Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Windows OpenGL drivers missing GL_ARB_TEXTURE_BUFFER_OBJECT

MTres
Beginner

Forwarded from the https://github.com/supertuxkart/stk-code/issues/2571 SuperTuxKart issue tracker.

It appears that GL_ARB_TEXTURE_BUFFER_OBJECT is missing from the Windows OpenGL driver. This is part of OpenGL 3.1 and driver advertises 4.3 but does not seem compliant. Please read the issue report linked above for more information.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello MTres19,

Thank you for joining the Graphics community.

Please let me review your inquiry, as soon as I have more information I will update the thread.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/111482 MTres19, I would like to check some information in order to proceed with the investigation. So, please respond to the following;

To attach a file, you must click "Use Advanced Editor" in the top right corner of the response box, then the "attach" option will appear in the bottom right corner of the response box.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
MTres
Beginner
  • I have attached the SSU report (SSU.xml)
  • I am currently on version .4549. However I am not the person who identified this problem, so I cannot say how long it has persisted. As you can see, however, from our http://addons.supertuxkart.net:8080/opengl/feature/GL_ARB_texture_buffer_object anonymous data collection on this OpenGL extension, the only reports supporting this extension on Intel hardware are from with the Mesa OpenGL drivers ("Intel Open Source Technology Center"). It seems that this is not specific to any particular version of the Windows OpenGL drivers. I am sorry that I am unable to provide information specific to my system but I think that the data I linked to is quite clear.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for the file.

With the current version you have installed, have you experienced the behavior mentioned?

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
MTres
Beginner

Yes, I have verified that GL_ARB_TEXTURE_BUFFER_OBJECT is missing.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for clarifying that information.

For testing purposes, could you please try with version https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26229/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-15-40-4th-Gen-?product=81496 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 [15.40][4th Gen]? Use the methods below to uninstall and reinstall the drivers;

Uninstall Intel® HD Graphics driver;

1. Open the Device Manager.
  2. Expand the Display Adapters section.
  3. Find the Intel Graphics Driver.
  4. Right click Intel Graphics Driver and select Uninstall.
  5. Select the check box Delete the driver software for this device.
  6. Reboot the computer after uninstall process has finished.

Installing the Intel® HD Graphics driver; http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html Manually Install an Intel® Graphics Driver in Windows® 10 and Windows...

Let me know your results.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
MTres
Beginner

The problem still exists with the driver version that you linked to.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for that information.

Please let me review your case, I will keep you updated.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

We are really sorry for the delay on coming back to you. We are still checking all details and information provided.

Thank you for your patience.

Regards,

Kevin M

0 Kudos
MTres
Beginner

Any updates? If it's of any interest, this is not a SuperTuxKart-specific issue, as you can see from this http://feedback.wildfiregames.com/report/opengl/feature/GL_ARB_texture_buffer_object other data collection.

EDIT: I also don't want this topic to be marked as "assumed resolved."

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/111482 MTres19, thank you for your patience.

We are currently reviewing this matter, as soon as I have more information I will update the thread.

In the meantime, please try the following;

1. Check if OGL 3.1 OR the GL_ARB_TEXTURE_BUFFER_OBJECT extension is supported.
  2. Omit checking if the GL_ARB_TEXTURE_BUFFER_OBJECT extension is supported.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
MTres
Beginner

Amy,

To address your questions:

1. The driver advertises OpenGL 4.3, which implies that OpenGL 3.1 is supported.

2. SuperTuxKart does not currently use this extension; we would like to use it but because Intel users on Windows make up a large portion of our userbase, we cannot.

Regards.

Matthew

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks Matthew, I will add this to the investigation.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello Matthew,

I would like to further explain the situation surrounding the GL_ARB_TEXTURE_BUFFER_OBJECT extension.

The Intel driver supports this extension however, due to a situation we are currently working on, support for this extension is not announced.

You can use this extension and all the functions described in the specification are available in the driver, if the driver supports OpenGL* 3.1 or a newer OpenGL* version.

The proposed work around that Amy mentioned before was only to change the way how the application checks whether ARB_texture_buffer_object is supported – instead of checking if this extension is announced the proposal was to validate whether OpenGL*3.1+ is supported.

I hope this information helps you.

Regards,

0 Kudos
MTres
Beginner

That clears things up. Thanks!

0 Kudos