Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20597 Discussions

Windows Server Manager and Intel RST GUI crash with Intel HD 4000 Graphics enabled

JStok3
Beginner

OS Name Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter

Version 6.3.9600 Build 9600

Other OS Description Not Available

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name WOPR

System Manufacturer To Be Filled By O.E.M.

System Model To Be Filled By O.E.M.

System Type x64-based PC

System SKU To Be Filled By O.E.M.

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. P2.00, 7/11/2013

I have an Nvidia 660ti with 2 monitors and a third monitor connected to the Intel HD 4000 graphics interface. Any interactions on Server Manager or RST GUI crash without an error in the UI.

Event log:

Application: ServerManager.exe

Framework Version: v4.0.30319

Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.

Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address 0000000000000000

followed by

Faulting application name: ServerManager.exe, version: 6.3.9600.16384, time stamp: 0x52156f0b

Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0000000000000000

Faulting process id: 0x23c0

Faulting application start time: 0x01ceb55ad6f3b1ea

Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\ServerManager.exe

Faulting module path: unknown

Report Id: 1580f051-214e-11e3-80bf-bc5ff4475a4e

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

This is 100% reproducible as long as the Intel HD 4000 interface is enabled, disabling it in device manager allows me to use Server Manager and Intel RST without issue on the 2 Nvidia hosted monitors.

Known issue? Want more info?

Using these drivers:

Driver Version 9.18.10.3257

0 Kudos
14 Replies
DArce
Valued Contributor III

Drivers provided for this video controller are only validated and compatible with desktop operating systems as Microsoft* Windows* XP, Microsoft* Windows* 7 and Microsoft* Windows* 8 As a matter of fact the driver that you are using only supports Microsoft* Windows* 7 and Microsoft* Windows* 8.

Furthermore, having a system with switchable graphics requires a special software to achieve this, and such configurations only support the the physical usage of one video adapter or the other. In your case you are using both simultaneously.

You should test using a compatible platform and system configuration to avoid this kind of issues.

JStok3
Beginner

This isn't switchable graphics ala Optimus, this is a video card in a PCIE slot and a graphics card in a processor with a dvi out on the mother board.

Thanks for the response, you do have a valid point on drivers. I don't see 8.1/2012 R2 drivers out yet for the HD 4000 though.

8 drivers should work with 2012, same as 8.1 and 2012 R2. I suppose I can wait to file a bug/open a support case/whatever until the 8.1 drivers are released but I am fairly certain this problem will still be present, so I thought it would be nice to give the opportunity to look into the crash now rather than later.

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

In a system that does not feature switchable graphics, adding an external video card to the computer would (as this is how its designed) electrically disable the integrated video controller in the processor/motherboard. Hence even on that scenario, the system should not be using displays connected to the external video card and the Intel® HD Graphics.

0 Kudos
JStok3
Beginner

I appreciate you taking the time out to explain. This doesn't happen on my system (specs above) and hasn't in the past 1.5 years. Can you point me to any public support statement saying this isn't a supported configuration please? It's a quite common lab setup for folks in my field so if we are doing something wrong I'd like to take that knowledge back to them.

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

This has been the way that integrated video controllers have worked since designed. Starting the Intel(R) 4 series video controllers, the possibility of switchable graphics was introduced. If you need to confirm if this configuration should work you can check directly with your motherboard or computer manufacturer in order to see if they validate such configuration.

0 Kudos
JStok3
Beginner

Fair enough, thanks for your time.

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

You are welcome JeffStokes_MSFT

0 Kudos
JStok3
Beginner

Any thoughts now that another user reports this without a 2nd discrete video card?

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

There are two things that are not validated on this scenario.

1. The add-in/integrated graphics configuration being used.

2. The fact that the video drivers we provide are not compatible with Server edition operating systems.

So the system configuration being used is not guaranteed to work at all.

0 Kudos
JStok3
Beginner

1. Well, the X1 Carbon doesn't have an add-in/integrated issue, its JUST the cpu video, that's it as far as I know.

2. I'm not sure that really matters, but I guess I can wait until your Server 2012 R2 drivers don't work and reactive this thread again sure.

Any idea when you'll be releasing 2012 R2 WDM 1.3 drivers for the Intel 4000 HD series? GA for 2012 R2 is the 18th I think.

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

At this moment there is not a estimated time when an official driver will be released with support for WDDM 1.3.

Beta drivers are available here:

0 Kudos
JStok3
Beginner

10.18.10.3316 driver version fixes this fyi

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

I am glad this version worked for you. I have marked your response as the helpful answer for any further references. Thank you for your constant feedback on this.

0 Kudos
NWang15
Beginner

This issue also happens on my Thinkpad X1 carbon. There is only one display adapter, Intel HD4000.

The workaround is to uninstall the graphics driver.

This issue 100% is reproducible.

Intel, please resolve this issue and provide official driver for Windows Server 2012 R2.

Many thanks!

0 Kudos