Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20601 Discussions

Windows Update installs an older driver than the driver already installed on the system

VRecc
Beginner

​I have a notebook with Windows 10 (64 bit) on which there is an Intel HD graphics 4400 video card (integrated in the processor). For this video card I installed an updated driver downloaded from the Intel website with this version: 20.19.15.5063 of 2018. After a short time from installing this driver, Windows update installs me an older driver with this version: 10.18.15.4248 of 2015. Is the older driver really more suitable for my configuration or is there a problem with the driver on the "Microsoft Catalog"?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello VRecc,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Regarding your concerns, it is worth mentioning that Windows Update is programmed to think the latest Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) driver is better for the user's system (especially on laptops, tablets, All-in-Ones, etc.) and it is normal behavior to see that it will revert the user's driver automatically if there is an internet connection available.

Also, the ones responsible for the records on the Microsft Catalogs are the respective OEMs (for instance, HP*, Dell*, Lenovo*, etc.) since they have access to the latest Intel's generic drivers in order to them customize and adjust the drivers for their specific systems, then, they should work with Microsoft® to provide these drivers via Windows® updates, this also takes into considerations security and validation process between Microsoft® and the OEM.

Intel® is responsible for the records on Microsoft Catalogs for Intel® Products, for instance, Intel® NUCs.

In this case and as Al.Hill mentioned before, Intel has no control over this, thus we suggest waiting until Windows Update or your OEM provides their own customized and more updated driver. Also, you can check this further with Microsoft® support to see if there is the option/setting to avoid Windows update pushing the installation of the older driver.

As an aside note, a newer driver does not necessarily mean it is the best driver for a specific system. Having said that, it could be that the "more suitable" driver for your system could be (indeed) the driver version 10.18.15.4248 if it is the customized driver from your OEM. The driver or software for your Intel® component might have been changed or replaced by the computer manufacturer and we recommend to work with your computer manufacturer before installing our driver so you don’t lose features or customizations.

Regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

*Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
AlHill
Super User

We cannot control what windows does.

For your laptop, you should use only the drivers provided by your laptop manufacturer for THEIR laptop.

Doc

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

But Intel is responsible for the records that are in the MS database. I think the issue is in their court...

Just saying,

...S

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello VRecc,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Regarding your concerns, it is worth mentioning that Windows Update is programmed to think the latest Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) driver is better for the user's system (especially on laptops, tablets, All-in-Ones, etc.) and it is normal behavior to see that it will revert the user's driver automatically if there is an internet connection available.

Also, the ones responsible for the records on the Microsft Catalogs are the respective OEMs (for instance, HP*, Dell*, Lenovo*, etc.) since they have access to the latest Intel's generic drivers in order to them customize and adjust the drivers for their specific systems, then, they should work with Microsoft® to provide these drivers via Windows® updates, this also takes into considerations security and validation process between Microsoft® and the OEM.

Intel® is responsible for the records on Microsoft Catalogs for Intel® Products, for instance, Intel® NUCs.

In this case and as Al.Hill mentioned before, Intel has no control over this, thus we suggest waiting until Windows Update or your OEM provides their own customized and more updated driver. Also, you can check this further with Microsoft® support to see if there is the option/setting to avoid Windows update pushing the installation of the older driver.

As an aside note, a newer driver does not necessarily mean it is the best driver for a specific system. Having said that, it could be that the "more suitable" driver for your system could be (indeed) the driver version 10.18.15.4248 if it is the customized driver from your OEM. The driver or software for your Intel® component might have been changed or replaced by the computer manufacturer and we recommend to work with your computer manufacturer before installing our driver so you don’t lose features or customizations.

Regards,

Andrew G.

*Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.

VRecc
Beginner

Hello AndrewG,

thank you very much for your reply, very professional!

I would like to add the following:

Windows downloads and installs the driver from its catalog even if I install the driver on the website of the manufacturer of my notebook; the 2 drivers have the same version. Is it possible to see if the driver of my notebook manufacturer is customized or is it the generic Intel driver? Should I check the hardware IDs in the driver .inf file?

Also how do I know if the driver that downloads Windows is the one customized by the manufacturer of my notebook? Should I always check the hardware IDs in the driver .inf file?

Regards,

Vito Recchia

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Actually you may stop Windows to update this specific driver (if you wish). Download from Microsoft https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026726/windows-10-hide-updates-or-driver-updates this Show Hide Tool: http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/2/F22D5FDB-59CD-4275-8C95-1BE17BF70B21/wushowhide.diagcab

Leon

AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello VRecc,

Thank you for your response.

Regarding your inquiries, it is worth mentioning that each OEM has access to our generic drivers' database and they can grab, customize, and finally upload them to the Windows® Catalog, so only customized drivers should be installed via Windows® Update. Unfortunately, we do not have visibility or control if the OEM is working with Microsoft® to update the Windows® Catalog up to the same status or level as the OEM's website.

Also, Intel's generic drivers will only be available from the Intel's Download Center website: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

I hope this clarifies your inquiries.

Regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
VRecc
Beginner

Hello Andrew G.,

Thank you for your answer.

Maybe I didn't explain myself well (I'm Italian, I don't speak English very well).

The process is perfectly clear: "every OEM has access to your database of generic drivers and they can acquire them, customize them and finally load them into the Windows® catalog, so only the custom drivers should be installed via Windows® Update."

But is there a mode to verify that the driver that Windows Update installs is the one customized by the manufacturer of my notebook (Acer) for my system? Is it sufficient to check the hardware ID of the device in the .inf file? I give the example of my Intel HD graphics 4400 video card integrated in the processor:

PCI \ VEN_8086 & DEV_0A16 & SUBSYS_07751025 & REV_09 -> Video card ID

PCI \ VEN_8086 & DEV_0A16 & SUBSYS_07751025                     -> Windows Update driver ID 

PCI \ VEN_8086 & DEV_0A16                                                               -> Driver ID on the Acer manufacturer's website

PCI \ VEN_8086 & DEV_0A16                                                               -> Driver ID on the Intel website

Regards,

Vito Recchia

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello VRecc,

Thank you for your response.

Regarding your inquiries and the example you provided, it seems like it is possible to use those details in the .inf file to identify whose this driver is in case of knowing the corresponding codes to the different OEMs.

However, in order to have correct information/confirmation about this information in the .inf file, including what level of customization is performed to the driver, what we recommend is checking directly with the OEM (Acer*) since they can validate this information properly.

It is expected that the drivers on the OEM's website correspond or match the drivers on the Windows® Catalog.

Regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
VRecc
Beginner

​Hello Andrew G.,

I contacted the OEM (Acer); they told me that the correct drivers are the ones on their website and that Microsoft has updated the drivers!!!😱

In my opinion, the drivers on their website (download) are the generic Intel ones of an old version. Is it possible for you to verify this thing?

Thank you.

Regards,

Vito Recchia

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello VRecc,

Regarding the information that the OEM has provided to you and your inquiry about the driver downloaded from their website, what we can confirm is that the best drivers for your system that you can install are the ones you can get from the OEM directly.

Also, we cannot tell once the driver is installed if it is customized or not. The standard process dictates that only customized drivers are to be published via Windows Update, however, Intel cannot control this side of the driver publishing process.

Regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos