Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20624 Discussions

Xe graphics hangs when system restart

Wesley1
Beginner
Hi,

I am using a Fujitsu notebook with Intel i7-1165G7 CPU, which is built in Xe graphics. I connect a 4K external monitor through HDMI. The system will hang when I use external display only. I have tried to update the Intel graphics driver to 30.0.101.1660, then the problem seems to be solved. However, when I restart the system, the system will keep waiting before the login screen with the external 4K display black out with the turning circle. If I unplug the HDMI cable at this moment, the login screen may come out on the notebook screen, but sometimes not.
If I shutdown the system and then switch on again, I find the system can start smoothly. Win10 21H2 is using in this system.
Is there any updated driver can solved the restart problem?
Thx.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
22 Replies
Wesley1
Beginner
Dear Albert,

Thx for your reply.

Since I have changed to a HDMI 2.1 cable in order to solve the problem, now you ask me test HDMI2.0 to see if the problem still exist. I don’t understand the purpose of changing back to a HDMI 2.0 cable. If HDMI 2.0 cable is working fine, why I buy a HDMI2.1 cable to try?

I have found another notebook which is Intel UHD630 and it can display 4k@60Hz with the Dell monitor without any problem, using the same cable.

In my opinion, the Xe graphic seems not a better graphic than the old UHD.

In addition, I have tried an old Nvidia graphic also and it is working fine at 4k@60Hz.

I have mentioned the reply from Dell and Fujitsu in the previous post before.

I have no word to say anymore and thanks for your time to check this problem.

Regards,
Wesley
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello Wesley1, You are very welcome, thank you very much for sharing that information.

"I don’t understand the purpose of changing back to a HDMI 2.0 cable. If HDMI 2.0 cable is working fine, why I buy a HDMI2.1 cable to try?", You are correct. There is no need to go back and buy an HDMI 2.0 cable if you are completely sure that the cable currently being used is HDMI 2.0 and if you already tested a different cable to rule out a possible problem with it. Some of the suggestions we provide are for testing purposes, we are not forcing you to purchase any of the components mentioned, we just wanted to confirm if you have the option to do tests. 

"I have found another notebook which is Intel UHD630 and it can display 4k@60Hz with the Dell monitor without any problem, using the same cable.", Yes, even if the graphics controller is different, if you have the chance, you can try to install that same driver version on this Notebook to verify if the problem gets fixed that way. It will let us know for sure if the problem is related to the driver or not.

"I have mentioned the reply from Dell and Fujitsu in the previous post before." "I have no word to say anymore and thanks for your time to check this problem", Yes, we completely understand what you mean, and it is important to mention that from our side, as well, we tried everything possible to try to fix this issue. We are sorry to hear the problem persists. From our results, we determined that the compatibility problem is between those specific products since the monitor works on a different Notebook and a different screen works with the Notebook in question.

At this point, one of the options left will be, again, to get in contact with Fujitsu directly, for them to determine if a physical inspection of the computer is needed. Or, to check if maybe you can take the monitor to them to see if they can replicate the issue using the same exact Notebook model that you are working with along with that specific monitor.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos