Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20597 Discussions

i5 1135g7 cant set resolution 2560x1080(21:9)

user122
Beginner

Hi,

I bought a new Dell laptop with Intel i5 1135g7 and on the connected monitor I can not set the desired resolution of 2560 1080 (21: 9).

Later I replaced this laptop with the same one, but the problem remained.
I use the HDMI 1.4 cable that came with the monitor, also I bought a new HDMI 2.1 cable, but it didn't help (((
on an old laptop with i5 7200U everything works fine.

I will be grateful for your help!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @user122

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. Since our support is only provided in English we may not be able to translate screenshots attached to the thread.

In order to check this behavior further, could you please confirm the following information?

1- We understand this is a new laptop. Is the behavior happening since the very first day that you have the laptop?

2- What refresh rate are you trying to achieve with the desired resolution of 2560x1080(21:9)? Perhaps 60Hz as we see in one of the pictures?

3- We understand that you are unable to achieve this resolution on both Windows® and Linux operating systems. Is this correct?

4- Are you using a straight-through connection HDMI-to-HDMI with a single cable to connect to the display? Or are you using any type of video adapters, converters, or dockings? Please provide details.

5- Are you trying to set this resolution using the "Custom Resolution" feature?

Have you tried using the regular menu options? For instance: Intel® Graphics Command Center > Display > General tab > Resolution drop-down list ?

6- Display brand and model. Also, are you able to test with another display just for testing purposes?

7- Please provide a Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers following the steps on the link.

8- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.
  • To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
user122
Beginner

Hello,

1- yes, on the new laptop I can't set 2560x1080

2- the monitor LG 29WL500-B support 60Hz and 75Hz

3- yes, I could't to achieve this resolution on both Windows® and Linux operating systems

4- yes, HDMI-to-HDMI, only HDMI cable

5- I am trying to set this resolution using the "Custom Resolution" and standard ways, I attach screenshot

6- monitor LG 29WL500-B,  unfortunately, I don't have another monitor, but i can provide a screenshot of the settings of the same monitor with an old laptop, which allows set resolution 2560x1080

7- attached

8- attached

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello user122

Thank you very much for all the information provided.

After checking this further, based on the Intel SSU report, we noticed you are currently running the latest Intel® generic graphics driver "27.20.100.9316" and as per information in your previous posts, we noticed that you also tested with the latest DELL* driver "27.20.100.8853". We also checked the specifications of the laptop DELL* Vostro 3500 and it just says that it comes with HDMI* 1.4 but not specifies what is the exact HDMI® 1.4 revision).

Depending on the HDMI revision (1.4a perhaps?) it might be having difficulties driving ultrawide resolutions. Looking at the EDID information (Extended Display Identification Data) from the Graphics Report the driver is reading correctly that the monitor supports 2560x1080 thus the issue looks to be more on the output itself (HDMI).

Having said that, and considering that you already tested with (1) different HDMI cables, (2) different drivers, (3) different operating systems "Linux and Windows*", etc, what we recommend is to report this to the laptop manufacturer (OEM), in this case, DELL* Support and check with them for a potential fix via BIOS/vBIOS.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello user122

You are very welcome, and thank you for your response and for sharing the link from the DELL* website, hopefully, it may be useful for other community peers having similar issues to confirm if that is due to OEM design.

Having said that, we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

It has been a pleasure to assist you and best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos