Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

i7-10th gen UHD causes videos to "bleed through" everything.

Austin
Beginner

I've got an MSI Prestige 15, i7-10710U CPU, also has an Nvidia Dedicated GPU.
Win 10 home, 64-bit. Updated and latest everything, drivers, bios, firmware, etc.

For about 2 months now I've had a super annoying issue. Certain videos "bleed through" windows that overlay on top of them. For example, If i put a window on top of a zoom call, the top window becomes bright and distorted and I see the videos of zoom participants coming through. And on youtube, the scrubber bar, the timeline thumbnail that pops up, and any banner advertisements are all see-through.

If you do any photo or video editing, it's almost like an additive effect (I believe it's called) when you layer two videos / images. Black video doesn't do anything, but the lighter the color, the more it "bleeds through" - white video makes anything overlapping it completely white and unreadable.

I've tracked it down to the UHD, and when I uninstall the UHD drivers and run off windows basic drivers, the issue is completely gone. I've tried the latest drivers, beta drivers, and went back to old drivers from a year ago. All the same result. The moment I install the drivers, I start getting this issue.

I opened up VLS, same problem. So it doesn't seem to be linked to a particular program.

I've also noticed that when I have an external monitor plugged in, it does NOT do this on the external monitor, only the built-in screen.

I've tried changing every graphics and power setting I can find, removed anything that might even remotely interact with graphics (A few MSI apps, color calibration apps, intel, drivers, disable dedicated GPU, etc)

Any thoughts on what might be causing this? I've got about 1 month left on my warranty, but hoping this is just a software issue.I've tried doing an in-place upgrade to win 10 with no results, I guess my next step would be clean install which i'm trying to avoid, but it is what it is.

I might try and make sure it's not a RAM issue. IDK why it would be, but I've had RAM do some odd things in the past.

I tried to take a screenshot, but screenshots don't show the issue, they look normal...

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Maria_R_Intel

Hello Austin,

Thank you for the information provided.

Actually, you're right, this can be a compatibility issue with the driver you were using. Based on the reports, the driver version that was installed (27.20.100.8681) is the latest generic version from Intel*.

The hybrid graphics systems are usually designed to run graphically demanding tasks that can be optimized to run on discrete graphics as recommended by the computer or graphics card manufacturer. The best thing to do is to use the drivers that are provided by the system manufacturer to eliminate the potential impact caused by loading non-customized drivers (Intel's generic drivers that were not tested on your specific system). The system manufacturers regularly customize Intel generic drivers to meet the needs of their specific system design. In such cases, the use of the Intel generic driver update is not recommended.

As you're using a laptop with hybrid graphics, this is a highly customized system and my recommendation, as I mentioned before is to keep using the manufacturer's drivers. I also encourage you to check this with MSI* for the proper driver installed and more advises on their system.

Best regards,

Maria R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Austin
Beginner

I realized I was connecting to my external monitor through thunderbolt. I just swiched over to HDMI out and I have the same issue on the internal and external monitor.

Strangely enough, changing certain settings such as flipping / rotating the screen, changing resolution, etc make the problem go away.

It is a 4k monitor.

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello Austin,

Thank you for posting on the Intel* Community.

We would like to have more information about it, can you please provide the below details?

• When you connect the external display do you use straight connections? (HDMI* to HDMI*, thunderbolt* to thunderbolt*)
  • Please provide the details about the resolution, and refresh you used for the tests.
  • Can you please provide a video of the issue?

Please run the following tool in Windows* and attach the report generated. 

Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) 

• Intel® SSU Download
  • Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View". 
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". 
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save". 

With the external display connected, provide the Intel* Graphics Command Center report:

>Go to the Intel Graphics Command Center

>Support

>System Diagnostic

>Generate report.

>Attach the report file.

Best regards,

Maria R.

0 Kudos
Austin
Beginner

Hello Maria, thank you for your help! 😊

The issue resolved itself for a few days, and now has returned this afternoon. I was browsing stock footage videos on pexels.com/videos when the screen went blank multiple times, then the issue returned. I am not sure if it related to the video driver update that was installed today, but I will attempt to roll back and see if that resolves the issue.

To answer your questions:

When you connect the external display do you use straight connections? (HDMI* to HDMI*, thunderbolt* to thunderbolt*)
The issue happens both when an external display is attached, as well as when it is not attached.
I have tried a direct HDMI to HDMI connection, as well as Thunderbolt to HDMI via a USB-C hub.
I also disabled the dedicated GPU to verify that the issue was in fact coming from the integrated graphics.

Please provide the details about the resolution, and refresh you used for the tests. Can you please provide a video of the issue?
Previously, setting the built-in screen resolution to 1080 / Full HD would resolve the issue, but it would return once the screen was set to 4k again.
Rotating or flipping the screen resolves the issue immediately.
Screen capture programs do not reflect the issue, they display correctly.
Please see the attached video. You may need to play it in VLC.

I have also attached the results from Intel SSU, as well as the Command Center diagnostic.

0 Kudos
Austin
Beginner

I just replied to this message but I do not see the reply...  Hopefully it is awaiting approval because of the attachments.

I wanted to add that if I open device manager in windows, disable the integrated graphics, and then reenable them, the problem goes away. Though I also lose the ability to change the panel brightness.

0 Kudos
Austin
Beginner

Just in case my last reply did not post for some reason, here it is again:

Thank you very much for your help, Maria.

When you connect the external display do you use straight connections? (HDMI* to HDMI*, thunderbolt* to thunderbolt*)
The issue now persists regardless if I use an external monitor or not. It appears 100% of the time on both monitors. I have tried HDMI to HDMI, as well as thunderbolt to HDMI.

Please provide the details about the resolution, and refresh you used for the tests. Can you please provide a video of the issue?
Before, changing resolution resolved the issue. Now the issue persists unless I flip the screen, or change it to portrait orientation.

I have attached a video of the problem, as well as the two diagnostics.

Thank you very much for your help!

0 Kudos
Austin
Beginner

I've rolled all the way back to driver 26.20.100.6911 (the latest listed on MSI's website for the Prestige 15)  and it seems to have fixed the issue for now, I will see what happens over the coming days. I also uninstalled two MSI apps that I wanted to make sure were not causing the issue, I have since reinstalled and will continue to troubleshoot, but this seems to be a driver issue.

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello Austin,

Thank you for the information provided.

Actually, you're right, this can be a compatibility issue with the driver you were using. Based on the reports, the driver version that was installed (27.20.100.8681) is the latest generic version from Intel*.

The hybrid graphics systems are usually designed to run graphically demanding tasks that can be optimized to run on discrete graphics as recommended by the computer or graphics card manufacturer. The best thing to do is to use the drivers that are provided by the system manufacturer to eliminate the potential impact caused by loading non-customized drivers (Intel's generic drivers that were not tested on your specific system). The system manufacturers regularly customize Intel generic drivers to meet the needs of their specific system design. In such cases, the use of the Intel generic driver update is not recommended.

As you're using a laptop with hybrid graphics, this is a highly customized system and my recommendation, as I mentioned before is to keep using the manufacturer's drivers. I also encourage you to check this with MSI* for the proper driver installed and more advises on their system.

Best regards,

Maria R.

0 Kudos
Austin
Beginner

Thank you for your support.

It is becoming extremely frustrating, since the intel drivers worked wonderfully up until a month or two ago. Now windows automatically updates the drivers every time I restart.

I will contact MSI in hopes that they can resolve the issue.

Thank you for your help.

-Austin

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello Austin,

Since the thread is solved, we will proceed to close it.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Maria R.

0 Kudos