Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20709 Discussions

eye strain

CNeub
Novice

hello,

I have a Notebook with Intel Core i7 4710 - Intel Graphics 4600 and external Nvidia Gforce GTX 850M for about 2 weeks now. I connect the Notebook on two different places per HDMI with nearly three year old lg monitors. With my old Notebook (Intel Core2Duo and Nvidia Gforce 9500GT) I had not any problems with this two monitors. However when I connect one of the two monitors with my new Notebook I get eye strain and headache. Of course I use the right resolution FullHD and tried out different brigthness and contrast adjustments in intel graphic properties. OS is Windows 7 Prof x64 and the newest drivers are installed. Version:15.33.22.64.3621

Nearly two months ago I purchased an other Notebook with Intel Core i7 4700MQ - Intel Graphics 4600 and Nvidia Gforce GT755 M. I had the same problem there and so I sent it back, because I thought that the Notebook has an defect. I tried out Windows 7 and Windows 8 and had the same eye problems in the two different OS.

Now I do not really know what the problem exactly is, because I have these problems with two different Notebooks on two different external LG Monitors and the integrated Displays of the Notebooks. But I thinkt the problem is the Intel HD 4600. Maybe that there is something wrong with the driver.

Do you have any ideas about this? Couse I can't purchase and send back new Notebooks all the time.

Sorry for my bad english

1 Solution
Bryce__Intel
Employee

All,

Apologies for the length in the time since our last update. In the elapsed time we've completed extensive and thorough testing of the issue you've reported to us. We sought external testing to ensure we weren't overlooking anything and to ensure unbiased results. We've worked with some of you individually, testing the actual platforms you're reporting the issue on with the specific drivers you claim are causing an issue. User Kray_62 sent us his system and we sent the unit and the drivers with & without perceived issues (version 2476 & 3347 respectively) to a 3rd party test lab [TUV Rheinland] who conducts eye comfort certification on visual displays. TUV tested various factors like luminance, color, flicker, and blue light. TUV's test results concluded no measurable difference between the drivers on neither internal nor external displays. Not to say there isn't a perceived issue, but without measurable differences between drivers, there is no objective way to resolve the issue. We have reached the end of our investigation and will be closing this issue.

.:Bryce:.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
405 Replies
ØPede
Beginner

Thanks, i have tried all that. It happens when reading, using laptop in general. Its like my eyes wont focus proper. That doesnt happen when im using laptop with radeon card. So i guess its the driver.

0 Kudos
CNeub
Novice

Well thanks for your help ricardo, but please do'nt come up with Fonts and Clear Type in this Thread any more. Many people are affected about my symptoms and they don't know what to do.

Font Size etc. can't be the cause of the heavy eyestrain and headache in the way I described it. In Addition to that I would say that I'm a heavy user andI wouldn't write in this thread if such easy things are the solution.

I'm definetly sure that the Intel driver causes the issues. You can find the same problem in different threads and forums. After an certain intel graphics update (I don't know which one) many people, who never had problems with monitors, led, etc, were affected by my described issues.

sincerely21

do you have a knewer amd graphics card? Cause my notebook is getting really old now and cause the same problems which you described, I can't work with an new notebook with Intel graphics.

Along the way, maybe the problem is caused by anti aliasing fonts and not pwm.

But without any Information from Intel I can't help you and I'm pretty sure that Intel don't care about us.

0 Kudos
ØPede
Beginner

Yes, thats what happened to me also. After I updated the intel drivers, the strain appeared. And even when i try to install previous driver its still strainy (probably intel that has applied something in a file that only they know how to reverse). I think Intel knows the problem. I only have this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-Satellite-C660D-10W-Processor-Windows/dp/B00462QLOM Toshiba Satellite C660D-10W 15.6 inch Laptop (AMD V140 Processor, 2GB RAM, 320GB HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium): Amazon.co… computer now. And I can watch it hours without strain (cleartype is on by the way). But its slow so i need a better computer. I have ordered this http://www.siba.no/aktuelle-kampanjer/nyheter/dataprodukter/asus-x550ze-dm051h-121216 ASUS X550ZE 15,6" FHD, AMD FX-7600P & Radeon R7 M270X 2GB computer. Im getting it in a week or two. I will try it out for eyes and tell how it is. Its without the intel graphics (Thank God). And theres absolutely nothing wrong with my eyesight.

0 Kudos
CNeub
Novice

Well I also want to try out an AMD notebook, but I want to wait for Win10 too.

So I think we are pretty sure that the Intel graphics driver causes the problem. But they don't want to tell us what has changed. If there is an update which makes things for other people better it will be ok if i can turn off such innovations. But Intel isn't telling us anything and they know that they have nearly a monopol, so they don't care.

You can also check out this thread. It describes exactly the same symptoms and experiences as I do, but there is also no solution.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-Tablets/Thinkpad-8-tablet-eye-strain/td-p/1711715 https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-Tablets/Thinkpad-8-tablet-eye-strain/td-p/1711715
0 Kudos
ØPede
Beginner

Yes,I agree, theres nothing we can do for now. They also have the same problem at the link you posted, but weird that the guy didnt get eyestrain with the other intel hd 3000 driver he had on his other harddrive. Maybe its possible to find that old intel driver that doesnt cause strain somewhere...

0 Kudos
CNeub
Novice

Well I also thought about that. With the information in this thread we maybe find out the driver version when the eyestrain began and then look at the changelog.

But this well be a lot of work.

0 Kudos
CoryJ_K_Intel
Employee

Have you all tried setting the monitor refresh rate to the highest value the system will let you?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/correct-monitor-flicker-refresh-rate# 1TC=windows-7 Correct monitor flicker (refresh rate) - Windows Help

It might be that the driver is defaulting to a funky refresh rate. You want >60Hz if possible.

0 Kudos
ØPede
Beginner

Nope, this has nothing to do with it. I tried it. its 60hz just like on the radeon machine.

0 Kudos
ØPede
Beginner

True, thats kinda why i bought the new amd machine. Its not really ours problem, its intel that has screwed it up.

0 Kudos
CNeub
Novice

well cklatik

thanks for your help, but as I mentionend....as a "power user" I would think about the refresh rate on my own.

...and as described why should the refresh rate change after a driver update. The symptoms startet after a certain driver version and we don't know what has changed.

And once again please no tips which are about refresh rate, font size, clear type etc. This things are not the problem and can't cause such heavy issues

sincerely21 Yeah you're right. So I hope that the AMD system will work for us, cause otherwise, I don't know what to do any more.

0 Kudos
CNeub
Novice

hey sincerely21 how is the new notebook? is everything fine with your eyes?

0 Kudos
ØPede
Beginner

Hi

I tested the notebook and it was a mess. Artifacts on 3d programs and it locked up 3 times, so I think its faulty. Had to send it back. Display was not as hard on eyes as intel, but not as good as the old notebook... I dont know what to do now.. I think i give up and just use the old notebook. Cant risk my eyes.

0 Kudos
CNeub
Novice

hey sincerely21

hm. ok. well that is really a big problem now. I'm also using my 6 year old notebook now. But that is no solution for the future. But I also have no better idea as waiting.

May you give me your email address. So we can share our experiences and ideas...

0 Kudos
ØPede
Beginner

yes that would be fine, you can contact me at mailto:ysteinpedersen@yahoo.no ysteinpedersen@yahoo.no

By the way, have you tried to disable the intel power saving technology as someone in that tread experienced eye strain when its on: http://www.istartedsomething.com/20090723/lesson-intel-graphics-power-saving-feature/ When "smart" technology is dumb: a lesson in Intel graphics power-saving features | istartedsomething

0 Kudos
CNeub
Novice

Well I figured out some options which can cause the heavy eyestrain, motion sickness and headache.

1.) PWM frequency was reduced after a certain driver update. Maybe due to defintion on the image, or powersaving,...

2.) Image with new graphic card has more fidelity and contrast even with the same old monitor and eyes has problems to focus on the "better" image. So we have to investigate if a more blurry picutre will be better for us.

3.) forced anti aliasing or temporal dithering gives us the problems. A simple option to disable such "improvements" will help a lot.

4.) power saving mode which changes brightness and contrast all the time and you can't turn off

5.) ...

of course there are other possibilities, but after spending a lot of time searching for the reason for the issues I would say that the options mentioned above are the most probable options.

But in all cases an intel expert could help so many peopple if he just takes 5 minutes of his time if he just gives a statement to the different options.

So please please please intel forum guides be so kind and ask a real expert in your company. Many people are affected by the same symptoms and I'm pretty sure that there is the ONE reason which causes all the trouble. We also have very much money which we can't spend to buy intel products if there is no statement from you.
0 Kudos
MMira6
Beginner

Hello.

I am also confirming problems with eyes at job on my 2 newest computers which have Intel HD Graphics 4600 drivers.

I have tried many different options, disabled ClearType, antialising, max brightness, low brightness, tried flux software, tried Dimmer, tried tahoma fonts, used also this instructions:

http://hellspawndev.blogspot.si/2011/06/completley-disbable-font-smoothing-and.html http://hellspawndev.blogspot.si/2011/06/completley-disbable-font-smoothing-and.html

None of it helped enough so my eyes still hurt.

I have seen an eye expert but my eyes are ok.

Very sure there is the problem in Intel drivers but not all people are sensitive to this problem.

I tested it on 4 different monitors (Philips 170S, 220SW, 240B tft and the newest 240 B-LED).

I have tried on all possible input ports (VGA, DVI, Display Port).

On each monitor my eyes hurt. The exact same monitor connected on the old XP computer gives me absolutely no eye strain.

Has anyone tried some live linux cd if it is better?

Has anyone tried to force some older Intel drivers id there is any difference?

A good friend of mine suggested me to try buying some usb video card with non Intel drivers and to try it. This would perhaps be good temporary solution if it worked.

Intel experts please help us with this problem. Please help us to find solution to our problem.

Greetings.

0 Kudos
CNeub
Novice

Hey MiranSMS

I've made the same experience as you. New graphics card + old monitor = eyestrain.

It's definitely the intel driver. But you won't get an answer from the intel guys. I don't really know why. It would be easy for them to help us. But they just don't care...

May you give me your email address to share our experience and so on?!

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Guys,

We really need to look into this issue and have a clear picture of the problem you are having.

Please provide me with all the information that is being requested here:

/thread/77761 https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761

0 Kudos
CNeub
Novice

Well I don't have a notebook with Intel HD 4xxx which gives me really bad eyestrain and headache in front of me now.

In the attachment is the data of my working desktop computer (university) which gives me also the eyestrain, motion sickness and headache, but interestingly not as bad as the notebook graphics I mentioned. But it's still impossible to work on it for more than 1-2 hours.

0 Kudos
MMira6
Beginner

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue AND 'does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?' If you can offer a % rate please do.

It happens instantly and everytime 100%. Sore eyes already in the first minute of using computer displays, hard focusing, dizziness, pain, eye strain... On the same displays on an older computer with the same display resolution and refresh rate my eyes do not hurt at all.

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

HP EliteDesk 800 G1 SFF

Hybrid or switchable graphics system? ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Only Graphics Intel HD 4600

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below).

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in) 

Philips 170S, 220SW, 240B TFT and the newest 240 B-LED

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

16 GB

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.

ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc

Tested with cables VGA, DVI, DP. Eye strain an all ports.

Hardware Stepping (see note1 below).

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0412&SUBSYS_1998103C&REV_06

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0412&SUBSYS_1998103C

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0412&CC_030000

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0412&CC_0300

Software (SW)

Operating System version (see note2 below).

Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)

Service Pack 1<td style="border: none; padding: 0 5.4pt 0 5.4pt; border-right: solid wi...
0 Kudos
MMira6
Beginner
0 Kudos