stops the memory notices and BSODs. SO now I'll have to take note of Windows Update and not let it update the driver.

0 Kudos
AAleg
Beginner

Installing version 9.17.10.2817 also worked for me. You can download it here:

http://support.lenovo.com/de_DE/detail.page?DocID=DS031243 0mvg11w8_64.exe

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I cant get version 9.17.10.2817 to install on my system, even via device manager.

Could somebody who managed to do it please do a step-by-step? Thank you very much in advance.

0 Kudos
JSee1
Beginner

I actually installed it from a disc I found that came with my computer, which had software (like Quickset; mine is a Dell) and drivers (like video drivers for HD 4000 and discrete card). I couldn't install from Device Manager too cus the 3316 driver was installed two times on my computer, once by Windows Update and once by me from the forum link in my previous post, since I didn't realise it was the exact same driver I had on my computer then. I only discovered it was when I tried rolling back the driver again to find the driver was rolled back to the exact same version. Maybe you could find a similar disc?

0 Kudos