Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20498 Discussions

iGFXEM Module causing high CPU usage

Felis
Beginner

The last two DCH drivers have been causing iGFXEM.exe to consume a lot of CPU on startup, pushing the fans to the limit under no load all the way to thermal throttling limit. Only old threads are available for this issue and they all claim the issue was fixed by updating drivers years ago.

I'm using a Clevo P955ER with the latest Windows 10 build, manufacturer drivers are very outdated and the Driver and Support Assistant automatically updates from them. This issue did not exist in previous drivers for my device.

Clean installing drivers does nothing to fix this - only killing the task helps, and causes no discernible issues with video rendering.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

What is your processor model number?

Why are you not using the non-DCH drivers?

What version of Windows 10 are you running? 1903? 1809?, 1803?, Other?

You should complain to clevo about the outdated drivers.

Doc

0 Kudos
Felis
Beginner

i7-8750H. Non-DCH drivers are not available for this model. Windows 10 build 1903, updated just now.

I have previously installed new Intel drivers without issue, so I doubt the problem is with running non-OEM drivers. This model may be past end of life for its support.

Edit: About 15 minutes after updating to latest drivers (attempted unsuccessful rollback), the module is still holding at 15-17% of my laptop's CPU usage, about the same as a game I'm running to see if it has any additional effects. Actual iGPU usage when the game is not running is low, as expected, but background CPU usage remains high.

Graphics Command Center settings are set to Balanced.

taskmanager.png

0 Kudos
Felis
Beginner

Another update: Rolled back successfully to the drivers that came with the machine. The module is still misbehaving. Malwarebytes threat scan is clean, adware scan is clean. If the original drivers are doing this, could it be Windows itself returning some error?

0 Kudos
Felis
Beginner

Doesn't help, it's not even compatible with my chip whatsoever.

Well, after more testing different drivers, it seems the problem isn't on the Intel driver end, because it does the same thing on legacy drivers and is likely something to do with Windows' 1903 build.

0 Kudos