Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Windows Update keeps rolling back my Intel UHD Graphics to an outdated version (26.20.100.7926)

DanPinNeon
Beginner

This is a long-term issue I've been facing since mid-2020.

My HP Notebook 15-dy1751ms, which originally ran on Windows 10 and is currently on Windows 11, is always up-to-date with the latest Intel UHD Graphics driver; however I've been hitting bumper-to-bumper with this one big driver-related problem. And what's that? Windows Update reverting the newer device driver version to 26.20.100.7926, released 2/25/2020, which is an OEM driver. Because it is extremely out-of-date and faulty, it often produces intermittent display flicker, fuzzy video, unusual artifacts and video shifts.

Unfortunately, it has gotten to the point that each time I install the latest graphics driver software via the Intel Driver & Support Assistant, Windows Update decides to roll back that newer driver to the same 2/25/2020 one. It happens every once in a while, but the situation has become very annoying as opposed to outdated software.

I wonder what's going on.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Tell HP to update their driver, or, stop using IDSA (which is not for your machine), or tell windows update to block the old driver.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
DanPinNeon
Beginner

And how are those solutions supposed to help?

• I'm not sure if I'll get an adequate response from HP when I contact them about the situation.
  • The old 2020 graphics driver is very crappy and to avoid that, I need to have IDSA installed on my system to ensure a fuss-free environment.
  • Lastly, there is no way you can actually block (or hide) the old driver in Windows Update on Windows 11, other than disabling Windows Update entirely (which is extremely insecure).
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

"And how are those solutions supposed to help?"

Each one will stop the rollback.

You do not need IDSA.

The wushowhide will stop the old update.  You do not need to disable WU.

Too bad HP will not help you.  But, I would not buy HP.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

You may stop Windows to download certain update using Microsoft Show or hide updates troubleshooter

Download and run this application, click Next. 

Click Hide updates and select the driver you want to hide from the list.

Click Next and than Close.

Leon

0 Kudos