Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20623 Discussions

Windows 8.1 Drivers for Intel HD Graphics 4000

CDe_T
Novice

Hello,

I just upgraded to Windows 8.1 today and I'm running into some issues. When I run GTA 4 (haven't tested any other games to be frank) - which ran fine before the update - it crashes after a while with a BSOD. The error message being:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (igdkmd64.sys)

This query in Google has led me to the information that the HD Graphics driver is crashing. The next thing I did was installhttps://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?lang=eng&DwnldID=23106 the latest HD Graphics drivers. This has not yet fixed the issue.

What I just noticed while writing this is that Hardware Info 64 does not recognize my Nvidia GPU. This could mean that GTA 4 is running on the HD Graphics GPU? So at this moment I'm reinstalling my Nvidia drivers.

So I reinstalled (clean install) the Nvidia drivers. I ran GTA4 which ran for a little while longer, but still throws a BSOD after a while.

In any case, this should ne be happening, right?

System:

Asus n56vz (notebook)

CPU: Intel Core i7-3615QE (including Intel HD Graphics 4000 (Ivy Bridge GT2))

GPU: GeFore GTX 650M

Chipset: Intel HM76 (Panther Point)

Memory: 8192 MB DDR3

129 Replies
skay
Novice

Thank you again! I checked the setting, and it was already set to "Never install drivers from Windows Update"...it's step # 5 & # 6 that aren't clear to me...sorry...

I've re-installed Intel's driver various ways...like manually through the Device Manager, "Update Driver", to the "Have Disk" option and selecting the file in the graphics directory...even tried using the "Let me choose" option and selecting from the 3 Intel drivers on my system...and I used their installer, and their setup.exe file...only my original monitor comes on after rebooting...

I re-install...and as long as I don't reboot, both monitors work fine. I must be doing something wrong in step # 5 & 6...not sure if just re-installing is a 'clean' install...and there isn't anything to hide in Windows Update...so maybe it's that I'm not 'un-installing' the drivers that Windows auto installs? Not sure of that one, for sure...

0 Kudos
skay
Novice

FOUND A SOLUTION! Not really a 'FIX', but a solution...I read it somewhere...a while ago, and haven't been able to actually 'test' it, but, switching the monitor cables between the two monitors worked. (I shut down my system first) They now both stay on...and no more having to re-install an already installed update, every time the dang thing went to sleep. Didn't have to do anything else. Just switch cables between the 1st monitor & 2nd monitor. They both are still designated as they were originally 1 & 2, but now they stay on. FINI. Works for me. Hope it might help somebody else limping along with this crazy card.

0 Kudos
THowe1
Novice

Okay I actually figured out the problem for me and just tested it with a few hours of Skyrim on ultra high quality and worked perfectly! Assuming you have dedicated graphics along with your Intel 4000 whatever graphics card, this is what I suggest taking a look at.

1. Right click on desktop and go to the Graphics Properties with the Intel logo next to it. This should bring up a control panel.

2. Select display.

3. Turn down the refresh rate and try playing with the resolution.

4. I left my refresh rate at 60p Hz and resolution at 1366x768. With maintained display scaling below those options. (Make sure to hit apply!)

This is what I did to fix it, I don't know if all your laptops are set up the same settings wise but I'm assuming they are since it is from Intel not the PC manufacturer. So like I said played hours where I would normally get a ton of BSOD even on low quality, did this my PC detected ultra high and it ran flawlessly. If I encounter a problem later on I will post again!

Best of Luck!