Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

Windows 8.1 Drivers for Intel HD Graphics 4000

CDe_T
Novice

Hello,

I just upgraded to Windows 8.1 today and I'm running into some issues. When I run GTA 4 (haven't tested any other games to be frank) - which ran fine before the update - it crashes after a while with a BSOD. The error message being:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (igdkmd64.sys)

This query in Google has led me to the information that the HD Graphics driver is crashing. The next thing I did was installhttps://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?lang=eng&DwnldID=23106 the latest HD Graphics drivers. This has not yet fixed the issue.

What I just noticed while writing this is that Hardware Info 64 does not recognize my Nvidia GPU. This could mean that GTA 4 is running on the HD Graphics GPU? So at this moment I'm reinstalling my Nvidia drivers.

So I reinstalled (clean install) the Nvidia drivers. I ran GTA4 which ran for a little while longer, but still throws a BSOD after a while.

In any case, this should ne be happening, right?

System:

Asus n56vz (notebook)

CPU: Intel Core i7-3615QE (including Intel HD Graphics 4000 (Ivy Bridge GT2))

GPU: GeFore GTX 650M

Chipset: Intel HM76 (Panther Point)

Memory: 8192 MB DDR3

129 Replies
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

I understand and I thank you for your patience. I will forward the feedback for future considerations.

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

@Zigman,,

Your Toshiba system has graphics drivers installed that have been customized by Toshiba specifically for your system. If you update them with the generic Intel HD Graphics drivers, you will loose the Toshiba customizations which may cause your system to not function the Toshiba intended it to.

If you do want to take the risk of installing generic drivers, I would recommend creating a restore point prior to the installation.

Here are the steps you need to use to install the generic drivers.

1. Login with administrator privileges

2. Open Control Panel

3. Open Device Manager

4. Click on "Display adapters"

5. Double click "Intel HD Graphics"

6. Click on the "Driver" tab

7. Click on "Update Driver" button

8. Click on "Browse my computer for driver software"

9. Click on "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"

10. Click on "Have Disk" button <-- very important step

11. Click "Browse"

12. Navigate to the folder that you unzipped the Beta Intel HD Graphics driver to

13.Navigate to the Graphics sub-folder

14. Double click the igdlh64.inf or igdlh.inf file <-- depends on if you have 32 or 64 bit OS

15.Click "OK"

16. Click "Next"

Driver should now be installing.

17. If successful, click "Close"

Reboot.

Report back on how it goes.

Robert

0 Kudos
zh
Beginner

Hi Robert,

So I did what you suggested and followed your directions fully. The driver "updated", wherein it says the driver date is 1/2014, but still lists a different version. I haven't fully tested out the new driver yet, but I am optimistic that this'll work. I'll let you know.

Thanks a lot for your (and Kevin's) help!

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee
0 Kudos
JInig
Beginner

Hello... I have a similar issue with my laptop's Intel HD 4000 driver on Windows 8.1 Pro RTM... I noticed that Windows Update forces me to install an HD 4000 driver v3308 as a video driver and not as a Graphics Adapter

with the WDDM 1.1 WDDM 2.1 WDDM 3.1... This is causing really bad desktop graphics and text as well as icons... Also causing issues with DirectX11 not functioning... I ran WinSAT and it says Dx10 assessment aborted because my graphics driver is not WDDM... Now my laptop originally came with a HDD and Win8 x64 Single Language... I upgraded to an SSD and Win8.1 Pro x64 RTM clean install... And when I use the HDD with Win8 it does update normally to WDDM drivers and thru Windows Update as Graphics Adapter drivers.... And the Hardware ID for the HD 4000 on Win8 is different than on Win8.1... As also is my SD Card Reader and some other hardware too... I have manually installed the 3412 driver for HD 4000 and nothing changes... Same issue that it's not WDDM and its not using any Dedicated Video Memory at all... Only Dynamic... How can it be possible that Win8 does detect the correct hardware and drivers for it but Win8.1 Pro does not??? I mean its the same laptop... Shouldn't Win8.1 detect the same exact hardware and ID's as the OEM Win8??? I also tries the OEM graphics driver from Asus and it installs the same v3308 driver and as a video driver not a graphics adapter and not as WDDM... Any ideas what is the cause???
0 Kudos
TTayl5
Beginner

Hey Robert_U, I followed all your steps, and it gives me an incompatibility error when I try to install. It says it doesn't support my version of windows.

Edit: I just tried again and it started installing, then went black and never fixed. So now whenever I boot up I just get a black screen......I'm about to chunk it through a damn wall. It's a good thing I have a desktop with windows 7 right next to it. Windows 8.1 is such a pain in the ass. Consoles seriously look better and better when you don't have to jump through hoops just to get what you payed for to actually work correctly. I can't even access windows restore. edit 2: nevermind, got access to restore at least. I forgot to mention I had installed a wmd 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 for intel 4000 from windows or something like that along with some kb29 something or other. I've got it in safe mode, what can I do to prevent a system restore (that never ends well)?

I just keep editing, until someone else posts, don't wanna be that guy with 8 posts in a row.

So I got into safe mode and reinstalled drivers and restarted and it still comes up black after POST, windows load screen then black. Real black, not the black where the monitor is turned on, the monitor it's like the monitor isn't even powered anymore. (Laptop, so yeah, no individual power.) Yup, definitely the drivers, disable Intel HD = works fine. Enable = Black screen. I guess I'm gonna try safe mode one more time, uninstall the drivers entirely and see where that gets me.

Love that this happens right before the launch of a big game that definitely wouldnt work because of my igdkm64.sys issue, which I traced back to this.

Final Edit: Back to square one. I uninstalled the drivers now I have version......10.18.10.3412 instead of 10.18.10.3464. When I see 15333 (.3464) on the driver download, why do I not see 15333 in my driver version when installed? The driver on the website says 15.33.0.3464 but on my device manager it lists as 10.33.0.3464. (In safemode before I uninstall)

So I've narrowed down my issue to being the .3464 driver. Why is it when I have a super awesome GTX 675mx(best available at the time for laptops) that I'm still forced into using my Intel HD 4000 graphics, even when I have it set to always use my 'high performance processor'? Why am I still using the intel HD processor?

Can you also tell me where the drivers are trying to unpack/install to? I've somehow managed to eat like 4-8 gb trying to solve this problem.

Attached my dxdiag

0 Kudos
zh
Beginner

It works!

My computer hasn't blue screened at all, knock on wood, since I've done this. No memory prompts, nothing. Only problem is that the FPS have been dropping to zero, but I'm totally cool with that (it's a strategy game).

Thanks so much for your help.

0 Kudos
CMorv
Beginner

Hey thanks for posting this over a year later it helped me with my problem i updated my driver just gotta see if it works out thanks again

0 Kudos
vg5
Beginner

hi there,

i am having dell inspiron 15z with 3rd gen i5 with 6gb ram with 400 graphics.

in win 7 counter strike global offensive the game works but in win 8.1 the game stucks. i think its because of the graphics. please help me, i have updated the driver.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hi venkat12,

I recommend you updating the graphics driver for your system. Here is the latest graphics driver:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23405 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23405

If you are having problems during the installation of the driver, please try the manual driver installation:

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033916.htm http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033916.htm

If doing these steps the issue persists, I recommend you contacting the computer manufacture for further instructions or installing the OEM driver.

0 Kudos
KNewe
Beginner

Windows 8.1 Professional laptop with HD Graphics 4000 card is not recognizing an external monitor.

- The newest driver has been installed the correct way (Un-Installed the original and installed the newest release) but this makes no difference.

I have been reading through different forums on this site and have not found a solution for this issue. As it stands, we may end up just "downgrading" to Windows 7 Professional to see if this resolves the issue.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

If possible test a different cable with no adapters between the system and the monitor. Make sure you have the latest driver installed. In any case here you can download it:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23714 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23714

0 Kudos
TNels
Beginner

Hello,

So I have read through the entire 8 pages of suggestions and responses to this issue. I have attempted nearly every suggestion. Samsung with Intel hd 4000.

My Intel Graphics cards still shows and error with Windows error code 43, a very generic code.

I have the updated BIOS, tried the manual install/uninstall procedures, again nearly everything suggested.

I wonder Kevin if intel has actually released a version that is compatible with windows 8.1? Because it seemed around page 4 (in March) Diego was admitting there was an issue. March is when the last update to the driver was released.

0 Kudos
IMaur1
Beginner

Hello,

I just got a mission to install Windows 8.1 on a HP SPECTRE XT Ultrabook™ 13-2100eo that was using Intel HD Graphics 4000. According both HP and Intel it was supposed to be compatible with Windows 8.1.

But that information is false. It does not work with Windows 8.1!

Windows just reports that a error occurred and therefor Windows have prevented it from starting.

Please fix the driver, it is just embarrassing to tell clients that its going to work when it have not even been tested properly.

Edit: I have tested with the exe file and the zip. None of them work. And also installed it manually.

Best regards

Ivan

0 Kudos
JInig
Beginner

Insectbob,

Hey! I am in absolute agreement with you! However, try the following "Clean Install" method to install the HD 4000 drivers...

1: DISABLE INTERNET CONNECTION!

2: Uninstall Intel HD Graphics from Control Panel

3: Reboot

4: In Device Manager, manually uninstall Graphics driver AND CHECK THE BOX TO DELETE DRIVER SOFTWARE AS WELL! VERY IMPORTANT!

5: Reboot

6: Make sure in Device Manager you're seeing "Basic Display Driver" or even better "VGA Compatible Display Adapter" If not repeat steps 4 & 5 until you get to the basic driver.

7: Reboot once more

8: Manually install HD 4000 driver from within Device Manager using the "Have Disk" method.

9: Reboot

10: Follow up by installing the HD 4000 EXE Package

***Remember you must disable internet connection completely until you complete all the steps ok... Hopefully that will help you out. If not, the only other option that should work is adding the Intel HD 4000 drivers to the Win8.1 installation image using Windows ADK thus creating a "Customized" installation allowing Win8.1 to install the drivers as part of the OS install process... I have concluded that THAT IS THE CAUSE OF ALL THESE ISSUES... Since Win8.1 doesn't include "In-box" compatible drivers... The solution must me to include them in the install image just like OEM's do it... I haven't tried it but I'm in the process of doing it because I'm at the limit of my patience with all the incompatibility issues with Clean Installs of Win8.1 and device drivers...

Let me know how it goes! Good luck!

0 Kudos
IMaur1
Beginner

Thanks Sebastian, this actually worked but i still don't believe Microsoft its to blame here (for once). It's more like the Intel's driver packager apartment, I mean common why does a multi millionaire company still uses a installer thats from the 90's or at the start of 2000. I remember that installer software was like new when Windows XP started...

Come back to 2014 and spend some cash on a Installer is compatible with the latest OS's that is out there. If Nvidia and AMD can have a installer package that can install it correct from start why would not Intel be able to do it when they can create super processor chip's. Are you low on people that actually know how to package drivers or whats the problem? You know that you can do stuff before Windows start in order to prevent it from picking up crap once it starts?

0 Kudos
skay
Novice

I have also read through many posts on Intel, these 8 pages included...I have also installed, and re-installed the driver for the video. It works, but not if I have to restart the computer. Or if the computer restarts itself after an update or whatever. I have the newest drivers installed...is there any reason they are not working once the computer restarts? If I re-install the video driver, it works, until the next restart. I've had this computer for about a year, and only just now added the second monitor...a ViewSonic VG2230...using a DVI to HDMI cable.

I'm hoping there's a simple solution to something working, and then not working, once there is a restart.

This is the driver I'm working with:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23714 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23714

JInig
Beginner

@SandyKay

Hey! I can tell you exactly why the driver re-installs after each reboot... Windows has a setting that automatically installs device drivers from Windows Update... And it forces those drivers in most cases... More so with Graphics for some reason... Same happened to me! Thankfully I have an easy fix for you!

1) Open Control Panel (hopefully you have already set "View -> Small Icons") If not please do so.

2) Click on "Devices and Printers"

3) Select YOUR PC, right-click and select "Device Installation Settings"

4) Select "No, let me choose..." and then also select under it to "Never install device drivers from Windows Update"

5) Do a "Clean Install" of the latest drivers (Make sure to completely uninstall the drivers that Windows auto-installs)

6) Open Windows Update, the driver should show up again, since we don't want it, right-click on it and select "Hide Update"

Now you should be set! Let me,know how it goes ok! If you need additional help, please let me know!

0 Kudos
skay
Novice

Thank you so much for such a quick reply! I'm running Windows 8.1 Pro...and the (# 4.) option to "Never install device drivers from Windows Update" isn't a choice, so I chose to never check for updates, just to see if the Intel driver would stick. No luck.

Not sure of # 5. to uninstall the drivers that Windows auto-installs...

Once I did the re-install of Intel's driver, I checked on the MS update, and didn't see the MS driver show up...

Maybe this is a clue...hopefully...

Once I restart...at first, I see the BIOS screen on both monitors, then there is a small bright blue box that says "Digital No Signal" Once this message shows, the 2nd monitor goes off (it's the one connected to the HDMI port)

I sincerely appreciate your help...techs are essential to our lives!

0 Kudos
JInig
Beginner

denied:javascript:;

Hey there! You got it wrong... You need to go to "Devices and Printers" in Control Panel... There you will see Your PC, Printers... Etc... Right-click on your PC and select "Device Installation Settings" a window will come up where you will have the options we're looking for... Here's a link to an image of what I mean: http://i.stack.imgur.com/GP0KG.png There you select "Never install drivers from Windows Update" then follow the steps I previously mentioned and you will be good to go! Keep me posted ok...

0 Kudos