Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20590 Discussions

black screen after installing intel hd graphics 520

SiddharthSharma

When I try to install Intel hd graphics driver on my dell 5567 (i3 6006u, no dedicated graphics) my windows 10 screen goes black, I tried windows update, graphics driver from manufacture i.e. Dell's website and also from intel website but none of the works for me.

please help me I am not able to adjust brightness play videos or games. please help me as soon as you can and if you need any details let me know but please help me.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello SiddharthSharma

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

After checking this further, and considering at this point the laptop works fine with an external display, then the issue seems to be related to the built-in display.

If it works fine with the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter but not with the Intel Graphics driver, then our recommendation is to verify with laptop OEM, since it seems to be a physical damage/faulty component.

For your convenience, here is the link to DELL* Support.

Having said that, we will proceed to close this inquiry now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @SiddharthSharma

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to check this further, could you please provide the following information?

1- Did the system work fine before or are you experiencing this issue since the first day that you have the computer?

2- If this worked fine before at any moment, were there any recent hardware or software changes that might relate to the point when the issue started? (for instance, Windows® or driver updates?).

3- What are the graphics driver versions that you are trying to install and show this behavior?

4- Is this happening on the built-in display? Or also if you test using an external display using a straight-through connection (e.g. HDMI-to-HDMI)?

5- Do you see any error messages?

6- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.
  • To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
SiddharthSharma
@AndrewG_Intel please give me some solution I am waiting for your answer
0 Kudos
SiddharthSharma

Hello @AndrewG_Intel 

1. Yes, my system works fine before
2. No hardware or software changes but when I do fresh windows installation this problem suddenly pops up other than this there were no changes.
3. I tried the latest as well as some of the old versions of the Intel HD graphics 520 driver
4. Screen works fine on an external display connected through HDMI cable
5. No I don't see any error message it's just the screen goes black after driver installation.
6. I attach the file below

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello SiddharthSharma

Thank you very much for your response.

Based on the Intel® SSU, we noticed that the system is running graphics driver version 27.20.100.8854, which seems to be the latest customized driver provided by the computer manufacturer (OEM) Dell* as per their website: Inspiron 15 5567*.

Since the screen works fine on an external display and the issue persists even with old drivers (and we understand the system worked fine before), this might not be a driver issue. However, we would like to recommend a clean install of the graphics driver in order to discard driver-related issues. Please follow these steps:

Step 1 - Check Windows* updates:

• Click the Windows Start button. 
  • Click the search and type "Windows updates" and click on that option.
  • Select Check for Updates and ensure you have the latest Windows* version. 

Step 2 - Clean install of the Graphics Driver:

1- Download the latest DELL* driver from this link and save the file on the computer: Intel HD Graphics Driver, Version 27.20.100.8854, A18.

2- Disconnect from the internet to make sure the driver will not be automatically updated by Windows.

3- Right-click the Windows Start button. Select Device Manager.

4- Expand the section Display adapters and look for the Intel Graphics entry in Device Manager.

5- Right-click on Intel Graphics and click Uninstall.

6- In the device removal dialog box, check Delete the driver software for this device and click OK.

7- Restart the computer after the uninstallation is complete.

8- Open Device Manager once more.

9- Very Important: Expand the Display Adapter section again:

• If the graphics entry still displays Intel® HD Graphics 520 or similar, repeat steps 5-7.
  • If the graphics entry displays Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, run the previously downloaded .exe file to install the driver.

10- Reboot the computer when prompted.

If the issue persists, you can repeat the process using the latest Intel® generic driver (.exe file) from this link: 

Driver for Intel® HD Graphics 520 Version: 27.20.100.9466 (Latest).

Also, please run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool to verify that both the processor and the GPU (Graphics Processing Unite) are fine. To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply.

If the behavior persists, please provide a new Intel® SSU report with details of the outcome/behavior and the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool report.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
SiddharthSharma
@AndrewG_Intel
I am performing all the steps as you explained but both dell and intel graphics driver are not working and I am using intel processor tool for generating report right now but there is one thing I notice the graphics driver and graphics control panel works fine on external display but the graphics panel not detecting my laptop display it just detecting external display the laptop display works only when using Microsoft basic adapter and also when I install intel graphics driver there is a sound came
like its disconnecting something . I hope it helps to understand the issue and I will provide the report as soon as possible.
0 Kudos
SiddharthSharma

@AndrewG_Intel 

Graphics driver You suggest I download, both of them are not working, so I am attaching both reports as you said.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello SiddharthSharma

Thank you very much for your response. Please allow us to check this further and we will be posting more details as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello SiddharthSharma

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

After checking this further, and considering at this point the laptop works fine with an external display, then the issue seems to be related to the built-in display.

If it works fine with the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter but not with the Intel Graphics driver, then our recommendation is to verify with laptop OEM, since it seems to be a physical damage/faulty component.

For your convenience, here is the link to DELL* Support.

Having said that, we will proceed to close this inquiry now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos