Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20917 Discussions

Windows Update Tries to Install Older Driver on Windows 11

appier
Novice

I updated my Lenovo laptop with Intel® UHD Graphics 620 to graphics driver 31.0.101.2115 using  the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant. It is working better than the previous driver, and I would like to keep it. However, Windows Update attempts to install the older driver, 26.20.100.7323, throwing the Install error - 0x80070103 in the process.

Is there a workaround for this, or should I just ignore it for now?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello appier,

Thanks for the information provided.

Since the previous recommendation did not solve the issue. We recommend the following:

You can manually install the graphics driver using the following steps:

• Download the appropriate driver for your system from the appropriate link below:
  • Click the Download button to download the .exe file.
  • Run the downloaded .exe.
  • During the installation process, when you reach the Install stage, click the Customize button.
  • Make sure not to enable the Execute a clean installation check box.
  • After finishing the driver installation, click the Optional reboot button.

Temporarily disable Windows Updates:

• Open Settings.
  • Click Update & Security.
  • Click Windows Update.
  • Click the Advanced options button.
  • Under the Pause updates section, use the drop-down menu to select how long to disable updates.

It is important to mention that Windows* automatic updates may contain important security updates or important stability improvements. Disabling automatic updates will not install these updates.

Also, if your assumption is correct and you have an issue with the Windows Update. We recommend you contact Microsoft Support for further recommendations.

Best regards,

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello appier.

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. We understand that the Windows update is installing an older driver than the one installed from the  Intel® Driver & Support Assistant.

For this, try installing the latest graphics driver version over the version Windows* update installed. Make sure you do not uninstall the version Windows* Update previously installed.

Also, it is important to mention that there are two different types of drivers, generics provided by Intel and Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) drivers, that are customized to work with each specific system. Windows Update installs OEM drivers.

Best regards,

Jean O. 

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello appier,

We hope you are doing fine.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
appier
Novice

Jean,

Thank you for responding. I was able to check the previous post. However, I have come to the conclusion this appears to be a Microsoft Update issue, not an actual Intel driver issue. 

I intended doing a clean install on a laptop for school with similar specs. It automatically installed the newest 31 level driver. When I ran Windows update, Windows update still loads the 26 level driver as an update, fails because the version level on the update is lower than what is installed, then throws the error. At this point, I am looking at several machines working fine other than Windows Update.

Not sure what is in the 31 driver update, but it seems better at running the 4k displays through the HDMI port. So, from here, I see no reason to take them back to the 26 level driver.

Thank you for following up with me!

Mark

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello appier,

Thanks for the information provided.

Since the previous recommendation did not solve the issue. We recommend the following:

You can manually install the graphics driver using the following steps:

• Download the appropriate driver for your system from the appropriate link below:
  • Click the Download button to download the .exe file.
  • Run the downloaded .exe.
  • During the installation process, when you reach the Install stage, click the Customize button.
  • Make sure not to enable the Execute a clean installation check box.
  • After finishing the driver installation, click the Optional reboot button.

Temporarily disable Windows Updates:

• Open Settings.
  • Click Update & Security.
  • Click Windows Update.
  • Click the Advanced options button.
  • Under the Pause updates section, use the drop-down menu to select how long to disable updates.

It is important to mention that Windows* automatic updates may contain important security updates or important stability improvements. Disabling automatic updates will not install these updates.

Also, if your assumption is correct and you have an issue with the Windows Update. We recommend you contact Microsoft Support for further recommendations.

Best regards,

Jean O. 

0 Kudos
Syjmick
Beginner

Sorry, how does it differ from your previous solution?

0 Kudos
dinotsy
Beginner

So, not intending to be accid, but this answer's got me a little dumbfounded... how on earth is this checked as the "solution" for this problem, when you simply suggest users to deactivate one of the most important functions of windows? I mean, is this really acceptable that we just let the OS out of date instead of reporting this to make a real fix for the problem? Or is this something Intel can't do a thing? This topic was opened 1 month ago and windows update keeps on trying to overwrite a new driver for an older one.

0 Kudos
appier
Novice

If it worked and kept on working, deactivating this function when it has been replaced by Intel's tool is acceptable because the driver from Intel is more up to date and is working better. However, the issue has now come back again and Windows update wants to install the old driver again...

0 Kudos
dinotsy
Beginner

I kept on searching for possible solutions for this problem, and i found out a way to simply deactivate the download of one or other specific update, so that i could let the windows update activated normally. I don't remember the patch i used (it was in another pc) but it traced the update and windows just stopped downloading it. 🙂

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@dinotsyYou can use the wuShowHide tool to block an update from Microsoft.  I have attached the tool.

Install the update you want, and restart your PC.

Then, run the wushowhide tool and block/hide the update being offered by Microsoft.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

dinotsy
Beginner

yesss, that was the app! Thank you so much, i'll save it for further needs lol

0 Kudos
appier
Novice

@AlHill Thank you, that troubleshooter works in Windows 11!

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Yes, it works great in W10 and W11.  Why the ICS folks do not tell users about it is beyond me.   It is a microsoft tool.  Yet, ICS will recommend you use DDU to remove video drivers, when that is a 3rd party tool.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello appier,

We hope you are doing fine.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
appier
Novice

Jean,

I followed the instructions in your post, downloaded and installed the most recent driver, rebooted that laptop, tried Windows Update, and everything worked. With a second laptop, I followed the same steps, and it worked. However, with a couple more of the same group which had the most recent driver, I did nothing except request Windows Update, and everything was straightened out on them as well. So, at this point, everything is doing what it is supposed to do.

Thank you for your attention and following up with me. Much appreciated!

Mark

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello appier,

We're glad to know the information helped. Hopefully, it will help other community members. Since the thread is now solved, we will close it. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Jean O. 

0 Kudos